Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I present the Ultra 1/1.9" Starlight Bullet, when you need the absolute best in low light performance, damned the cost.

IMAG0731.jpg

Unlike the EcoSavvy Starlights this is a BIG sensor version.. most people suck at fractions so let me put this into decimal for you: 1/2.8" = 0.357in and 1/1.9" = 0.526in, the larger the sensor the more surface area to gather photons and the better the low light as long as everything else remains the same (it never does).

Dont let the 16mm optics fool you, due to the larger sensor size these is very close in FOV's to the 1/2.8" @ 12mm.. this camera will not get you any more zoom than the Eco Starlights.

In the comparison shots I will largely put this up against the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) since I have already compared all my cameras to that and it was the only camera that has a shot of holding its ground against this camera.

Verdict: This is a fantastic camera with stellar performance; its a king among cameras and its capabilities are great for its cost.. The additional features you get over an Eco Starlight are worth every dollar, Stunning Low light combined with SSA (Auto-WDR), a P-Iris, High Power IR, 1080P Substream all make this a great deal despite its heavy price tag.

The Larger Bullets are not for everyone or every situation, and the heavy price tag per camera is pretty hard to choke down.. You can get a PTZ for a little more, but the Ultra PTZ's that could perform on this level are ~$1200USD, so take that into consideration.

For Residential use only the most high end systems will strive to integrate such a camera, I get it this is well beyond any budget or economy setup... were deep into premium grade territory here, but you are getting what you pay for.. The Normal Sized starlights are still a fantastic deal and they are offered in many more form factors than the Ultra (its this and a dome).

If you want the best quality day/night webcam, this is a great choice.. its very easy to feed the 1080p substream directly to YouTube w/out re-encoding at the framerate/bitrate it wants and still allowing you to locally record at an even higher framerate/bitrate.. With this thing at a slow shutter speed and forced into color mode you can get some incredibly good shots in very low light conditions.

For commercial/business use you should definitely consider getting a few of these, espically for your more light challenged locations outside or even in big indoor spaces.. If you have active monitoring the capabilities of this camera will give you even better response times and may even require less overall cameras be monitored, that could save big money on data limits and monitoring costs.

If your a bad guy and you see one of these; your fucked.. this aint the harbor freight shit your running at your crackhouse.. better start running.

Disclaimer: This camera was provided at a discounted price in exchange for a fair and unbiased review by @EMPIRETECANDY

Features
  • 1/1.9” 2MP progressive scan Sony Exmor (IMX185) CMOS
  • H.265 & H.264 triple-stream encoding
  • 50/60fps @ 1080p(1920×1080)
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.002 Lux/F1.53 (Color), 0 Lux/F1.53 (IR on)
  • Smart Detection supported (Facial/Tripwire/Intrusion/Audio/People Counting/HeatMap)
  • WDR(120dB), Day/Night(ICR), 3DNR, AWB, AGC, BLC, SSA
  • Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
  • 4.1mm~16.4mm motorized lens (4x Zoom), 80°~32° HFOV
  • EXIR LEDs Distance: 50m
  • IP67, PoE (802.3af) <13W (5.5W Idle, 13W Idle w/IR)
  • Micro SD card memory (128GB Max)
  • External Audio and Alarm IO
  • Electronic Image Stabilization (for pole mounting)
  • Optional internal Heater for Extreme Cold (+$20)
Product Page: IPC-HFW8232E-Z | Dahua Technology

Retail Price: ~$320 from @EMPIRETECANDY

Downloads:

This is an international model camera, comes unmodified with english translations and is upgradable.

Shipped Firmware:
Screenshot 2017-01-09 13.06.14.png

This Model came to me in NTSC and does have an analogue video output for use in setup.
Screenshot 2017-01-09 13.15.05.png

Location of MicroSD Card Slot, this was so well sealed I could hear the air escape when I opened it:
ultra-starlight-sdcard.png

you can see ports in here for the analogue video, zoom controlls and perhaps serial.

Pigtail/Wiring:
ultra-starlight-pigtail.png

Label:
ultra-starlight-label.png

My Videos:

3rd party Videos:

more stuff coming soon, check back :)

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really interesting, Nayr , but .... from where is coming ? :)
Cheers,
jonatha
Edit ... Is this one
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2MP Starlight IR Bullet Network Camera with heating function no Logo IPC HFW8232E Z, free DHLshipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Available from Andy ? If yes, I'm going to order right now ..
I brokered this deal outside of AliExpress; contact Andy directly as that was listed for $320 when I got it, and his other store has it for even less: DAHUA 2MP Starlight IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW8232E Z . Free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I believe the model I have comes w/a heater already installed and that might account the price variatons, my big black face PTZ had a spot for a heater but didnt have one installed so this may be an extra option.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking forward to this review and the eventual shootout between this and the other starlight cam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daytime Starlight Shootout; not much to expect.. both do very well.. All defaults, Zoom ~50% on both.

Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet:
Galileo NVR----2017-01-09-15-14-25.jpg

Starlight Varifocal Turret:
Galileo NVR-Dahua Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2017-01-09-15-13-54.jpg

Slight Advantage to the Ultra; face and pinwheel seems sharper.

Everything is dialed in for tonight; thankfully the Chinooks came in today and ate all the snow/ice away.

obligatory photo of test setup:
starlight-shootout-rig.png

13 ft between the cameras and the sign.

Last edited:

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the night shots.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
setup depth markers in the test field, here's the layout:

Focus Sign: 13'
First Sake: 20'
Every Consecutive Stake: +10'
Far Fence Straight Out: 80'

Zoom is about 50% in this image

Galileo NVR----2017-01-09-16-36-55.jpg

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Live Stream Currently Online:

I'll keep this online for a day or so and archive the results so you can check out how it does throughout the day, especially dawn/dusk and late at night.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Sweet. As they sit now, the ultra definitely has an advantage on facial detail even in daylight. The colours pop more, too. Could just be that the defaults are set a bit better on the ultra but maybe not.

I love the sped up version of the sky. That's the lazy man's way to watch a meteor shower. Stay in bed and watch it the next morning at 32x.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
was testing manual shutter speed at night and the Eco was whoping the Ultra; upon further investigation found the Iris on the Ultra is a P-Iris and I can set its level in software.. instead of just auto-on/off.. when I opened the Iris all the way I got the expected results:

Eco vs Ultra
Screenshot 2017-01-09 19.18.41.png Screenshot 2017-01-09 19.18.11.png

Using the above settings w/just the IR on the Bullet:

Galileo NVR----2017-01-09-19-17-57.jpg

Galileo NVR-Dahua Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2017-01-09-19-17-53.jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Sick camera, I saw Andy liked some posts, anyone seen him today? Still waiting for my PTZ tracking number lol.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Sick camera, I saw Andy liked some posts, anyone seen him today? Still waiting for my PTZ tracking number lol.
LOL, Thanks for @nayr nice pics!
Just back from hospital to see my brother in law, talk to the doctors for the future cure, tracking wait slightly later, back to work and update to you, buddy, no worry!:)