Help deciding on IP camera

wrexer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello there...

Can anyone help me with deciding which camera to go with???

Price isn't really a concern but I'd say no more than a couple hundred dollars

Features I require
- highest resolution/quality possible
- outdoor style weather proof.... ((will make weather proofing housing if indoor camera is used))
- power over ethernet (not 100%... will hard wire electrical if needed)
- hard wire internet connectivity with long network cable
- ability to record video on pc harddrive (for screenshots and reviewing)
- motion activated a plus

Features I dont care for

- dont care about audio
- dont care about shape (stand up, bullet, square)
- dont care about panning or tilting
- dont care about zooming

If anyone could help me out with some recommendations that would be great

So far there are too many different companies too choose from... too many different stores to browse thru... wether in person or online... then theres amazon with all their products...

I just keep finding contradicting "top 10" review sites...

any help will be appreciated

thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the offerings from Hikvision and Dahua. There are tons of threads here on them. Stay away from no name brands and junk brands like foscam, wanscam and their clones.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree with the above, for a basic camera the bullets by Dahua and Hikvision are hard to go wrong with.

I use Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras personally and they work great and come in closer to $100 than $200. Dahua has some good options too that are quite popular.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
find a 3MP IR Cam w/3.5-4mm lens from Hikvision or Dahua in the $100-$250 range and you'll be entirely happy, any of em will meet all of your requirements.

quality wise you will be thrilled regardless company/specific model you choose; but each company has its pluses and minuses.. Hikvision firmware is easy to obtain but they region lock the cameras so you have some hacking to do if you buy from china.. Dahua imho has better accompanying software suite; with clients for Mac (which was my determining factor), but firmware updates are rarely obtainable.