Help I'm a noob....

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well not really. First and foremost let me welcome you to this wonderful forum where you will find all the knowledge you need to set up your own cameras and vms.

Once upon a time (actually not that long ago), I too was in your shoes looking to set up a security camera system and I stumbled upon here. As per the advice given to me, I read the cliff notes and studied the wikis.

I got sucked into this forum and I’m happy to help answer questions where I can. There are many good folks with extensive experience on here, donating their time to help people. If you want those folks to help them help you, I would highly recommend the following:

Be prepared to put in some effort into learning. Folks here also have lives outside of this forum and I don’t believe it’s fair to ask them to do your “homework” for you.

Indicate your experience level as in I know a little bit about networks, but I’m not comfortable with ip addresses. No one here is going to look unfavourably towards you. We all were novices at one point or another in this life.

Ask questions, but give as much detail as you possibly can.

Let folks know how your home network is set up i.e. my cameras are connected to a POE switch which is connected to my home router and my VMS is also connected to the switch. My home pc is connected to the router too. This lets people know how you are trying to configure things and can help in getting you a faster response and resolution.

Specify the model of switch and router you are using.

Most importantly, have patience. This will get you very far and the reward will be much sweeter at the end for you.

Mods, if you feel this post is in the wrong location or completely inappropriate, please feel free to either delete or move it.

Thanks,
Hammerhead786