sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This!
This is what I'm using.
i surf, do you tube, email, and run 18 camera's with this rig. ( mostly just BI) but I can log onto IPcamtalk and see whats up..LOL
Found this one for just over $600: OptiPlex 5060 I7-8700, 32 GB, 512 GB SSD, Radeon RX 550 4GB graphics. Dell OptiPlex 5060 SFF, i7-8700 6-core, 32GB DDR4, 512GB NVME SSD, Radeon RX 550 | eBay

I’m assuming the graphics card is a plus, but the tutorial posted about BI machines says a non-intel graphics card may cause problems? “Onboard Intel graphics are more than enough. In fact, it can sometimes be complicated getting Quick Sync hardware acceleration to work if you have installed a dedicated graphics card.”

The main purpose of the surveillance system is to monitor boat traffic. Not sure how blue iris does with detecting boats, but deepstack apparently recognizes them. Still learning, but looks like a better graphics card is beneficial w/ DS?

Regarding performance, how does the above PC compare to the HP EliteDesk 800 w/ I5-8500 and the Optiplex 5060 w/ I7-8700 you linked to?

I noticed the optiplex 5060 you posted says it has 32 GB RAM, but the item details says 16. Also 256 GB SSD vs 512 in the slightly more expensive one I found. Asked seller about RAM, waiting for reply.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
thats a fine system. you can use it all. quick sync will be fine once you learn how to adjust which cams are on hardware acceleration and which are not.....and I'm past my bed time, but There must be a way to utilize the GPU to do something to do work of some kind.....I'm thinking the Nvidia quadro cards work good with deepstack. not sure about Radeon Support. you can try both the CPU and GPU methods i guess.
or sell the radeon or use it on another machine if it's not Deepstack-able.
Either way it's a start.
just remember that version of Optiplex has only 3 SATA ports i think. some people take out the optical drive and make a FrankenPlex squeezing a second "full size" drive in. But you can just get a 7200 RPM 8TB WD Purp single instead.

Last edited: