Help me choose. 2 x Xeon vs i7-7700

SumitB

n3wb
Reaction score
I am currently using a hypervisor running Proxmox. It has 2 x Xeon E5-2660 v2 CPUs out of which I have allotted 2 Sockets and 12 Cores to the Blue Iris VM and 32GB of memory. I currently have 17 cameras (Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I) on this system, all running at 3MP (1920x1080 @ 30fps) and when I check the WebUI of Blue Iris, it shows that the CPU usage barely exceeds 30% with DTD Recording enabled. I have been using this system for 18 months now and it works flawlessly.

I now want to move Blue Iris to a dedicated system and my vendor, who only does Supermicro, has made the following offer to me:

Option 1
Intel i7-7700
Supermicro X11SSL-F Motherboard
32GB RAM

Option 2
2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630 v4 (25M Cache, 2.20 GHz) Product Specifications
Compatible Supermicro Motherboard
32GB RAM

I plan to up my camera count to about 64 +-12 cameras in about 2 years (will be installed in a hotel) and would like to get a system which is future ready.

I notice on the forum that the i7-7700 is the CPU of choice and I also understand that Blue Iris works great with Quicksync that the CPU offers. I also understand that the CPU gels with the onboard Intel Graphics if available and this system is very powerful. However, the Motherboard on the i7 system being offered does not have Intel Graphics and comes with ASpeed Graphics. It has the Intel C232 Chipset.

Now my question is, will the dual Xeon perform better or will the i7 with the said motherboard be able to take the load of the 64 +-12 cameras in future. I understand that 30FPS is a waste and 15FPS will be more than sufficient for any surveillance purpose and am willing to go low on the FPS. Also, if it is a better bet, in future, I am willing to divide the load of the entire setup on 2 systems rather than 1.

It is very difficult for me to return these servers as my vendor is 2000 kms away and I would prefer to order something that is guaranteed to work.

Your help and advice will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did check this. However, the Integrated Intel Graphics part is not very clear to me.
hold out of the eight gen processors...64 hd cames, is alot for BI...consider an enterprise solution...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now my question is, will the dual Xeon perform better
IMO, the most active folks here (in terms of posting and sharing their BI experiences) are not running Xeons, and if there are folks running Xeons, they're not really sharing their experiences...

So it's really hard to answer your question.

SumitB

n3wb
Reaction score
hold out of the eight gen processors...64 hd cames, is alot for BI...consider an enterprise solution...
This option is not available to me. No one offers Blue Iris as an enterprise solution. If I stick with the i7-7700 on the above motherboard, will I still be able to use quicksync?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This option is not available to me. No one offers Blue Iris as an enterprise solution. If I stick with the i7-7700 on the above motherboard, will I still be able to use quicksync?
right..blue iris is not designed for enterprise...look at an enterprise vms

SumitB

n3wb
Reaction score
right..blue iris is not designed for enterprise...look at an enterprise vms
Okay, that settles the requirement for the 64+ cams then.

Now, for the current 17 cams, will the Xeon be a better option or will the i7 with a motherboard without an "Integrated Intel Graphics" be a better bet?

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The i7 has integrated Intel graphics. As in on the CPU. It requires a chip set/motherboard to support that feature.

The Xeon doesn't have any on chip graphics, so if you want to use a monitor you have video on the motherboard or add a video card.

The Supermicro motherboard says it supports LGA 1151, Xeon and i3 6th/7th gen processors.The Aspeed on board graphics are for when you use a Xeon processor. Note that the motherboard only specifies it supports i3, not i7. So you might want to question the supplier about the i7 support. I would definitely not want to use that motherboard with an i7 CPU.

So, the i7 will be better, with an appropriate motherboard.