Help me pick some IP camera's

bizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I need to add 6 more IP camera's to an existing Hikvision DS-9600 NVR and I'd like some advice. 4 of the camera's will be outdoors and two of them will be indoors. Two of the outdoor ones will be covering a parking lot and the other two will covering a patio. The two indoor ones will be covering a fairly well lit room. I'm pretty sure for the indoor ones I"m just going to grab some Hikvision dome camera's in either 2.8mm 4mm or 6mm not really sure which would be best. The outdoor ones I'm really torn on. I need them to be of really good quality with excellent night vision as there is suspicious activity going on in the parking lot that we would like the capture but at the same time the owner doesn't want them to break the bank. They also need to be a rugged outdoor camera as they will be exposed to extremely cold temps and snow in the winter months. I'm also open to other brands of IP camera's if people attest to their quality and reputation. I have very little experience when it comes to IP cameras so I'm hoping to draw on the experience of you folks. Thanks in advance!!

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes use the word "please".

bizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
Geez, tough crowd, I didn't think my post sounded demanding or rude and I did say thanks in advance but if that's what is shying people away, then I'll gladly say please recommend some camera's and lense sizes for my scenario :). Thanks again!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, tough crowd, I didn't think my post sounded demanding or rude and I did say thanks in advance but if that's what is shying people away, then I'll gladly say please recommend some camera's and lense sizes for my scenario :). Thanks again!
No one can recommend lens sizes because we dont know the distance.
For night vision go with hikvision 2mp cameras, you will not be able to capture a plate at night unless you dedicate a camera for plate capture and get the correct lens and mount it in the right position..there are several threads discussing this. Look at the turret models...

bizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
No one can recommend lens sizes because we dont know the distance.
For night vision go with hikvision 2mp cameras, you will not be able to capture a plate at night unless you dedicate a camera for plate capture and get the correct lens and mount it in the right position..there are several threads discussing this. Look at the turret models...
Ok, thank you fenderman. So stick with 2mp for the outdoor stuff. What about the hikvision EXIR line? Any better for outdoor night use than the regular stuff? I've never used turret cameras before. Can they be mounted on the side of a building such as a wall or do they need a special mount for that? As far as what lens to go with, is there a general guideline for distance for each of the different lenses such as 2.8mm is good for 5 feet 6mm for 20ft etc. or is it more dependent upon other factors as well? Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you fenderman. So stick with 2mp for the outdoor stuff. What about the hikvision EXIR line? Any better for outdoor night use than the regular stuff? I've never used turret cameras before. Can they be mounted on the side of a building such as a wall or do they need a special mount for that? As far as what lens to go with, is there a general guideline for distance for each of the different lenses such as 2.8mm is good for 5 feet 6mm for 20ft etc. or is it more dependent upon other factors as well? Thanks again.
The 4mp WD cameras are also better at night than the 3, but the 2mp should be a bit better. Exir is better at night..it is also less prone to spider web problems...The turret can be mounted anywhere because its 3 axis by definition, unlike some domes.
You can use this calculator for a VERY rough estimate. http://ipvm.com/calculator
If you are unsure, you can look at cameras with varifocal lenses, but they will cost you more are will be a pain to focus unless you get a motorized lens.
If you dont dedicate a camera for plates, the IR will simply reflect of the plate...

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a varifocal lens hikvision dome camera for sale in the classifieds, so you can adjust the lens just in case your not sure which lens to order.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5851-Hikvision-3mp-Varifocal-Vandal-Dome-brand-new-for-sale