Hello from Ottawa Canada

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this seems to be a pretty cool place :)

I've been shopping around for a single camera and the more I search, the more niche it seems my application is..

I have the most gorgeous view out of my bedroom window, I can see for about 100 km out into the sunset over a large lake with mountains behind.

I want to purchase a dedicated 4k60 camera that I can use to stream to YouTube 24/7. I've got a lot of experience with livestreaming, I can use an RTMP/RTSP over ethernet/Wi-Fi, direct HDMI, or a USB connection.
I need somewhere between 4 and 12 x optical zoom
Good quality at night would be nice but not necessary.
Weatherproof is a must, the camera will be mounted to the railing of my balcony where it will receive wind gusts that could be anywhere from 50-100 km/hr in stormy weather

Light will not be a problem, if anything it's a concern because the sun will be in the frame for half the day and I want to too look at least somewhat nice.

My budget is $400-800 USD. Any suggestions?
Also I want it kindof.. yesterday, the ice is starting to break up and I really really wanted to film that this year..

Here's an example of the view, shot with a Nikon D3300

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

I'll assume that 4K60 means 8MP at 60 frames per second.

I know of no reasonable priced video surveillance camera that can meet that spec nor do I understand why you need 60FPS for a scenic view camera with very little motion. Hollyweird productions are filmed at 24FPS. Most here using cameras for surveillance set the somewhere between 8 and 20FPS and produce good video. High frame rates just aren't needed. The amount of data generated, and potentially streamed, from an 8MP camera running at 60FPS will bog down any internet connection and YouTube won't even come close to displaying that from what I've seen. Keep in mind that most are interested in good low light capability from surveillance cameras.

That said, any prosumer surveillance camera will be able to handle your environment. Wind, rain and temperature are non factors. Focal length can be a problem though. There are some good 8MP cameras being used for surveillance but they are 2.8, 3.6 or 6mm lenses. There may be a varifocal available, 3-12mm but I'm not sure about that.

I'd say to contact Andy at EmpireTech, a forum member, and check with him directly. He is very reliable and has excellent pricing. His cameras are OEM Dahua or Hikvision and can be safely upgraded when newer, more feature rich or debugged, firmware comes out. In fact he frequently gets updates from Dahua that never appear on the Dahua site and he works with Dahua, directly, to implement changes suggested by member of this forum.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

A couple of 8MP to look at -

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The reason I want 60fps is because, especially on sunny days in the afternoon, the water is incredibly detailed and has so much motion that it can overload the h.264 encoder in my Lumix camera causing it to glitch out and produce junk data. This is at 100 megabit 4k30. This also helps with algorithm ranking.

Now that I think more about it, I'm very unlikely to be zoomed in that far.

Example of said glitch:

That being said, 60fps is probably the first feature I could drop, especially if that means I have to spend $1500 on a camera vs $500..

Regarding the internet connection, I'll be subscribing to a dedicated line for this stream, probably ~25 megabit upload speed

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look through your links!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That glitch is a result of frame rate versus iframe and has nothing to do with overall FPS. As an example, I run my cameras at 15FPS with an iframe of 15. That means a full frame every second. At lower bit rates on a 4MP camera, below 8192b/ps, there is a definite pulsing to the video. I have increased the bit rate to 10240 and maintained the frame and iframe rates. There is still a minor pulse, but you have to watch for it. I guess if I pushed the bit rate higher it would eventually disappear, but I'm not producing a movie that people pay to see. Eventually storage space becomes my problem.

In terms of upload it's the totals that your ISP may find problematic.

Reaction score
After some searching it looks like my best choice would be the Dahua IPC-HFW71242H-Z
I should be able to load that as RTMP/RTSP source in OBS and use it for my livestream, zoom to more than enough as well as have extra pixels for digital cropping (if necessary)

As for data usage, I am aware of the potential issue with uploading terabytes of data/month. Thank you though, It's definitely an important thing to be aware of.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of before I order it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are paying for a lot of features you don't need - it does plate reading - why pay for something you won't be using?

The focal length is not that great and for the views you have, you would want something that has more zoom.

Realistically, you need a PTZ. As mentioned above, you should reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY and have him provide a recommendation.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say get the appropriate box to house the RJ45 connector. Also invest in some self amalgamating tape like Coax Seal, quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88 and some dielectric grease. Use the dielectric grease on the RJ45 before plugging in, a little dab will work. Then wrap with the self amalgamating tape and extend that past the cable gland by an inch or so on each end. Then wrap that with electrical tape extending another inch past the self amalgamating tape. Moisture becomes very problematic and even the minor condensation caused by changing temperature will, eventually, lead to problems.

Personally, for low light performance, I wouldn't choose that camera though.

Reaction score
You are paying for a lot of features you don't need - it does plate reading - why pay for something you won't be using?

The focal length is not that great and for the views you have, you would want something that has more zoom.

Realistically, you need a PTZ. As mentioned above, you should reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY and have him provide a recommendation.
Ok I'll do that. Thank you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, contact Andy directly with what you're trying to do. He is a true expert with Dahua and can also get a lot of models that are not listed in his store.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this seems to be a pretty cool place :)

I've been shopping around for a single camera and the more I search, the more niche it seems my application is..

I have the most gorgeous view out of my bedroom window, I can see for about 100 km out into the sunset over a large lake with mountains behind.

I want to purchase a dedicated 4k60 camera that I can use to stream to YouTube 24/7. I've got a lot of experience with livestreaming, I can use an RTMP/RTSP over ethernet/Wi-Fi, direct HDMI, or a USB connection.
I need somewhere between 4 and 12 x optical zoom
Good quality at night would be nice but not necessary.
Weatherproof is a must, the camera will be mounted to the railing of my balcony where it will receive wind gusts that could be anywhere from 50-100 km/hr in stormy weather

Light will not be a problem, if anything it's a concern because the sun will be in the frame for half the day and I want to too look at least somewhat nice.

My budget is $400-800 USD. Any suggestions?
Also I want it kindof.. yesterday, the ice is starting to break up and I really really wanted to film that this year..

Here's an example of the view, shot with a Nikon D3300
Welcome @nathanaelnewton

Keep us informed on how your project goes!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
No need cost such big money, just use the IPC-Color4K-X , it has the best pics day and night for camera lower than 300usd

@bp2008 and @NightLife wonderful videos.
EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-X is an amazing weather cam | IP Cam Talk
Red vixen chases grey and her mate...all over! | IP Cam Talk
See the stars on the sky.
Courting red foxes are goofy | IP Cam Talk

Or use this 12MP. Daytime should be sharper than the Color4K-X, but nighttime the 4K-X also can be better
IPC-HFW71242H-Z (dahuasecurity.com)

Last edited:
Reaction score
No need cost such big money, just use the IPC-Color4K-X , it has the best pics day and night for camera lower than 300usd

@bp2008 and @NightLife wonderful videos.
EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-X is an amazing weather cam | IP Cam Talk
Red vixen chases grey and her mate...all over! | IP Cam Talk
See the stars on the sky.
Courting red foxes are goofy | IP Cam Talk

Or use this 12MP. Daytime should be sharper than the Color4K-X, but nighttime the 4K-X also can be better
IPC-HFW71242H-Z (dahuasecurity.com)
I really like the IPC-Color4K-X however the field of view is too wide for my application.
The maximum field of view I can use is about 65-70 degrees so a varifocal camera is much better.

I think the IPC-HFW71242H-Z might be the best choice due to the high resolution and optical zoom.