Hello ppl im looking into replacing my Ring camera system to a real camera system a friend of mine recommended me the Hikvison cameras...

Reaction score
does Hikvision has Person only notification or vehicle notification i will like to get a pop up notification on my phone when there is someone around my driveway or patio.. also with MIC ... can anyone recommend me a Hikvision model # NVR and cameras that supports this features.. i need 6 cameras in total and an NVR.. any links? Thank You

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Hikvison makes cameras like that. So does Dahua, which is a brand many here favor.

But a lot more specifics are needed - do you want to IDENTIFY or just observe. What is the primary purpose, etc.

If you simply go with 6 new cameras that are 2.8mm fixed lens like the Rings, you will probably be disappointed as well because you won't read plates and you won't IDENTIFY anyone beyond 10-15 feet of the camera.

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

It is why we recommend to purchase one good varifocal and test it at all the proposed locations day and night to figure out the correct focal lengths and cams.

A few other tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

To identify someone with the wide-angle 2.8mm lens that most people opt for (and what your Ring probably are), someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera to IDENTIFY them, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1642128622427.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed 60 feet away to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
1416.jpg
If you live in an area with some crime, and want fast incident review, I would recommend a used Dell Optiplex or HP Elitedesk in SFF, with a copy of Blue Iris.
If you don't get much questionable bullshit happening, you might get away with a NVR like a HIK.
I have a bad taste in my mouth for HIK, I bought their OEM Costco /Night Owl system, and when i joined IPCamTalk, I found out it wasn't going to be able to import the video streams to B.I.
People were importing the DVR/NVR Feeds in Blue iris, and had the best of both worlds. AND, the motherfuckers do not Zoom into the area you want to focus your lens on. It's just a big wide angle colorful shot that gives a general overview.
I have crime at my Condo Job. 5 Catalytic converter incidents, 2 stolen vehicles dropped in lot, ( after they were used in another crime), Mailbox break ins, ( identity theft/check cashing scammers.) People trying to force entry into back doors,
People checking car doors at nite, People smokin Bob Marleys in the rear lot.
And then there are the fucking residents! Who live inside. Thats a whole nuther story...ffs. We have some mentally ill people who do dumb shit and get dumb prizes because I have them on Video.
I'm 26 cams deep into that place.
I can find "incidents" very fast in BI and get on with my work day.
The DVR's and Nvrs,,, well pack a lunch if you have 12 cameras and you need to review and follow the Perps across the property AND make a folder you can give to the PoPo.
Cameras with optical zoom can catch plates if you want that. I need that.
The cops in my Condo Jurisdiction won't even come out to take a report on Converters, unless

A. The victim calls it in,
B. You have a plate #,
C you have a Color, make, or model or reasonably close)
D. Video of the crime, or other incriminating video.
Gleason.jpg

Yesterday the responding officer emailed me a link, to upload my BI criminal activity photo's and movies to. It's a County run Website, and the data becomes available to everyone on the force right now.
It would not be very fast to crop video and screen cap .jpg's to upload to police site, with a " Off the Net" dvr.
So its going home in a USB thumbdrive, and further delays LEO's from getting evidence.
To me the Nvr is the Blue Pill, and Blue Iris is the Red Pill.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The only good thing i can say about the HiK nvr idea is that they are stable. my NVR's have, historically been less buggy than a BI machine. But ever since I stopped upgrading BI versions, and got a stable Graphics driver. it's been nearly perfect.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does Hikvision has Person only notification or vehicle notification i will like to get a pop up notification on my phone when there is someone around my driveway or patio.. also with MIC ... can anyone recommend me a Hikvision model # NVR and cameras that supports this features.. i need 6 cameras in total and an NVR.. any links? Thank You
Welcome @GusJrLorenzo

"Hello ppl im looking into replacing my Ring camera system to a real camera system a friend of mine recommended me the Hikvison cameras... "

Question:
What is the issue(s) about the Ring Camera system you have that you find lacking or needing to be better?