Help: IP Camera with DVR built in versus only with SD card?

Reaction score
Question:
What different configurations are there for network cameras? Are there IP cameras with built in dvr and without dvr but only with sd card slot? On another note many of them seem to have dvr functions built in but I don't need to login to just one camera at once. Should I avoid any specific types of network cameras?

Example camera I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABXX4PT4310

Goal:
My main interest is remote viewing while managing bandwidth usage. Specifically I want to record at very high quality and then remotely view groups of 2 cameras at a reduced quality to manage bandwidth. I plan to do that by creating multiple users so that I can just log into the configuration I need at a certain time of day. I am building a nice Windows 8.1 pc to use as my NVR which I plan to arm with Blue Iris.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/droidvoider/saved/#view=rq4CJx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question:
What different configurations are there for network cameras? Are there IP cameras with built in dvr and without dvr but only with sd card slot? On another note many of them seem to have dvr functions built in but I don't need to login to just one camera at once. Should I avoid any specific types of network cameras?

Example camera I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABXX4PT4310

Goal:
My main interest is remote viewing while managing bandwidth usage. Specifically I want to record at very high quality and then remotely view groups of 2 cameras at a reduced quality to manage bandwidth. I plan to do that by creating multiple users so that I can just log into the configuration I need at a certain time of day. I am building a nice Windows 8.1 pc to use as my NVR which I plan to arm with Blue Iris.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/droidvoider/saved/#view=rq4CJx
Welcome to the forum.
Why are you using windows 8??
You can buy a i7-6700 system for under 400-500...
IF you are using blue iris you dont care about the cameras recording capability or remote viewing..its all done via blue iris (you can use an sd card as backup if your wish)...Also note that while that camera can record to SD card, you can only view the a singe bandwidth stream of the recording...so if you record in high bitrate, you can only review in high bitrate..blue iris will allow you to remote view at any bitrate you wish...you can set 3 predefined presets and choose any you wish in the mobile app.
That camera is china region, no warranty and no firmware updates (it will brick)..
Look for a turret design..the bullet is a poor choice.
Dont use a seagate drive, look at the WD purple...

rgarjr

n3wb
Reaction score
Sd cards aren't really meant to be writing all the time so they will wear out quickly. Nvr or pc running bi is more ideal.

Reaction score
fenderman thanks for your description of Blue Iris I was fairly certain I had that all right and I am really excited to get it all setup now. Thanks I will look at turret style cameras.
Welcome to the forum.
Why are you using windows 8??
I figured with Windows 8.1 I had more compatibility to test out many different pc nvr server software. If there's no problems with Windows 10 on my final choice I would just upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Dont use a seagate drive, look at the WD purple...
I did happen to choose WD purple drives instead

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with windows 10...its better than 8. There is no indication how long microsoft will provide a free upgrade to ten using the assertive technology trick

EyePeeKamz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sd cards aren't really meant to be writing all the time so they will wear out quickly. Nvr or pc running bi is more ideal.

Depends on the SD card and the recording requirements. The new micro SDs are catching up.

HighEndurance_microSDXC_C10_64GB-retina.png