Help for my 1st install

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello gents,

Thanks for this fantastic forum, I got plenty of info despite the newbie I am in the field of surveillance.
I'm planning to install for my parents in law (in Romania) a PTZ camera to their front yard.

Before the purchase, I'd like you to validate my choice.

I found the best device for my needs to be one of the Dahua SD49225 series

According to the drawings below, it will be installed on a pylon, around 17m away from the gate.
The camera will have to auto-track and zoom everything trespassing the dark blue line.
Honestly I read 20 pages on 50 of the Dahua SD49225XA-HNR, and I would like to know if the auto-+tracking feature is now fixed ?

At night, there is a street light on the other pylon next to the camera.

What is important for me is POE for single cable, night vision quality, wide angle to catch all the max area along the dark blue line, auto-tracking then zoom on the target.
I don't need audio.

I'm not sure what is the difference between "tripwire" and instrusion mentionned on the specs, but I believe it's always good to have.
I put a simple bullet camera to watch the clear blue line area and the probable blind spot under the PTZ camera later on.

If you have any advice on a specific model, or another serie, you'll be welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance !

dist.JPG

position.jpg

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the tag @samplenhold. @stylo hopefully you viewed my 49225 review thread (saw you mentioned a thread but not sure what one), if not please read that as it has a ton of info in it. Will answer some of your questions below but these have been covered in my thread:

Auto Tracking - It was never broken, just removed by Dahua for later build ranges. It is still removed BUT using the custom FW branch you can re-enable Auto Tracking (dealers have access to this FW) but you must remember that currently this is a separate branch of FW and therefore some features added to the main FW branch are not in the custom one.​
Tripwire vs Intrusion - These are standard IVS rules so YES you have those on this cam. Intrusion allows you to draw a box with rules based on Entry, Exist or both within that box. Tripwire is line driven and generally useful to use when you want to trip an action based on a target breaching the line(s). Can use this in multiple ways based on target type (vehicle or human), install location and so on. I generally run a blend of these for PTZ installs BUT again depends on the target I am looking to capture, the FOV and overall scene​
Proposed Camera Duties - You mention the camera would 'need to Auto Track and Zoom everything in the dark blue line'. I assume you mean on the house side of the fence ? While the PTZ can certainly help with that, remember that:​
1) a PTZ has to be pointed at a given area you want it to cover and as part of that you will set a standard starting zoom etc as part of the preset for the FOV​
2) unless you want it to remain static you would generally have it patrol (maybe along the street), entry points etc therefore you would need a tour setup and you run the risk of being in a different area than needed if you do this (thoughts below)​
3) PTZ's have a narrower field of view therefore would not be able to encompass the entire view you show because if you point the PTZ down to get closest fence to the pylon (who owns that ?) you won't have enough FOV for the rest of the yard and end up with blind spots (thoughts on this below)​
4) Height is always key to PTZ installs (what height are you planning on installing at ?) and even more so when you have a lot of objects in the FOV as you do here so plan carefully​
Other Thoughts - In this case it would be highly beneficial to have fixed cams watching the area for constant recording with IVS rules setup for PTZ activation (through NVR or BI platform) to 'call' the PTZ to a given preset when a target is detected. That way you increase your chances of capturing the target. Looking at the image you provided I would place at least 2 fixed cams (something like the 5442T varifocal turrets) on the front of the house aimed to cross each other left to right, right to left for best coverage with 1 angled slightly more towards the front gate by the driveway. On that topic you don't mention about the driveway along the side and or the back of the property. If you are implementing any security solution I would make sure you cover your other weak areas and points of entry. The other thing to remember is that your PTZ will be up relatively high BUT may not be able to see over the hedge in the front yard (depending on angle etc) so having the fixed cams can assist here​
Night Time Quality - While this camera is extremely good at night, you still need to ensure you have adequate lighting in any install location. Having a streetlamp right next to it can help but it all depends on how wide and bright that light can cast. If little light is seen in the proposed target area you need to look at augmenting that for the best captures possible. There is also a lot of foliage (bushes, hedges etc) seen in the overhead picture so you need to ensure you set your install location up for success so that you capture clear images and don't leave too many shadows for people to hide in.​
Configuration - Remember this is key as you will see in my threads and videos. Take time to dial in the camera for the location​
HTH​

Last edited:

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
hopefully you viewed my 49225 review thread
I did, but gave up after 20 pages :) Is the auto-tracking officially supported on 49225 with this custom FW ? I don't want to risk to brick the camera and get problem with the warranty. If not, I would prefer to switch to HIKVISION if they have similar specs for the same price range.

