Help me finish this new family and apartment setup. Warning long post!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another tip, at least how I handle multiple devices. You can pick an ip range, say 192.168.0.150-159 to use just for your IP cameras. I assign static IP's to each camera in that range. This way I just have a better general idea of how to find my cams using IP alone. With DHCP they will likely be all over the place. As long as the static IP you assign to each camera is not also within the DHCP range (meaning the IPs that the router will automatically give to devices as they request an IP) then you should be good.

It's a bit more advanced but once you feel comfortable you might consider it. Of course DHCP leases work just as well as long as you remember to assign them :)
That was all covered. :)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good luck, Skyline1432. Yes, is 5V usb standard volts, same used by Apple. Frankly speaking, for your purpose, is better to expose the camera, instead of hiding. It tells, for example, those taking care of children's or elderly persons, "my nanny cam is watching you". take care. edgar

Skyline1432

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah like Looney said someone had me take an entire crash course in networking and I had try to tinker with everything I could as much as possible. I let Looney in too look around via team viewer and after a good 2 hours he asked if one of the other WiFi networks was mine. The second I tried to connect it to my other WiFi the link LEDs on the camera fired right up and blinked away. The worked router in question is 5+ years old and I got it from someone on Craigslist. I thought it was cool because it had dd-wrt installed. However reflecting back after Looney's help I think I had already had issues with with it before and just assumed it wasn't up to handling the 12+ WiFi devices I have in my house so I replaced it with a 100 dollar Asus model. Now I'm thinking it was shot and I'll pick up a cheaper Asus model to handle the cameras

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This wasn't the issue in the least. The routers wifi simply was borked somehow.
First off I never said that "was" the issue. That said if you are not a networking person and you drop a second router on your network and point your devices at it as their gateway.... it's not going to work and you WILL have problems.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was all covered. :)
Hmm, kind of covered. My point (about static Ips) wasn't just "using" static IPs but to do so in an organized fashion. Ie picking a specific range for them. Not everyone thinks to do this. :)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, Looney. That's what I call support. Thanks for taking your time to help. Is really appreciated by others, like me.

Skyline1432

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand adding a second router to my network would create problems. I learned that in the crash networking course someone in this thread started me on(quite the rabbit hole adventure). However my goal here was to create a entirely independent WiFi network without access to my existing WiFi or internet access. My existing network has about 13 devices at any moment on the WiFi two of which are 4k TV's so it's already a heavily bogged down network. I planned to use a wifi router without internet access to keep my cameras a tad more secure while also not effecting my existing network speed wise. While running into this problem the busted router had nothing other then the two cameras on WiFi and the PC plugged into it. After Looney help me figure it out I tested to be double sure with an old Android phone I had kicking around it will connect to that broken router wifi however it drops the signal within 2-3 minutes and refuses to attemt to reconnect.

Skyline1432

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE: New router is here and within 20 mins had everything up and running. 370 dollar PC is running both cameras at around 15% percent CPU usage. Things are really solid now cameras snapped right into the new WiFi!!
Thanks again for everyone's else specially Looney for taking personal time to actually take a look into what my issues were!!

Does anyone know of some good YouTube videos regarding how to change the settings. Now hat they are up I wanna set them to record certain times of the day so they don't film any hanky panky.... Or maybe I do ;-). I also believe it's saving to my main drive as of now so I'll need to change all that
But thanks guys really this forum really saved me ass here!!!

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a bunch of good videos on Youtube. Just search :)

To get you started, this guy has some helpful and clear tutorials: HomeTech Video (HomeTech Videos)

Skyline1432

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So one week into fully setup and my profiles set things are going great. Using around 14-17 percent cpu with time overlays and everything on. I have it set to recording everything in 1 hour clips from 8-5 the 4 days the nanny is here. Everything else is motion triggered into clips however I tinkered around had to decrease the motion sensitivity so it wouldn't catch every time the dog moved rooms. Other then a place it says camera 1 and I can't seem to find the setting I can't complain this setup over checks all the boxes. Still garbage cameras that jabe dropped signal a few secs here their but for under 600 bucks (PC included) total it's doing the job quite well.

Thanks to all of you very much for dealing with my newb tail and helping complete this janky project. This forum and it's community is A1

Attachments