Help! Can't get camera off chinese (2532 iws)

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have tried all possible hacks out there. My head really hurts and I have to ask for help.
ds-2cd2532f-iws

I bought 3 of these from alixpress last November . They had hacked English version 5.2.0.

On One of them I upgraded with original 5.2.0 firmware and the obvious result was that I got Chinese.

Tried all hacks including the Raptor firmware and kiktools one but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Never tried to upgrade to higher versions.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why did you upgrade at all? Cant figure out this question. People know they have a Chinese camera. 10 minutes of reading would show you that there are problems with upgrading or downgrading Chinese cameras. Your cameras run great without ever upgrading. Learn to read Chinese is my answer(or buy American).

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just use Chrome, it will translate your cam automatically without the need to do anything. All my cams but 2 are Chinese, after changing the password I never had the need to go back in there. NVR communicates and updates the cam settings regardless of language.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, acvb it does seem that you choose to help some people and some not. So here is the answer:
I got screwed by an Aliexpress seller. He sold me 3 cams international version but I received chinese with hack.
I disputed on Aliexpress and in the process I HAD to demonstrate that the cam was hacked and send pictures of screen. So I upgraded it and got Chinese only. In the end aliexpress gave me back 30 lousy dollars and closed the dispute. Happy?

So once again can anyone give me some help on how to revert this cam back or to install sometning in english on it?

I did use chrome and it gets me by but I thought I can do better with "a little help from my friends"...

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Much appreciated, I will give it a try and report back.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The simple thing for your 5.20 camera is to use the 5.16 firmware below in my signature, this will give you more functionality and also make the camera the correct language.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks whoslooking. I tried a 5.1.6 downgrade through the web interface and I get a (chinese) message that upgrade failed.
Am I missing something? Thank you.

I am reading the mtd hack. I hope I don't screw it up. Stressful...

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you Del. I spent all morning to finally get up-to-speed with all this. I figured it must be tftp.
Right now I am searching for the tftp procedure so I don't brick it.

I managed to telnet into the cam and started a mtd hack as described here:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3337-Hikvision-Permanent-Region-Change
The thread was better suited to my level. (I am on linux since forever but I am nowhere close to being a hacker)

At this point I made the mtd changes but I am getting a different checksum. I will post in appropriate thread maybe it helps.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know another way to tftp the FW without using Hikvision's tool?

I am on linux. The tool is on windows. I can find a windows laptop but it does not have wired ethernet. Dang!

Much appreciated.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well if you have managed to get your MTD files off the camera the hard bit is done, for a 5.20 original firware camera you only have to change the 2 down to 1.

you don't have to worry about the checksum balance ( that is only for 5.25 and 5.28 ) just send the edited mtd's back and reboot.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I also did the checksum change. Was not hard. The post kinda assumed people know that those numbers are the checksum and have to be changed to reflect the new checksum after the 01 change. You may want to edit it. Otherwise it's great.

My problem with 5.16 is that I cannot tftp it. Right now I will upload the mtd's and cross my fingers.

As an extra difficulty The linux app I was using - Okteta- was giving me a different checksum-16 value. I had to go on a Wigoze machine to edit it with HxD.

metricus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeeeeeeeesssss! It f***ing worked!!!! Brilliant! You guys are geniuses.
Took almost a whole work-day but like Del said: It's worth it.
Not too hard really. My linux helped a lot. A lot of built-in apps to hack this stuff.

Now the question is: Is it worth upgrading to higher FW or I leave it bloody alone?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now you can try any firmware for that camera you want from the us/Eu sites, but to go down from 5.30 you will have to use tftp.

Enjoy your camera's