Help, ordered the wrong cameras and need replacement advice

BBQFreak

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I was getting a solid setup during the Empiretech sale and ordered 3 IPC-Color4k-T-2.8mm, an IPC-Color4K-T180, a SD5A825GA-HNR, and the NVR5232-16P-EI to record everything. I didn't realize the 4 turret cameras won't work at night unless the visible LEDs are on and that's not really an option in my setup. Should I switch over to the IPC-T5842T-ZE or is there something else I should be looking for? The jury is out on the NVR and the AI on everything right now compared to my Frigate setup, but not sure that my PI running Frigate can handle 5 cameras. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I was getting a solid setup during the Empiretech sale and ordered 3 IPC-Color4k-T-2.8mm, an IPC-Color4K-T180, a SD5A825GA-HNR, and the NVR5232-16P-EI to record everything. I didn't realize the 4 bullet cameras won't work at night unless the visible LEDs are on and that's not really an option in my setup. Should I switch over to the IPC-T5842T-ZE or is there something else I should be looking for? The jury is out on the NVR and the AI on everything right now compared to my Frigate setup, but not sure that my PI running Frigate can handle 5 cameras. Thanks for any advice.
The led's dont have to be on. You just need some visible light in the area.
Why do you limit yourself to running frigate on PI, you can run it on something stronger.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you not read any of the reviews on the cams? It is made very clear that these cameras need visible light and do not see infrared and if you don't have it or refuse to run the white LED, then the 5442 is the better choice.

And what 4 bullets did you buy? You said three 4K-T which is turret and 4KT-180 which is a turret?

Don't chase MP. If you don't have the light for the 4K cams, the 5842 won't be the right camera either.

Post some screenshots of your area from your phone and what the 4K camera sees

BBQFreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you not read any of the reviews on the cams? It is made very clear that these cameras need visible light and do not see infrared and if you don't have it or refuse to run the white LED, then the 5442 is the better choice.

And what 4 bullets did you buy? You said three 4K-T which is turret and 4KT-180 which is a turret?

Don't chase MP. If you don't have the light for the 4K cams, the 5842 won't be the right camera either.

Post some screenshots of your area from your phone and what the 4K camera sees
I did, but not on this forum. I found ya'll pretty late in the game (yup, it's my fault, but I'm trying to correct that). My back yard is very dark and running the white LEDs for length at night just means I have a swarm of moths around the camera and light bleeds into the bedroom windows. I'll look at the 5442, thanks!

I mistyped/misspoke - 4 turrets

I left the 180 running last night just to see how it does throughout and there's not much to post. When the neighbor's motion light turned on you can barely make out my pool and my motion lights never turned on so it was pretty well a black image. I am going to toy with reconfiguring my motion lights though because I like the 180 and doesn't look like there's an IR option there.

BBQFreak

n3wb
Reaction score
The led's dont have to be on. You just need some visible light in the area.
Why do you limit yourself to running frigate on PI, you can run it on something stronger.
Yeah, going to see about repointing the motion lights in my backyard to supplement the camera - as far as Frigate - I got to thinking that just adding the NVR to the cameras would be more seamless than buying a mini-pc and moving Frigate over to that. Was really hoping for something simple for the wife to use when I'm not around. Not sure which will win yet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are late finding this site, keep in mind that unless you only care about OBSERVE capabilities, rarely does having all fixed lens cameras check all the boxes one is looking to accomplish with a system.

You selected all great cameras, but with the exception of the PTZ, none of these fixed lens will IDENTIFY a stranger at 40 feet out. A great camera used in the wrong application results in poor results. One camera is not the be all/see all.

See this thread for the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY. In many cases, 2MP is the proper choice.