Help for nvr choice

antony23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a newb about camera, and need help.

I read a lot, and i'm thinking to buy 8 x DS-2CD2387G2-LU camera for my new house, two for each house facade, we already made boxes predisposition for that.

What i aimd to achieve, beside monitoring, is alert me when potential thieves are inside my lot. I know camera system tend to do false alerts, and i'm looking to hikvision because it seems their motion detection software is the best on the market. Is this true? It worth more money than reolink system i was initially aimed to buy?

If yes, can you please advice me which hikvision nvr i shoukd buy for 8x DS-2CD2387G2-LU cameras?
Looking at specifications, i didn't understand reason they specify in/out bandwidth (IN i suppose for cameras, and OUT for what?) and reason they distinguish different events/function/channells using nvr or using only cameras. Can you please explain what's the difference using camera and nvr togheter or not?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a newb about camera, and need help.

I read a lot, and i'm thinking to buy 8 x DS-2CD2387G2-LU camera for my new house, two for each house facade, we already made boxes predisposition for that.

What i aimd to achieve, beside monitoring, is alert me when potential thieves are inside my lot. I know camera system tend to do false alerts, and i'm looking to hikvision because it seems their motion detection software is the best on the market. Is this true? It worth more money than reolink system i was initially aimed to buy?

If yes, can you please advice me which hikvision nvr i shoukd buy for 8x DS-2CD2387G2-LU cameras?
Looking at specifications, i didn't understand reason they specify in/out bandwidth (IN i suppose for cameras, and OUT for what?) and reason they distinguish different events/function/channells using nvr or using only cameras. Can you please explain what's the difference using camera and nvr togheter or not?

Thanks
Welcome @antony23

For the typical house in suburbia USA I want mostly cameras covering the front of the house.

Note, cameras are not security alarm systems .. so from a functional point of view I am looking for the cameras to get good image captures also .. see the DORI section of the cliff notes.

I would look at other security alarm / alert technology besides the cameras to give you the alerts you are looking for.

How high are the boxes you have put for the cameras ?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i'd choose best in 76 serie

77 is already step up in price and in nvr size for home usage

Also dont use motion, use smart event such as intrusion detection or line crossing. On motion you have predefined calibration by hik, on smart events you can calibrate MIN/MAX values hence better detection/less false alarms

Cheers

antony23

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 Yes, i know it's not a alarm system. At the moment, i have open/close sensors at doors and windows, but this is not a full control, because breaking only the glasses bypass sensors.
Anyway i have predisposition for pir sensors inside house, but i would avoid to use them if i can, using as alarm system only cameras and doors/windows sensors.

antony23

n3wb
Reaction score
i'd choose best in 76 serie

77 is already step up in price and in nvr size for home usage

Also dont use motion, use smart event such as intrusion detection or line crossing. On motion you have predefined calibration by hik, on smart events you can calibrate MIN/MAX values hence better detection/less false alarms

Cheers
Can you please explain me what involve in incoming bandwith? Only mainstream video form camera? I read somewhere here in the forum that for incoming we have to consider mainstream+substream, but is it right? Should not be NVR to generate substreams, decoding and re-encoding mainstreams received by cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you please explain me what involve in incoming bandwith? Only mainstream video form camera? I read somewhere here in the forum that for incoming we have to consider mainstream+substream, but is it right? Should not be NVR to generate substreams, decoding and re-encoding mainstreams received by cameras?
Hi @antony23

Cameras, depending on the model, can have multiple streams available ( main, and substream typically are what I like to see )

The NVR would need to decode the stream from the camera and then encode into a substream .. so typically extra work if they designed the NVR to do this ..

antony23

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you think open/close sensors and cameras are enough as alarm system? Or i need anyway pir sensors inside home?

antony23

n3wb
Reaction score
A question about nvr location. Is the NVR with integrated POE noisy to put under the TV in the living room?
Or it is better i move the NVR somewhere else and leave only a POE switch near tv? Or poe switch is also noisy?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
NVRs with integrated POE are noisy. POE switches range from horribly loud to silent. For silent, look for a fanless POE switch. Will probably cost more than one with a fan.