HELP CHOOSE - I'm down to two PC's

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Redid my office and while at it, decided to redo all the cams around the house.

Using BI - 4 PTZ's (2 4k, 2 1080, 4 dome 1080)'

Use 3 WD 4tb Purple...

The PC's (suggest something better - I'm considering future building in mind also) $500ish budget...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
other wise either will do the Job......Very capable machines....I've had good luck finding replacement power supplies for my Optiplex machines that I take care for a business and other family members. Over the years, most Optiplex failures in my corral...were the PSU..and secondly was the CPU cooliong fan.....( earlier models) these devices i take care of were/are 24/7/365 machines

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
other wise either will do the Job......Very capable machines....I've had good luck finding replacement power supplies for my Optiplex machines that I take care for a business and other family members. Over the years, most Optiplex failures in my corral...were the PSU..and secondly was the CPU cooliong fan.....( earlier models) these devices i take care of were/are 24/7/365 machines

The dell does have more ram out of the box, it's new/open box, also has GPU vs the Lenovo thats refurbed.

I've always built my own in the past, but this is the cheaper/easier route... Leaning towards the Dell...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The Lenovo .pdf shows support for HDMI and DisplayPort and VGA monitors. at least in the manual.
Does the Dell support both HDMI and Display Port? maybe it's not even an issue depending on what monitor you plan on using.
1698636020000.png

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you search hard enough you can find the internal BT/wifi modules for them on Ebay....

If I search hard enough I might have one laying around lol... Sounds like Dell it is...

Only thing to look forward to is transfering BI over to the new PC... how fun

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Redid my office and while at it, decided to redo all the cams around the house.

Using BI - 4 PTZ's (2 4k, 2 1080, 4 dome 1080)'

Use 3 WD 4tb Purple...

The PC's (suggest something better - I'm considering future building in mind also) $500ish budget...

Both of these are way overpriced...either can handle your load easily. But they wont hold 3 3.5 drives..
A newer i5-12500 will be more powerful than the older i7-10700 and you can find it cheaper. If you wait for a deal they can be had for 3-400 depending on other variables.

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Both of these are way overpriced...either can handle your load easily. But they wont hold 3 3.5 drives..
A newer i5-12500 will be more powerful than the older i7-10700 and you can find it cheaper. If you wait for a deal they can be had for 3-400 depending on other variables.

Ahh touche - Let me see what I can find.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting that i5-12500 Opti's are showing up as less expensive on e-bay.....I saw one for $429....in an intial search....
My 3630 acts as a coffee cup warmer/ space heater....:) something to consider in MN.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that i5-12500 Opti's are showing up as less expensive on e-bay.....I saw one for $429....in an intial search....
My 3630 acts as a coffee cup warmer/ space heater....:) something to consider in MN.....
Its because most folks incorrectly assume i7 is more powerful even if older....which may be the case depending on the two generations you are comparing.

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

There are new PC's with the 15-12500 for 500ish... Have all the same extras... I have extra ram and everything else to build it as needed... Just needs good base and CPU OS etx...

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
TBH for that price you could have custom built. I have a build thread on here where I built a machine for around that money with integrated graphics. Adding graphics took it above that level, but no real need for a graphics card these days given CPAI runs happily on CPU. That said, it's still a decent machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
TBH for that price you could have custom built. I have a build thread on here where I built a machine for around that money with integrated graphics. Adding graphics took it above that level, but no real need for a graphics card these days given CPAI runs happily on CPU. That said, it's still a decent machine.
525 is an insane price...
I purchased two Lenovo i5 12500 systems for 300 a pop.... A few months ago