Hello to the camera world

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. Finally understand the light situation better, can't get color without blur...
and thus why many of us run a couple cameras in IR mode ( for sharpness ) and a couple in color mode ( for color data ) with less performant cameras .. ( wish all my cameras were 1/1.2" sensors ... ) ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm caught in the tweener, shutter speed versus gain, yes it even happens to me, as if for some reason I would be exempt. But yes, best I have done so far. Finally understand the light situation better, can't get color without blur. Now so many posts are beginning to really sink into the gray matter, what little I have left.
That is awesome that you have learned this and can help "pay it forward" to others coming here. It is nice to have another member chime in and validate what several of us say.

Time to get another camera to use as an overview camera to capture the color (without the detail)!

Or add more lights to your house LOL. Nightchaser floodlights work well and would let you run in color for around the cars.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is awesome that you have learned this and can help "pay it forward" to others coming here. It is nice to have another member chime in and validate what several of us say.

Time to get another camera to use as an overview camera to capture the color (without the detail)!

Or add more lights to your house LOL. Nightchaser floodlights work well and would let you run in color for around the cars.
Guess I need to come clean, sort of, lol. I actually bought an led light for the side of the house looking at the truck. Here's the painful part, and the wrong camera, T2831T, I know, go ahead, I can take it. What was I thinking,
on the plus side, it wasn't a "blame it on REO".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guess I need to come clean, sort of, lol. I actually bought an led light for the side of the house looking at the truck. Here's the painful part, and the wrong camera, T2831T, I know, go ahead, I can take it. What was I thinking,
on the plus side, it wasn't a "blame it on REO".
LOL - I bet that 8MP on a 1/2.7" sensor was awesome at night :lmao:

Do you happen to still have it up to show a comparison?

And yes, at least the T2831T would perform better than a reo

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WOW - was that same guy coming to finish it off?
No, completely different, thus I put the cinder blocks and chain on the next day, my impromptu anti theft device. So far, no takers, that is why I'm putting the 3000 lumen led on that side of the house,I hope, and a good, well excellent, camera, if you want a nice steak, McDoogles won't be the place, same with cameras obviously, with out ipcamtalk and all the good people here I would not be this far/well off. So yes, big ,huge, thank yous to all, again and again!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never was able to put it up. Just as I bought it, I couldn't walk for 2 months. Was at Sam's 1pm afternoon broad daylight, guy has my catalytic converter 3/4 off, took off like a hyena, just before I was about to get there and.., anyway 3 weeks later, this.
View attachment 140204
Great job!

With a clear image capture of the car .. you should have enough to send to the local LEO something to follow up on ..

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great job!

With a clear image capture of the car .. you should have enough to send to the local LEO something to follow up on ..
I took to the locals they would not even look at it, took it to the detective in diferent city, he did say it wasn't as bad as most, they are overloaded with catalytic converter thefts, help wanted signs all over, crime pays better.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never was able to put it up. Just as I bought it, I couldn't walk for 2 months. Was at Sam's 1pm afternoon broad daylight, guy has my catalytic converter 3/4 off, took off like a hyena, just before I was about to get there and.., anyway 3 weeks later, this.
View attachment 140204
Repeat this test case .. try to get a clear facial ID image if possible.

Note, I would consider multiple cameras to get all the possible info if you are getting hit like this.

Clearly we know where they like to park their vehicle .. that spot of the spot just to the right of the driveway ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In case you might wonder or have advice, thisView attachment 140210
Watching that attempt to get your cat .. I would add more cameras to the side of your garage to get even better coverage ...

My goal would be to get a solid clear Facial ID image and Car ID image .. may need to find a place for a better angle to get the car's license plate .. ( remember license plates at night are a bit of an art form and require a dedicated camera )suggested-side-of-house.png

I would aim to get a solid facial ID here .. ( see the DORI section .. 100 ppf at least at this distance .. )

1663444881163.png

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Watching that attempt to get your cat .. I would add more cameras to the side of your garage to get even better coverage ...

My goal would be to get a solid clear Facial ID image and Car ID image .. may need to find a place for a better angle to get the car's license plate .. ( remember license plates at night are a bit of an art form and require a dedicated camera )View attachment 140218

I would aim to get a solid facial ID here .. ( see the DORI section .. 100 ppf at least at this distance .. )

View attachment 140219
Thank you for your reply, unfortunately at this point I was still learning the ropes, well heck I am still learning the ropes, but yes that is is exactly my intention, again, thank you for your help.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL - I bet that 8MP on a 1/2.7" sensor was awesome at night :lmao:

Do you happen to still have it up to show a comparison?

And yes, at least the T2831T would perform better than a reo
Why yes, after much consternation, a few fubars, up and down the attic ladder, I do have a side by side comparison, pretty much exactly side by side.
I put it temporary on the other side of the light from the original same height, and for dancing and dining pleasure, a tom and jerry cartoon brought to you by loryta :lmao:
View attachment Cam5.20220920_203032_1_Trim.mp4
View attachment Cam1.20220920_203326_1_Trim.mp4
View attachment Cam4.20220921_022232_1_Trim.mp4

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your sharing! @Mast3r0fN0n3
Maybe get 1-2 new IPC-Color4K-T, or IPC-Color4K-X(2 way audio) :cool: But will cost a little more, have big improvement.
Hello Mr. Andy, the fact you take such interest in us here is just one reason we love you so much! Thank you for all your blessings you bring here, and especially your excellent customer service.
All my cameras I currently have I purchased from you. I'm currently in the middle of decision making on what to do next, eventually I will purchase a bullet for LPR, those cameras are definitely awesome.
My next step is to install an led flood I have to see how the light will effect my current situation. I truly appreciate you, and thank you kindly for your input, as with all who help out here.
Trying to take "baby steps" as the light bulbs are rapidly going off in my head from all the info that's finally beginning to sink in. For future reference, what would be the equivalent of the IPC-Color4k-X in a turret,
if there is one, measured my drive from garage door to street at 40 feet, a little over 12 meters, again, thank you for everything, you rock. :p

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Mr. Andy, the fact you take such interest in us here is just one reason we love you so much! Thank you for all your blessings you bring here, and especially your excellent customer service.
All my cameras I currently have I purchased from you. I'm currently in the middle of decision making on what to do next, eventually I will purchase a bullet for LPR, those cameras are definitely awesome.
My next step is to install an led flood I have to see how the light will effect my current situation. I truly appreciate you, and thank you kindly for your input, as with all who help out here.
Trying to take "baby steps" as the light bulbs are rapidly going off in my head from all the info that's finally beginning to sink in. For future reference, what would be the equivalent of the IPC-Color4k-X in a turret, if there is one, measured my drive from garage door to street at 40 feet, a little over 12 meters, again, thank you for everything, you rock. :p

Why that would be the 4K/X in a turret! I just received mine yesterday!

But at 40 feet, I wouldn't use a fixed cam. You need a varifocal. The 5442-ZE would get you close to IDENTIFY at 40 feet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.