HELP! Cameras locked out, can't connect.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I connected two of my new Dahua cameras (different models) via a PoE switch to my router (one at a time) which is connected to my WIN10 machine, then opened up the default 192.168.1.108 in IE. I logged in successfully thru the web interface and changed the IP on one of them, as well as the admin password.

Then, I connected them one at a time to my NVR5216, and they immediately locked out. No luck adding them manually with the new IP and login. Tried everything I could think of. After that, I reconnected them one at a time back thru the PoE switch and to my router. When I tried to bring them up in IE, neither was found, one with a new IP assigned and the other still with the default 192.168.1.108.

FYI, no reset button seen on the inside of the IPC-HFW1320S bullet camera. I pushed the button I found on the inside of the IPC-HDBW4431R-AS to no avail.

The cameras that I hooked up straight out of the box to the NVR5216 work great. Didn't change their IP addresses from the default. Looks like the NVR just assigned their own to them.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:Use the Config tool

Tools

The NVR defaults to admin:admin. It tries right away with its defaults, and locks you out because you changed it directly. Reboot the camera for another try once you edit the NVR settings for User: Password to your new credentials.

The default LAN for the NVR switch is 10.1.1.1. Use the config too to set the IP of the camera to that subnet before plugging it in and the NVR will find it. Use device search from the NVR.

SD

Last edited:

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Partial success!

Was able to get the dome camera with the reset switch to work, starting over with 192.168.1.108 and admin:admin.

The bullet camera powers up with the PoE ok and the LAN activity lights are blinking ok, but the TOOL never finds it.

FYI, this NVR has the built-in PoE. I am powering up the bullet camera with a standalone PoE and plugging it into my router in order to try to have the TOOL recognize it. No luck. The NVR is NOT plugged into my network.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Partial success!

Was able to get the dome camera with the reset switch to work, starting over with 192.168.1.108 and admin:admin.

The bullet camera powers up with the PoE ok and the LAN activity lights are blinking ok, but the TOOL never finds it.

FYI, this NVR has the built-in PoE. I am powering up the bullet camera with a standalone PoE and plugging it into my router in order to try to have the TOOL recognize it. No luck. The NVR is NOT plugged into my network.
I was there too. You have to configure the tool to start looking in the correct subnet. It's hard to find, but it's a little gear near the top.

Make sure the user/password matches what you set up. If you plugged it in to the NVR, it changes the IP to 10.1.1.X. Start your subnet search there.

If you need to reset the cameras (you shouldn't once you start in the correct subnet), you have to hold the reset while you add power(turn it on) to the camera.

Config Tool Search Setting.jpg Config_Tool_Search_Setting_IP.jpg

SD

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR set it to 10.1.1.73, but the ConfigTool doesn't find it, nor does the Web Interface thru IE when connected straight to the router with a standalone PoE switch powering the camera.

There is no reset button on this camera which I can find, although there are a couple of pc board jumper holes labeled 1 & 2, like similar Dahua cameras (for resetting).

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may have to reset it to factory settings. You would have to jumper the pins while powering it on. It will return to 192.168.1.108

Plug it in to your stand alone switch, and scan your network for "Zhejiang Dahua Technology". I bought this indespensible tool for my iPhone for $2.99.

Network Analyzer App

If you don't want to purchase it, just try pinging 192.168.1.108 from a command window and see if it responds. You will know if your reset was successful.

If it's there, try plugging it directly in to the POE ports of the NVR and do a device search or use the config tool to find it and change its IP address to 10.1.1.X (anything but 73, your other cam address)

Then plug it in to the NVR POE ports.

Let me know.

SD

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I shorted the two jumpers for about 10s to be certain. Still doesn't show up as the original 192.168.1.108 in IE web interface as before. Maybe it needs more than 10s?

I'm on Windows 10, so I downloaded and installed a similar free app called 'Advanced IP Scanner'. It rocks as a IP sniffer program, but the camera is still a total no-show. Going to try it from a Windows 7 laptop next. Maybe a Windows 10 incompatibility.

Within the NVR software, the camera still shows up with both "The account has been locked" and if trying to login to it, "Invalid password. 4 more tries!"

The camera still powers up and gets warm, BTW. So I know it's not completely DOA or anything, although it is starting to look more and more like a mini boat anchor to me. Frustrating!!
------------------------------
I recycled my router and now the camera shows up in the Advanced IP Scanner app in Windows. Still stuck on 10.1.1.73 too. The 10 sec shorting of those two jumper holes didn't do anything. Try for a longer duration? The camera also refuses a telnet connection from the app.
-------------------------------

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have only had success from Windows 7 and IE 11. On my Win 10 box, I have to use Smart PSS.

