Help a newb with camera network questions.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I plan to ultimately have a mixed environment of some POE cameras connected directly to the NVR, but I will also want a camera or two connected to my local network, but powered from a conventional 12v wall transformer. So I wonder about IP addresses.

I have given my NVR and address on my current network. 192.168.20.2. Default gateway is 192.168.20.1, and my router is the DHCP server starting at 192.168.20.5

I still have the default ip address on the two IPC_5231 cameras I have connected at this point. They are on 10.1.1.65 and 66.

Should I continue with separate octects? Can they function just fine in a "mixed" environment? Or should I change everything to 192.168.20.???

My plan is to setup a wireless bridge to another building and connect a camera or two there. I am hoping to use some old hardware I already have, and was not planning on a POE switch. Thus the use of the 12v power supply for each camera. Keep in mind that the bridge will be back to my 192.168.20.1 router.

Can a 10.1.1.? camera communicate back to the NVR in that enviroment? I have my doubts because I cannot go to the camera web interface by typing in the address, like I do for the NVR.

I have another question regarding the 12vdc power supply for the camera. The sticker says 12vdc 1A. That is straight forward. However, what is the polarity of the plug? Positive in the center?

Thanks

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't plug a camera using 10.1.1.65 into a 192.168.20.0 network and have it communicate unless you have a router between them. I believe an NVR will find cameras on its LAN interface as long as they're on the same IP subnet.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting...

From another thread I started and edited

The question about connecting through a bridge is yes. You will have to give the cams a static IP in the 10.1.x.x range ..whatever pool your built in POE cams are running on. When you go to add them and search for them, they may or may not show up, if they do not , you have the option of manually adding them through the interface. Pale moon is a good browser to use to access the web interface on your NVR. If you are going to use the built in DHCP on the NVR then all cams must be in that range or subnet. The 192.168.x.x will only be used for the management port. The NVR will not allow you to have your cams and Management port on the same subnet if you are utilizing the built in poe.

So, if the NVR requires the cameras to be on a different subnet than the management port, and Mr D says the cameras have to have a router between them to do so. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a common network.

Not a deal breaker if so, I just need to work with it.

So back to my bridge idea. I would just need to connect a wireless access point or router to a port my POE NVR and then configure it to create a wireless network different than my existing one. Then configure the bridge to connect to that? Can I safely connect a laptop to one of the POE ports on the NVR to access the wireless router/access point for configuration?

Seems like the videos I have seen skip steps sometimes, or their environment is not quite the same. Many seem to be a few years old also, so finding current,complete, relevant content is not easy.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can I safely connect a laptop to one of the POE ports on the NVR to access the wireless router/access point for configuration?
It appears that I can do that, but I am nervous because I have not done it before, and the price of failure is high, even if the chances of failure are low. I may prefer to make up a custom cable and not connect the conductors used for POE. I normally use T568B convention.

Seems that it would be pins 4,5(blue) and 7,8(brown)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I safely connect a laptop to one of the POE ports on the NVR to access the wireless router/access point for configuration?
Yep. Please read "Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE" from March 2014.

If you have a PoE switch that conforms to 802.3af (the PoE standard) or 802.3at (the PoE Plus standard) and doesn’t claim to be “passive”, you can connect your computer or laptop to it with a standard Ethernet cable without having to make a special cable which omits the 2 POE pairs.

Last edited:

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. Also, I actually found an old cable I had made that had the two pairs separated out already. So I got connected already.

I have found that the password for my cameras was already set to the same as it is for my NVR, I expected to have to change it. Is that normal with Dahua?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
here is a diagram i made of networking scenarios I have in use right now. Both work with zero issues. Keep in mind in my diagram if you plug your laptop into the back of the POE NVR , you will have to give your laptop a 10.1.x.x IP address and you will only be able to see the cams on that side. If you plug your laptop into the switch (192.168.x.x and keep the 10.1.x.x ip address you will be able to see the cams on the switch or 192.168.x.x side. Dahua NVR do not support passthrough yet. Hope this helps a bit. One thing I will mention is the NVR may or may not see the cams through the bridge or switch when you go to use the auto find feature when adding cams, just use the manual add feature and type in the ip address, user name and password and it will pick them up. Hope this clears it up a bit for you. EDIT-- just for the record, this is not a ideal setup, but it works..It came about because of adding cams in a out building next to a building closest to a existing POE NVR or putting cams recording in a outbuilding to another NVR with bigger hard drive capacity.
table.jpg

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
For POE NVR, you don't need to plug your pc into the POE ports to access the cams, you can simply surf to ip-of-your-nvr:10080 to access your first IPC on the POE side. +1 for the second one etc. Works like a charm on my 5216-16P-4KS2.

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For POE NVR, you don't need to plug your pc into the POE ports to access the cams, you can simply surf to ip-of-your-nvr:10080 to access your first IPC on the POE side. +1 for the second one etc. Works like a charm on my 5216-16P-4KS2.
you make it sound so easy. But you might have to dumb it down for me.

In Easy Viewer, I typed the ip addres of my NVR web interface and added :10080 - 192.168.20.2:10080, and it is unreachable.

Is my syntax correct?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Throw us a screenshot of that if you get a chance.. Thanks

Steve Bowman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good news is that I was successful 2 out of 3 places I tried the camera. Just plugged it into my network and was able to add it to my cameras. Did not even have to search for it. The 3rd location showed the camera, but I was never able to get it to display a picture. This location was passing through 3 swtiches to get to the NVR.

I have not yet built my bridge, but will do so soon. I also have some ip cameras from an old Zmodo system that I hope to use. I just need to figure out their IP's

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you saying that you can log on to your cameras direct through your NVR and have full access to all the settings just like logging on to them direct with their IP Addresses, if you can I would love to see a screen shot of that..thanks.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you saying that you can log on to your cameras direct through your NVR and have full access to all the settings just like logging on to them direct with their IP Addresses, if you can I would love to see a screen shot of that..thanks.
Hi @c hris527 , sorry for the late reply. With the 5216-16P-4KS2 POE NVR, I am able to connect to "http://ip-of-nvr:10081" to the first Webservices interface of the IPC itself, like if you would do "http://ip-of-the-IPC" when having your pc on the same network. I can show screenshot, but it is the same GUI, only the NVR is doing "10081" portforward towards that webinterface. Do +1 for the next channels.
Hope this helps!
CC

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow Good info, I tried but got zippo out of a few of them I'm running on a few sites. Doing what you are doing has Bedeviled Dahua POE NVR users for a long time not being able to pass-through to the cameras directly. When you get a chance can you tell what firmware version you have..Thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow Good info, I tried but got zippo out of a few of them I'm running on a few sites. Doing what you are doing has Bedeviled Dahua POE NVR users for a long time not being able to pass-through to the cameras directly. When you get a chance can you tell what firmware version you have..Thanks
Hi @c hris527 I'm on DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3_215_0000001_0_R_20180326. I'm not sure whether (or not) I accidentially flipped a secret switch inside the unit, but it works like a charm :)

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @c hris527 I'm on DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3_215_0000001_0_R_20180326. I'm not sure whether (or not) I accidentially flipped a secret switch inside the unit, but it works like a charm :)
You might want to start a new thread on this discovery and see if it helps others, until now as far as I know you could not do this..Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, from @Crazykiller back in Feb of 2017: Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE :

"The NVR has the IP which I configured for the integrated switch, which is also the default GW for the cams. The ports are forwarded dynamically. It starts with port 10080 for the first cam you click and goes up for each you click. It's not static per channel."