hello from Texas!

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
just bought a new house - it is pre-wired with cat5 for security cameras ..... I'm not too computer savvy...so I will continue reading before I make my first purchase.

thanks
Bill

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just bought a new house - it is pre-wired with cat5 for security cameras ..... I'm not too computer savvy...so I will continue reading before I make my first purchase.

thanks
Bill
Welcome Bill,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Bill,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
thanks, Matt, swamped im am! i have read your post at least a dozen times.... my starlight was delivered today, so I'm anxious to get it up and running. Its the only camera i have purchased so far, and seriously debating if I should get the Costco 4k kit, and just add it on to it! lots of info to digest and try and make sense.... already order a refurbished PC and was planning on buying blue iris, but now ...im just not sure which direction i should take.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, Matt, swamped im am! i have read your post at least a dozen times.... my starlight was delivered today, so I'm anxious to get it up and running. Its the only camera i have purchased so far, and seriously debating if I should get the Costco 4k kit, and just add it on to it! lots of info to digest and try and make sense.... already order a refurbished PC and was planning on buying blue iris, but now ...im just not sure which direction i should take.
Hi BV,

You're off to a good start! It's easy to wonder what to do and second guess your choices, a lot of us are probably doing that.

The most import thing now for you is to start to play with the starlight and try out different locations - that will help you decide what how many cameras you'd like.

The next big think will be wiring up your place.

Also do take a look at the notes I put in the SD wiki and look at those videos references I have gathered - as they should give you a good idea of placements - between those notes and the notes here you should have plenty to read.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After months of contemplation, I finally decide to go the BI route in the next couple of months. It is a little more expensive, but I want maximum flexibility, like adding a doorbell camera (from any manufacturer) eventually, and am not too crazy about the security vulnerabilities with the Dahua NVR's. While those vulnerabilities can be mitigated, Dahua is not very good at posting firmware and documenting changes in the firmware.

That is my input.

Mark

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks, Mat, really appreciate your comments, luckily in my new house, I had the builder to prewired cat5 in 5 locations (all 4 corners of the house and front door) i still need to add the rj45 connections, but all the cables are in!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, Mat, really appreciate your comments, luckily in my new house, I had the builder to prewired cat5 in 5 locations (all 4 corners of the house and front door) i still need to add the rj45 connections, but all the cables are in!
HI Bill,

Excellent, that part is typically the hardest.

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
After months of contemplation, I finally decide to go the BI route in the next couple of months. It is a little more expensive, but I want maximum flexibility, like adding a doorbell camera (from any manufacturer) eventually, and am not too crazy about the security vulnerabilities with the Dahua NVR's. While those vulnerabilities can be mitigated, Dahua is not very good at posting firmware and documenting changes in the firmware.

That is my input.

Mark
thanks Mark - being i already have the PC and one camera, I will likely play with it for a bit as Mat suggest play around and see how i get on with it

thanks
Bill

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
quick question for you guys - i have enlisted the help of my retired dad, (he knows a lot more than me about IP address, CPU, modems, VPN ect....). so the PC is at his house and i will bring the starlight to him this weekend. He is in is early 70's and pretty excited to help me, it gives him something to do while retired. Once he has it up and running, assume its relatively easy to un plug it all and move to my place? for me to tinker with it

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, assuming the IP address subnets are the same, like 192.168.1.x, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
quick question for you guys - i have enlisted the help of my retired dad, (he knows a lot more than me about IP address, CPU, modems, VPN ect....). so the PC is at his house and i will bring the starlight to him this weekend. He is in is early 70's and pretty excited to help me, it gives him something to do while retired. Once he has it up and running, assume its relatively easy to un plug it all and move to my place? for me to tinker with it
HI Bill,

Sounds like your dad could use one also ;-)

The camera settings will stick once you've set them when it powers off.