hello, I'm new, what is "ANGLE" in the DORI calculation

f3honda4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I am working on a setup for my home and plan to use Blue Iris with POE cameras. I found this forum and have been reading all of the various wiki articles and information. In the cliff notes article here IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes there is a section that talks about the calculation for Radius for 100 PPF. The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi

In that equation it has "Angle". Where/how do you get the angle for a particular camera? Is that the "field of view" spec on the camera, such as 104 degrees?

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Angle refers to the tilt of the camera based on the center of the lens focal point.

f3honda4me

n3wb
Reaction score
So the vertical angle from the height of where the camera is? Do you have an example maybe, which might help me understand? Sorry I'm a noob. :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that DORI is under ideal, perfect scenarios with no motion and night is with the shutter slowed way down.

Real word DORI will be nowhere near those numbers.

With movement, we have seen you probably have to cut the numbers in at least half, and then at night cut that daytime reduction number at least in half.

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations to IDENTIFY based on focal length, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I am working on a setup for my home and plan to use Blue Iris with POE cameras. I found this forum and have been reading all of the various wiki articles and information. In the cliff notes article here IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes there is a section that talks about the calculation for Radius for 100 PPF. The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi

In that equation it has "Angle". Where/how do you get the angle for a particular camera? Is that the "field of view" spec on the camera, such as 104 degrees?
Hi @f3honda4me

The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi

Angle in this case is the H FOV specs from the camera ( if fixed lens, have to play around for the varifocal lens ) ...

This calculates the distance from the camera to the 100 ppf mark ..

btw thanks, I've added more clarity to the equation in the cliff notes.

You can add more trigonometry to the equation if the camera is significantly above face level ...
( which is what you get when you use Lens Calculator

note, they use ppm vs the ppf in our DORI calculations .. 1680131737971.png
)

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @f3honda4me

The equation to calculate the Radius (the distance in feet) for identification for 100 ppf as discussed above: Radius = (( Horizontal Res / 100 ppf ) * ( 360 / Angle ))/2*Pi

Angle in this case is the H FOV specs from the camera ( if fixed lens, have to play around for the varifocal lens ) ...

You can add more trigonometry to the equation if the camera is significantly above face level ...

note, they use ppm vs the ppf in our DORI calculations .. View attachment 158530
)
You can change from Meters to Feet at the top which makes PPM > PPF.

f3honda4me

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind that DORI is under ideal, perfect scenarios with no motion and night is with the shutter slowed way down.

Real word DORI will be nowhere near those numbers.

With movement, we have seen you probably have to cut the numbers in at least half, and then at night cut that daytime reduction number at least in half.

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations to IDENTIFY based on focal length, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.

This is extremely helpful. I have been trying to figure out what cameras to get for the various areas I want coverage, between detection/observation cameras, and then identify cameras for the areas that need them. The list with the details and use case scenarios was exactly what I was looking for. It gives me a starting point, so whether I use those cameras or find something similar, it helps me hone in on what I'm looking for.

Hi @f3honda4me

note, they use ppm vs the ppf in our DORI calculations .. View attachment 158530
)
Thank you, I really learned a ton from your wiki article. This was the one detail I was struggling with, and now I know exactly what it means.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.