Help newbie with System Design

crawtyger

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the ip camera world but have learned a lot by reading this forum. I am looking to design a system and need some help. I am leaning towards doing 4 hikvision 2032 cameras for my home. 2 will be mounted under my roof line which is pretty high (2 story, 25-30 feet). There will be one on each corner of the house. Should I purchase the 4mm lens which will give me a wide angle for these locations?

The 2 in the backyard will be mounted lower. 1 will mounted about 15 feet off the ground (outside wall of the stucco house) and the other will be under the back patio which will be mounted only about 8 feet high. Should I also do the 4mm lens for these or should I go with 6, 8 or 12mm? Also, the one on the back patio will be mounted high on the wall but was thinking maybe I should do a dome camera instead of the bullet for looks. Any suggestions on this?

The brains will be a media server PC that I have running Blue Iris. Everything will be connected using a POE gigabit switch.

Thanks in advance for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, mounting the cameras 30 feet up will give you a very poor angle, you will get head shots, not face shots..if you choose to mount it up there i would go with a 6mm lens at least...
The higher mm numbers give you a more narrow field of view so i doubt you want to do that for the back and patio..you should probably use 4mm if you are unsure..