Help choosing hardware for IP cam install

wilkcards

n3wb
Reaction score
I will be installing 5 IP cameras at a friend's house and I'm looking for help on the hardware side. 2 of the cameras are going to be connected through I wireless bridge as they are about 200ft from the building with no way to run a wire. I've been looking at the ubiquiti nanobeams to do this job.
So I'm going to have 2 cameras on the garage connected to the bridge and the other 3 will be on the main house.
So basically I'm not sure if we should buy a pvr or use a PC. There is a PC there that I am unsure of the specs on but I doubt it's very new.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will be installing 5 IP cameras at a friend's house and I'm looking for help on the hardware side. 2 of the cameras are going to be connected through I wireless bridge as they are about 200ft from the building with no way to run a wire. I've been looking at the ubiquiti nanobeams to do this job.
So I'm going to have 2 cameras on the garage connected to the bridge and the other 3 will be on the main house.
So basically I'm not sure if we should buy a pvr or use a PC. There is a PC there that I am unsure of the specs on but I doubt it's very new.

If I'm understanding correctly, the fact that the remote cams will be using a nanobeam, has no bearing on whether you need an NVR or a Pc based recorder.

wilkcards

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting overwhelmed by all the options. I'm trying to put together a parts list and I'm not really making much progress. Basically, there are 3 cameras on the house and 2 more on the garage with nanobeam. So, I will need 2 POE switches, 5 IP cameras, 2 nanobeams. If this was for me I would definitely be going with a PC solution but I think it might be a good idea to make it as simple as possible for the user and go with PVR. Also, I'm trying to keep costs down and convincing him to buy a new computer might be a challenge.
I'm also trying to get everything off amazon if possible.