Help me answer this question to a friend

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was asking about CPUs and I was set on Intel and a friend told me that AMD's are much more powerful right now its better to go with AMD. I explained to him that Blue-Iris works better with quicksync. I dont know enough about it but I want to answer his follow up question and I would like to know to:

Why is Blue Iris using quicksync? Every sane CCTV system I've played with just sends the stream straight to disk without decoding/encoding it. The camera has the encoder in it, why does it have to be re-encoded?

Saying this, when using Direct to Disc option in BI, doesnt this get of the need for quicksync?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was asking about CPUs and I was set on Intel and a friend told me that AMD's are much more powerful right now its better to go with AMD. I explained to him that Blue-Iris works better with quicksync. I dont know enough about it but I want to answer his follow up question and I would like to know to:

Why is Blue Iris using quicksync? Every sane CCTV system I've played with just sends the stream straight to disk without decoding/encoding it. The camera has the encoder in it, why does it have to be re-encoded?

Saying this, when using Direct to Disc option in BI, doesnt this get of the need for quicksync?
Blue iris is not re-encoding the stream if you are using direct to disk.
The decoding is used for motion detection and also for video playback and when you remote view. Blue iris has a limit decoding option see wiki about the negatives.
Also see the new advancements using substreams for motion detection that will significantly lower cpu without using the limit decoding. This is still not polished but hopefully will be working 100 percent soon. See threads.
Your friend doesnt know what is he is talking about and does not seem to have experience with VMS.
Here are just a few "sane" mainstream enterprise vms that utilize quicksync.
Milestone
ISS
Genetec
NXwitness indicates that its planing on introducing it.