[Help] - Cannot use SMTP on my HFW5442T-ASE (Loryta IPC-B5442T-ASE) but can use on my NVR...

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. I was traveling through @bigredfish's state. I use Google mail, but try changing yahoo to TLS and port 587 on the NVR. You may also need to edit your Yahoo settings to use "Less Secure" connections. Most of us create an email account just for the security stuff.

Also verify that you have the IVS rule is "checked" on the camera as well as the "Send Email". (try turning them off, hit save and then turn them back on and hit save)

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. I was traveling through @bigredfish's state. I use Google mail, but try changing yahoo to TLS and port 587 on the NVR. You may also need to edit your Yahoo settings to use "Less Secure" connections. Most of us create an email account just for the security stuff.

Also verify that you have the IVS rule is "checked" on the camera as well as the "Send Email". (try turning them off, hit save and then turn them back on and hit save)
Hey man,

No need to apologise.

I did use Gmail but it didn't work...regardless of having the less secure connections enabled. Then I discovered Yahoo and found it's storage was high so I change to Yahoo but issue still occurring... For Yahoo, I am unable to find their "use less secure connections". Tried searching/follow the online instructions but none seem to reveal this... I have attached a screenshot to show you my perspective.

Also, as stated at the start of the post, I have tried changing the Yahoo to use TLS with port 587. IVS is checked with send email if you saw my latest discussion with @bigredfish :D

Look forward to any further tips/advice :D

Thanks
less.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion:
Re-read post #7
By default, cameras connected to NVR PoE ports can't communicate with the internet, so email will not work.
With Hikvision NVRs, enabling Virtual Host (Dahua has an equivalent) and adding a static route to your LAN gateway/router can change that and make it all work.
You can probably do the same with a Dahua NVR.

You can also prove out the email configuration on the camera if you power up the camera when connected to the LAN, and give the camera an IP address in the range used on the LAN. If that works, it's the (in)ability to route traffic through the NVR from its PoE ports that's the cause of the problem.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With Hikvision NVRs, enabling Virtual Host (Dahua has an equivalent) and adding a static route to your LAN gateway/router can change that and make it all work.
I've looked all through my Dahua NVR and have not seen this feature. Can you point out where Dahua has a Virtual Host (or equivalent)?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8
The emails are sent from the NVR in your setup. If the test message from the NVR is failing, you need to solve that first.
I'm starting to suspect your ISP is causing you some issues. Maybe they are blocking the SMTP ports without your knowledge. Or your firewall is preventing access.

Install a tool like NMAP on your computer
In the command, enter: nmap -p smtp.mail.yahoo.com and click scan
it should return like below (the important part is "Host is up"):
Code:
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-01-12 13:46 Eastern Standard Time
Nmap scan report for smtp.mail.yahoo.com (98.136.96.80)
Host is up (0.028s latency).
Other addresses for smtp.mail.yahoo.com (not scanned): 67.195.228.95 74.6.141.43
rDNS record for 98.136.96.80: smtp.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com

PORT    STATE    SERVICE
467/tcp filtered mylex-mapd

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.53 seconds

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There have been posts showing or describing an IE symbol in the camera configuration page of the NVR that opens a connection to the NVR PoE port connected camera.
That's one way only. Into the cameras, but not out of the NVR.

Either way, it doesn't fix his issue as the NVR should be sending the emails, not the camera. It's three easy steps:
1. Set SMTP up on the NVR, NOT the cameras
2. Configure IVS on the cameras
3. Click "Send Email" on each IVS you want an alert from

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Suggestion:
Re-read post #7
By default, cameras connected to NVR PoE ports can't communicate with the internet, so email will not work.

You can also prove out the email configuration on the camera if you power up the camera when connected to the LAN, and give the camera an IP address in the range used on the LAN. If that works, it's the (in)ability to route traffic through the NVR from its PoE ports that's the cause of the problem.
Hi Ali,

Sorry for the late response. Just came back from business trip..

Anyways, my Dahua NVR's Virtual host is indeed enabled :D. My connection is a DHCP not Static (using fritzbox).

