Help accessing video stream over internet

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone let me know what are the best options for streaming outside the lan?
Trying to access cams from my phone.

Should I use DynDNS or open a port in the router and use port forwarding?

I know everyone is busy but I hope someone can give me a crash course... Thx

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish there was a delete button for threads. Sorry I asked before doing homework.

OK so if anyone finds this thread again what i did was to forward ports in my router
For example port 8001 goes to (IP camera 1) port 8000 and so on
Then you just setup on your phone app a new device with your WAN IP address, Port 8001, login and password for camera 1.
And it bloody works!

All you need is a decent LTE signal and you can view your cams from wherever.

Nowadays my Comcast IP stays pretty much the same so I don't need DynDNS.
I also tried UPnP but I much rather prefer to open only the ports I want.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so if anyone finds this thread again what i did was to forward ports in my router
Then you just setup on your phone app a new device with your WAN IP address, Port 8001, login and password for camera 1.
And it bloody works!

All very true. It is easy once you figure out what you have to do! My dynamic IP address has stayed the same for years now. The only time the IP ever changes is when I change routers, and I can get my old IP back by cloning the MAC address of my old router. Some folks have it change all the time and need a dynamic DNS address for sure!

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish there was a delete button for threads. Sorry I asked before doing homework.

And it bloody works!

Is this secure?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some folks have it change all the time and need a dynamic DNS address for sure!
Mine changes every time I reboot my CenturyLink modem or with a power outage. I use No-IP to manage my Dynamic IP.

Damn, wish Comcast was available out here in the boonies. :sad: I envy those who have it.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this secure?
Define security! You mean if the NSA can hack into my LAN and copy all my family vacation pics from the NAS? Then no it is not secure.

In my opinion opening a port is more secure than enabling UPNP.
Of course you have to do your best and disable all other services you don't use in your IP cam. Like telnet, SSH, DDNS, etc
Then, find a more secure password than 12345 and is pretty much all I did.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Define security! You mean if the NSA can hack into my LAN and copy all my family vacation pics from the NAS? Then no it is not secure.

In my opinion opening a port is more secure than enabling UPNP.
Of course you have to do your best and disable all other services you don't use in your IP cam. Like telnet, SSH, DDNS, etc
Then, find a more secure password than 12345 and is pretty much all I did.
Defining security is not easy. One doesn't know what someone's intention is. Hackers are like terrorist. They will use any means necessary to invade your space. That said, the NSA is not my concern but the unknown hacker would be. I guess as you said if you lock down your DVR/camera and the services on them you should be ok.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NSA bit was a joke!. Just like with anything else it all boils down to how well you know your equipment's strengths and vulnerabilities and how you set it up.
I also had a discussion on an DYI alarm forum about the security of an alarm system and the pros/cons of a GSM communications module. You can get paranoid with security and it will never EVER be 100%. Anything you do can have pros and cons. You just pick the solution that works best for you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Who would have thought you could significantly compromise a Jeep simply by supplying a radio signal that could be played on it's 'infotainment system' aka the car radio? Some smart and not so smart people out there.