Help me choose the right NAS

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Seagate Personal 4 TB NAS that while Healthy, I‘m thinking I should upgrade.

My needs are using Acronis to clone a few computers’ hard drive and a common drive accessible by me and my wife. We store common files that aren’t backed up anywhere else unless I occasionally make a backup to another USB drive.

I would like a new NAS and also keep my old one, the Seagate would then be the backup of the new NAS.

I would like to backup our iPhones as well and get away from the 99c x 2 monthly charge by Apple.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Seagate Personal 4 TB NAS that while Healthy, I‘m thinking I should upgrade.

My needs are using Acronis to clone a few computers’ hard drive and a common drive accessible by me and my wife. We store common files that aren’t backed up anywhere else unless I occasionally make a backup to another USB drive.

I would like a new NAS and also keep my old one, the Seagate would then be the backup of the new NAS.

I would like to backup our iPhones as well and get away from the 99c x 2 monthly charge by Apple.

I used FreeNAS and liked it .. now it is TrueNAS ..
( I had a older PC which I put in a HDD cage into to make it into a NAS and saved a bundle )

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Another vote for Synology. Black Friday sales are right around the corner if you can wait two months. Synology has an incredible operating system, see site below and do some research.

quiet.tea

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend Synology as well. They have worked well for me and require little time to set up and maintain.