Help a noobie with first time install

Brettk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased my first big-boy security system setup. I’ve got 4 PoE cameras to go with BI.
I live in a double wide mobile home with that I’m guessing is hardie board siding.
The only ways I can see to route the cables to the network is either through the side of the house or the crawl space.

At the moment my plan is to mount the cameras on the four corners of the house, and route the cables up and tuck it under the soffit trim. I will route all 4 cables under the trim to the back of the house above the crawl space access door, and then put them in conduit down the side of the house and through the door to the crawl space. Then I will drill through the floor straight up to the network.

Here is a picture of one corner of my house, the shitty wireless camera is about 8ft up, that’s about the height the new cameras will be going at.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAMTALK!

It is recommended that you test each position PRIOR to installing and running wires. Check out the Cliff Notes and the WIKI section for lots of info.

Use a test rig to check your planned locations. Below is what I use but others use a 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket with sand or rocks.

Test Rig.JPG

Walk your test location in both day and night. See if you are getting the view and can ID the face. Generally eight feet mounting height is a little high to ID a face. Great if you want to get a shot of the guy's bald spot.

Brettk

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCAMTALK!

It is recommended that you test each position PRIOR to installing and running wires. Check out the Cliff Notes and the WIKI section for lots of info.

Use a test rig to check your planned locations. Below is what I use but others use a 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket with sand or rocks.

View attachment 114080

Walk your test location in both day and night. See if you are getting the view and can ID the face. Generally eight feet mounting height is a little high to ID a face. Great if you want to get a shot of the guy's bald spot.
100% am going to do this. I was actually planning on mounting the camera on the soffit until I read the cliff notes and realized that’s 12’ off the ground.
I’m more worried about the best clean looking wire routing plan for my situation.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My comment is you'll need more than four cameras for effective coverage, especially on the long sides and probably on the short sides as well. My normal arrangement is two per side facing toward each other so that each camera is "watched" by another. That also eliminates a lot of blank spots.

Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Brettk

n3wb
Reaction score
My comment is you'll need more than four cameras for effective coverage, especially on the long sides and probably on the short sides as well. My normal arrangement is two per side facing toward each other so that each camera is "watched" by another. That also eliminates a lot of blank spots.

Three rules
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.
You ain’t lying. Definitely looking at adding more cameras sooner rather than later. Just dipping my toe in at the moment before I go completely down the rabbit hole

Reaction score
I’m more worried about the best clean looking wire routing plan for my situation.
I understand that problem. It is very difficult for anyone here to help in that respect without actually being on site. I ran into a similar issue when trying to get cable to my garden area to install LPR cams. The thread linked below is very long, but you may get some ideas on how to consider different ways to get the cat cable to your destination.

Also, you may try and start a thread looking for anyone that has installed on a double wide mobile home. The title of this thread is very general and may not bring in the people with experience for that type of install.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome, I just want to add one comment. My house has hardi-plank siding and I was concerned about drilling it, my big concern was cracking the siding. Did as much research as I could and drilling went off without a hitch.

Bought a set of new Milwaukee carbide masonry bits, and went from smallest size, like 1/16", and then just stepped up the hole one bit size at a time. They come in extra long lengths which I ended up needing. Drill three inches from the edge is recommended.

If you choose to go this way, hope this helps.

Brettk

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome, I just want to add one comment. My house has hardi-plank siding and I was concerned about drilling it, my big concern was cracking the siding. Did as much research as I could and drilling went off without a hitch.

Bought a set of new Milwaukee carbide masonry bits, and went from smallest size, like 1/16", and then just stepped up the hole one bit size at a time. They come in extra long lengths which I ended up needing. Drill three inches from the edge is recommended.

If you choose to go this way, hope this helps.
My job requires me to move every 3-4 years, so I’m trying to get by with as little drilling as possible, especially in the side of the house. I appreciate the advice