Hello from Socal

Rx38-

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

new member here. Referred by mat2000 at Slickdeals who talks about security cameras over there.

im a newb when it comes to these. Looking for some help for a 4-6 camera system for home that’s POE.

Reaction score
Hi there,

new member here. Referred by mat2000 at Slickdeals who talks about security cameras over there.

im a newb when it comes to these. Looking for some help for a 4-6 camera system for home that’s POE.
Welcome to your new addiction. Within an hour or so, our veteran members will be posting here to tell you to read the wiki; don't chase megapixels-- chase SENSOR SIZE; Varifocal is almost always better; and BlueIris beats the hell out of NVR's for most people; and they will be right!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi there,

Welcome! A tonne of good information here as @sdkid says. Listen to the pros and it will pay dividends. I know it has for me.

Rx38-

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all. I was hoping there’s a kit to just get. But if I have to piece it out, I wouldn’t mind someone walking me through where to get. And sale items is greatly appreciated. We’re on a single income but will try not to compromise on a good setup for kids safety and all.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there,

Welcome @Rx38-

Good to see you join us ..

Give us an idea of your house and street layout and what you want to functionally accomplish, as well as where you currently want to mount your cameras.

Feel free to do this in a new thread ..

Reaction score
Thank you all. I was hoping there’s a kit to just get. But if I have to piece it out, I wouldn’t mind someone walking me through where to get. And sale items is greatly appreciated. We’re on a single income but will try not to compromise on a good setup for kids safety and all.
there are a LOT of people who bought a "kit" system, and then came here to get answers as to why it sucked so bad and how to fix it. :cool: The answer is pretty universal-- get rid of the kit system. If you buy individual cameras with the specs you need for the specific areas you want to keep under surveillance, you will be MILES ahead of the game.

Make sure you check out BlueIris software (BI)... It is exceptional and will run on a cheap computer. There is a LOT of info about hardware needed, and setting it up. You can Start out with a SINGLE camera (or maybe two) to play around with and get a feel for the settings. There is a learning curve, but you can definitely take it in bites and learn as you go.

The perceptions you have NOW about cameras will change as you learn more. :thumb: I started with 2 cameras 10 and a half years ago and I am up to 9 cameras now-- and I don't know HALF of what the real pros here know. What I DO know is that I have been running my system on an OLD computer 24/7 for over 7 years now, and it still runs awesome with minimal "interventions" by me. It just runs. I don't think anyone has really gotten that kind of longevity or functionality out of an NVR-- but there are many here who use them and prefer them.

Don't get overwhelmed--- pretty much, the answers are right here in the forum.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends on your time frame. A couple of years ago I needed cameras for a rental house I'd just kicked bad tenants out of. I didn't have a lot of time, so I got a system in a box from Lorex, installed it in a day, and it has done what I needed it to do. In the two years since, I've slowly built something I like much better for my home, but I've had the luxury of reading what the smart people here had to say.