Hello! Looking to replace some Arlo cameras. Any suggestions?

SPK

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new at this sort of thing. I want to replace the cruddy Arlo cameras I have, with some PoE cams I think.

Any suggestions for cameras? I'm looking to do just two cameras, maybe one with pan and tilt.

What else will I need? An NVR, a POE switch, cabling...?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish? OVERVIEW to observe stuff, or IDENTIFY people?

More than likely, you will want to get more than 2 cams believe us....

Arlos and most consumer grade cameras are 2.8mm wide angle cameras that will let you see a lot, but not be able to identify a lot...

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

SPK

n3wb
Reaction score
Study this and all the links inside.

Thank you, this has some very helpful links.

What are you trying to accomplish? OVERVIEW to observe stuff, or IDENTIFY people?
I guess overview is the primary goal here.

Do you know any cheaper PTZ cameras with decent night vision?

More than likely, you will want to get more than 2 cams believe us....
Unfortunately I don't get a say in that, hah.
I've been tasked to set these up for a relative who's decided on a max of 2 cameras (not counting the Nest doorbell they want to keep) and would probably balk at spending $200 per camera.

Strong night vision and high resolution (they want 2K at least) are what they keep repeating... any more suggestions?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I've been tasked to set these up for a relative who's decided on a max of 2 cameras (not counting the Nest doorbell they want to keep) and would probably balk at spending $200 per camera.

Strong night vision and high resolution (they want 2K at least) are what they keep repeating... any more suggestions?
Hi @SPK

Check if andy still has his memorial sale going on...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want good night vision the cost is going to be in the $150-$200 range. There's simply no way around that. Good sensors and the electronics to support them cost money as does the development time. Cheap just won't give you what you want and will turn into a waste of money, waste of time and a lot of frustration.

Compiled by mat200 -

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

Compared with the Arlo cameras, you might look at Andy's cheaper line of cameras. 2Mp is fine for most people.
He has some cameras that aren't the latest technology, but work well and are less money. Look in his store on Amazon or email him.

kingsecurity2014@163.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score

Try this from Andy...

Read all about it in the review thread here:

:thumb:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
What else will I need? An NVR, a POE switch, cabling...?
So you really need to read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI.

Since you state would want something better than the Arlos, with good night vision, then stand alone consumer grade (Arlo, Nest, Ring, etc) with cloud access are out. So you will need an NVR or a PC running video recording software like Blue Iris.

Most here recommend against using WIFI cams. That means you will have to run ethernet (Cat5e or Cat6) cables. If you get an NVR, usually the POE switch is built in. If you go the PC route, you will need a POE switch.

If you decide on an NVR, then pick the brand to match the cams you buy. So if you go with Dahua cams, get a Dahua NVR.