If you have a Win7 box, try it. It has an IP address. We just need to figure out what it is.

Have you tried the Config Tool-->Search Setting-->Other Segment Search--> 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.255?

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it's registering 10.1.1.73, just plug it in to the NVR POE ports and do a device search. It is on the correct segment now.

If you lock it out, a power cycle will give you 5 more tries. I assume it's using the password you set up as well and is no longer admin.

SD

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, will try going back to the NVR hookup in a sec.

FYI, the Dahua Config Tool app works on the WIN7 laptop (unlike in WIN10) and it finds the camera ok, but it won't let me alter IP settings or open up in the web.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, will try going back to the NVR hookup in a sec.

FYI, the Dahua Config Tool app works on the WIN7 laptop (unlike in WIN10) and it finds the camera ok, but it won't let me alter IP settings or open up in the web.
I'm going to guess that it saved your new password (and user if you changed that as well). It will not let you change the IP address without the correct credentials.

It should work in the NVR if your password is correct.

SD

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hooked it back up to NVR. Now it's listed as 10.1.1.75 (instead of 73). Manufacturer set to "PRIVATE". Logging in with the default admin:admin or the one I used with the NVR (the only two logins ever!) does nothing but give a momentary hourglass icon. Still says "10.1.1.75 The Account is Locked". Crap.

Also tried logging in with 888888:888888 and 666666:666666. No dice.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hooked it back up to NVR. Now it's listed as 10.1.1.75 (instead of 73). Manufacturer set to "PRIVATE". Logging in with the default admin:admin or the one I used with the NVR (the only two logins ever!) does nothing but give a momentary hourglass icon. Still says "10.1.1.75 The Account is Locked". Crap.

Also tried logging in with 888888:888888 and 666666:666666. No dice.
We are getting closer. I have the 8 port version of your NVR and the onboard switch does the same DHCP assigning. Private is the Dahua designation for their own cameras.

A reboot of the camera will reset the lockout. The config tool will let you change the password as well, but you need to know the original. That's strange.

Ok, maybe another shot at the factory reset using the pins. Can you upload a picture of the pins you are jumpimg?

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Protip: Create your own admin account that wont get locked out and will let you back in.. and give each device that accesses them there own logins so they dont do the same.. on my setup the NVR has its own admin login to the cameras that is not admin; have to carefully add them to the NVR and make sure I specify the credentials using manual add instead of just trying to add it w/defaults.

I just generate the passwords randomly and paste them in at setup for app use, I dont even know what they are.

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Success! I shorted the pins for a FULL MINUTE and it reset to factory settings, back to 192.168.1.108 and admin:admin. When it prompted to immediately change the password on the web login, I left it set as admin, powered down, then reconnected to the NVR. It found the camera and added it to my covy immediately. Thanks for your help!

nayr: I will take your advice and see if I can duplicate your instructions to create an additional admin account. Great idea.

On the internal camera PC board with the actual camera module attached to it, there are a set of two holes and a set of four holes. Shorting the 2 holes ones together for the full minute (necessary amount of time or not) did the trick on this newer model camera (IPC-HFW1320S).

Jim

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One other open-ended question stirring in my mind please, is that I read in the camera instructions to change all of your camera IP's to something other than 192.168.1.108 (default factory setting). But that doesn't seem to be necessary when connecting to the NVR5216. It assigns them new IP's by itself. In which case would this need to be done manually with the Config Tool? When using Blue Iris, I'm guessing?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One other open-ended question stirring in my mind please, is that I read in the camera instructions to change all of your camera IP's to something other than 192.168.1.108 (default factory setting). But that doesn't seem to be necessary when connecting to the NVR5216. It assigns them new IP's by itself. In which case would this need to be done manually with the Config Tool? When using Blue Iris, I'm guessing?
You are correct. It isn't necessary if you plan to just use the NVR POE ports. There are setup and IVS menus that can only be administered by directly logging in to the cameras IP address. When using the NVR ports, you cannot log directly in to the cameras address, unless you plug a laptop in to an open NVR port and set up your NIC on that subnet. Can be a PITA if you have to keep doing that to change IVS and other settings. My tower has two NICs in it so I can get to the NVR's switch subnet. Another way with the laptop is use your wifi on one subnet, and the Ethernet on the other. I'm sure there are other ways with routing. Ryan would be better answering that.

After tinkering for three weeks now, I prefer a stand alone switch/midspan, and to have the cameras on my home network, but I did get the NVR with POE. When I install it in my friend's pole barn, he will have an easier time adding cameras in the future all by himself.

SD