Auto Tracking
Tripwire vs Intrusion
Thx for explanation​
Proposed Camera Duties - You mention the camera would 'need to Auto Track and Zoom everything in the dark blue line'. I assume you mean on the house side of the fence ?​
Correct, the camera would be static, no patrol, pointing a kind of perimeter parallel of the road, the dark blue line would be quite in the middle of the image. Once anything is crossing the line, the camera would zoom and track the intruder.​
PTZ's have a narrower field of view therefore would not be able to encompass the entire view you show because if you point the PTZ down to get closest fence to the pylon (who owns that ?) you won't have enough FOV for the rest of the yard and end up with blind spots (thoughts on this below)​
The pole where should be installed the PTZ cam is in our property, there is no pb about that, and maybe at 3m/3.5m, but will test different height for the best compromise between FOV and best chance to catch people faces.​
I guessed it will not cover the entire fence, that's why I should add some simple bullet camera under the roof, pointing at blind spots, and that also could activate the PTZ cam to track the intruder as you mentioned.​
Night Time Quality -​
A picture from last night, I believe it's well lit.​
Let me know if I should go with HIKVISION officially supporting auto-tracking or I can safely go with DAHUA and flash this custom FW with no risk.​
IMG20200818224052.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's in our land, no pb so far, thx to point this out :)
It might be in your land, that doesn't mean you own it or can put anything on it.

It looks as if it is a utility pole for the power company in which case it will belong to the utility / power company. It will be in your land because the owner of the house (original) granted the utility company an easment, to put the pole on your property, probably in exchange for a one off payment. However, the fact it's on your land doesn't make it your property.

The pole still belongs to the utility company and you cannot attach anything to it or do anything to it, without 1st obtaining their permission, which you're unlikely to get. If you go ahead and attach something then they can force you to take it down, or worse still sue you either to take it down, for an injunction to force you take it down / stop you putting it back, or for damage to the pole if they determine you screws etc have in anyway affected the pole to their detriment. Whichever way, you could incur legal costs. Also, mounting a camera near high voltage isn't good for interference.

The best soluion I can see at 1st glance would be to mount the camera above the satelitte dish under the eaves of the house and cut the bushes down a bit so it has a clear view of the gate / driveway. No only will your house look neater, but the camera will be legal and you'll avoid legal action / costs from the utlities.

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the proposal, but this is already discussed with the city-hall, we are allowed to install it there.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CCTVCam , you took the words out of my mouth (while I was asleep)!

I was in the traffic signal and street lighting arena for over 31 years in city and county public works. That background is exactly why I was quizzing the OP about the pole, as many folks don't understand about right-of-way, easements (especially public utility easements) and so forth. It seems you do and gave the OP some good direction, IMO.

Having it in writing is essential and having it recorded on the plot maps of the property at the assessor's office would be ideal.

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to remind you that it is located in Romania, and for sure it is very different than other western european countries ;)

What about the camera ? Dahua ? Any advise on HIKVISION ?

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
How to find easily auto-tracking HIKVION or DAHUA camera without checking one by one ? is there a product selector better than the one from the manufacturers ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@stylo - @EMPIRETECANDY (Andy) is a trusted and reputable selling on this forum. He is the one place you know for sure that you can get the autotrack with. Too many instances of people coming to this site saying they bought the camera on some other website by some other vendor and it doesn't have autotrack.

DM him and he will hook you up. He can sell directly to you or you can purchase from his Amazon or AliExpress stores. I recently bought the 4MP version of this cam from him and the autotrack is amazing.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@stylo

Based on what you show above I would go with the 49225 albeit that you understand auto tracking IS available as long as you use the custom FW branch which is available to dealers. If you order for example from @EMPIRETECANDY he can provide you with that FW. The lighting looks 'ok' but be careful of the foliage, bushes etc when planning the install. Also as I mentioned I would add at least 2 fixed cams (you mentioned you currently had 1) in this install.

HTH

I did, but gave up after 20 pages :) Is the auto-tracking officially supported on 49225 with this custom FW ? I don't want to risk to brick the camera and get problem with the warranty. If not, I would prefer to switch to HIKVISION if they have similar specs for the same price range.

Thx for explanation​
Correct, the camera would be static, no patrol, pointing a kind of perimeter parallel of the road, the dark blue line would be quite in the middle of the image. Once anything is crossing the line, the camera would zoom and track the intruder.​
The pole where should be installed the PTZ cam is in our property, there is no pb about that, and maybe at 3m/3.5m, but will test different height for the best compromise between FOV and best chance to catch people faces.​
I guessed it will not cover the entire fence, that's why I should add some simple bullet camera under the roof, pointing at blind spots, and that also could activate the PTZ cam to track the intruder as you mentioned.​
A picture from last night, I believe it's well lit.​
Let me know if I should go with HIKVISION officially supporting auto-tracking or I can safely go with DAHUA and flash this custom FW with no risk.​

stylo

n3wb
Reaction score
Talking budget and night footage quality: What is your opinion guys on the best setup for this front yard + driveway and parking spaces ? Considering installed with 1 fixed (5442) camera, is the PTZ good enough work efficiently from the side, sometimes at 15m ? Or better X3 5442 fixed cameras ? Pricewise 1 PTZ+1 Fixed = at least X3 5442

Hard to say !