"You can also prove out the email configuration on the camera if you power up the camera when connected to the LAN, and give the camera an IP address in the range used on the LAN. If that works, it's the (in)ability to route traffic through the NVR from its PoE ports that's the cause of the problem." - I made my cameras DHCP which gave the cameras there own ip address since the cameras seem to be more stable using DHCP.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8
The emails are sent from the NVR in your setup. If the test message from the NVR is failing, you need to solve that first.
I'm starting to suspect your ISP is causing you some issues. Maybe they are blocking the SMTP ports without your knowledge. Or your firewall is preventing access.

Install a tool like NMAP on your computer
In the command, enter: nmap -p smtp.mail.yahoo.com and click scan
it should return like below (the important part is "Host is up"):
Code:
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-01-12 13:46 Eastern Standard Time
Nmap scan report for smtp.mail.yahoo.com (98.136.96.80)
Host is up (0.028s latency).
Other addresses for smtp.mail.yahoo.com (not scanned): 67.195.228.95 74.6.141.43
rDNS record for 98.136.96.80: smtp.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com

PORT    STATE    SERVICE
467/tcp filtered mylex-mapd

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.53 seconds
Hey Usaf,

Sorry for the late response. Just came back from business trip..

The test message from the NVR to the email does indeed work with a success green text :D. Routers firewall is disabled since first received.

Regarding the NMAP tool, I'l do that when I get back home (dinner at the moment so it shuldn't take too long to get back to you).

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's one way only. Into the cameras, but not out of the NVR.

Either way, it doesn't fix his issue as the NVR should be sending the emails, not the camera. It's three easy steps:
1. Set SMTP up on the NVR, NOT the cameras
2. Configure IVS on the cameras
3. Click "Send Email" on each IVS you want an alert from
That's one way only. Into the cameras, but not out of the NVR. Either way, it doesn't fix his issue as the NVR should be sending the emails, not the camera. It's three easy steps: - correct. My NVR is able to successfully send the test emails to my email that I set up with. Though, IVS triggers and all sorts do not send email of snapshot/clip/alerts...

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8, if the emails are going out from the NVR (I'm assuming they are being received), I would factory reset the cameras and start from the beginning.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8, if the emails are going out from the NVR (I'm assuming they are being received), I would factory reset the cameras and start from the beginning.
Hey man,

Thanks for the reply.

I just factory re-set my cameras (took a while haha). Problem still continues...

I'm trying to download NMAP to do your method but when I download > install, there doesn't seem to be an app on my desktop....I tried opening the exe one in the program files and it doesn't open. Tried reinstalling too..

Look forward to hearing you back.

Thanks

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@MikeyTech8, I think it may make sense to try a different firmware on the camera. Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY can respond with what the latest is.
@looney2ns , can you confirm what firmware you have on your camera and if the emails are working via the NVR?
I don't have that specific camera, but if the send email is checked on both the camera and NVR, it should work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion to prove that the SMTP configuration on the current camera firmware does work OK when the camera is on the LAN :
Which if it does work is confirmation that the firmware is fine, and that the cameras are not able to communicate out to the internet when connected to the NVR Poe ports.
That is a completely normal, and by design, situation which can be changed if needed by a couple of network configuration changes.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Suggestion to prove that the SMTP configuration on the current camera firmware does work OK when the camera is on the LAN :

Which if it does work is confirmation that the firmware is fine, and that the cameras are not able to communicate out to the internet when connected to the NVR Poe ports.
That is a completely normal, and by design, situation which can be changed if needed by a couple of network configuration changes.
Is anyone able to guide me/explain the progress to me in a understanding way? I have never tried to change the IP address before.. maybe @usaf_pride is able to haha? Honestly, happy to try @alastairstevenson method out but am having trouble doing so unsure the process and unsure how to begin.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

@alastairstevenson and @usaf_pride . Hey guys. So I have found the instructions to modify the cameras IP address ( ). However, I don;t know how to check my "LAN ip address". Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don;t know how to check my "LAN ip address".
It's the address range that your router and PC and any other LAN-connected devices use.
So if your router/gateway is, say, 192.168.1.1 the address range is likely to be 192.168.1.x where x is between 2 and 254