Help picking new cameras

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I disagree with this stuff in europe.
Sadly gel filled cable seems not certified in europe, so you have to buy at least some "direct burial outdoor" cable. This will be best for any outdoor usage.

cable:

connectors:

tool:
any pass through crimp tool

US:
truecable / monoprice (discussed here everywhere).
@user8963 oops forgot about the outdoor requirements. It quiet rightly should be outdoor rated. I'll edit the post accordingly. :)

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do not fall for the MP trap. The 49225 and 49425 are on the same 1/2.8" sensor, which means the 2MP will kick the 4MP butt all night long. The 4MP will need double the light of the 2MP, which you have very little of at night.

The 2MP 49225 is the current champ at it's price point. And yes if you purchase from Andy it comes with autotrack. If you purchase anywhere else it does not. You likely will not find it cheaper elsewhere anyway. You can find on here where someone posted the firmware if you purchase it elsewhere, but that is obviously proceed at your own risk as the camera may brick if it is a different chipset (and yes there is a different chipset out on this camera that will brick). Just purchase from Andy and be done with it!

I can read street signs 1,000 feet away with my 49225. The zoom on this thing is incredible. As long as the camera is optically zoomed in (no different than the advice of any camera), you will read that stuff at 100 feet with no problem.

Sounds like you might need a bigger POE switch. Or purchase a second one if this one can't handle it.
Right, the 1/2.8 is good for 2MP but not for 4MP in low light. But will I really lose any functionality by going to 4MP if the 2MP can't identify faces/boat registration letters at night from 100+ feet away? If the 49225 is able to do that, then it's the clear choice. If it can't do that, then for an extra $40 I get 4MP instead of 2MP for added daytime clarity which may be useful. Opinion on whether the 49225 (or either of the other two) could ID faces or clearly show boat registrations at night from a good distance?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said, I can read street signs and license plates from 1,000 feet away, so if you have the field of view tight enough, you will read boat registration and get good faces from 100 feet away with this PTZ.

The biggest mistake people make is trying to make one camera do too much. So this PTZ at no zoom will not read registration or identify faces at 100 feet, but optically zoomed in it will. You set this camera to a tight field of view at the pinch point where a boat will go, and you will pick it up.

I have both the 49225 and 49425. The 49225 is the clear winner in all situations. It is much easier to dial settings of a daytime image down than it is to dial a nighttime image up.

Here is an image of text from 1,250 feet away.

1635178140491.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to do a temporary test rig mount, and test all proposed locations for a min of 24hrs, while recording, before any permanent mounting. What looks good on paper doesn't always play out well in reality.

Me, I'd spend the money on two more appropriate 5442's instead of a PTZ. A ptz has a high chance of looking the wrong way when something happens.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Alternately, the 5442s could be overview cameras and the PTZ can be triggered by them to zoom in on motion that they may detect. That does take some setup and a little tinkering, but it can work out quite well.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@qflyer
When I saw your important prop snapshot below, I thought you might want to consider Active Deterrence in addition to trying to identify the bad guy. Here's a Dahua active deterrence camera that Andy apparently sells.
Here's a video that kinda shows how it works.
IMG_6393.jpg

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I order one IPC-T5442T-ZE and a SD49225XA-HNR, will I be able to view/control them through a web interface before I get an NVR/BI machine? I know it won't record to anywhere, but I'm assuming it will have alerts etc active and a full control panel through it's IP address? Think I want to tinker with them a little before I decide on NVR or BI, so what will I miss out on with just the cameras hooked up to a POE+ switch?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely. So buy one and test it out with the camera GUI and the DMSS platform and then load BI on a computer and give it a try with the free demo.

Since your cameras would be remote, you wouldn't want a POE NVR because I doubt you want the NVR down on the dock. So you would get a NonPOE NVR and be done with it.

So either way, whether you go NVR or BI, you are fine.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I order one IPC-T5442T-ZE and a SD49225XA-HNR, will I be able to view/control them through a web interface before I get an NVR/BI machine? I know it won't record to anywhere, but I'm assuming it will have alerts etc active and a full control panel through it's IP address? Think I want to tinker with them a little before I decide on NVR or BI, so what will I miss out on with just the cameras hooked up to a POE+ switch?
Yes, they will work that way just fine. If you install a SD card in both, you can set it up to record as well, and retrieve the recordings via the web browser. Be sure to use IE for the browser, and not edge.
A Samsung Evo Plus card is a good choice, and plan on leaving it in the camera after you get an NVR or BI for backup.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted this thread, but I'm back with my next question: what computer should I buy for BI?

I've been tinkering with the SD49225 PTZ and a 5442 to get an idea of how many cameras I need and where to put them. I've got that worked out and will end up (for now) with six 5442s and two 49225 PTZs.

I'm sure I'll add more as time goes on, so I'd like to plan for a grand total of 12-16 cameras mostly 4MP but probably a couple 4K also down the road.

Prefer new PC over refurbished, but would like to keep the PC budget under $1,000 if possible. If I can't get new under $1,000 I guess I'd rather do refurbished instead of dropping down a step on the specs.

Based on all the guides on this page, I7-10700 or I9-10900 seems like the way to go for a new build. 512 GB SSD for BI and other system stuff plus a WD purple (8 TB+ I'm guessing).

The only "catch" is since the original budget is already blown, I'd like to use the computer for occasional web browsing, email, etc. No gaming, video conferencing, or anything like that - just basic day to day stuff. 95% of the time BI will be up and displaying cameras, but I want it recording all the cameras 24/7 even if I'm using the PC for other stuff if that's possible. I already have a few monitors I can use with the PC, so no need to figure a display into the budget.

I've read all the tutorials on what to get, but it's still a bit confusing when trying to match up all the correct components and not leave anything out. So if anyone has links to Amazon, Ebay, or your favorite PC store for a computer that fits the above requirements, if y'all could post them I'm ready to click the "buy now" button.

This whole process has drawn out longer than I thought it would, but I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel (I think!)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Save your money and get a used PC. That's all I buy from ebay. I have never had a dud with Dell Optiplex. HP Elitedesk SFF is even better for BI. ( 2 hard drive bays)
I bought this Optiplex one in 2015/$250 ( optiplex 9020 Mid Tower) and it been rock solid for 7 years. along with the 3 Optiplex 980 sff I bought for my Sons restaurant POS retail system, which have only needed an occasional hard drive, or power supply. with 24/7 operation. Parts availability on ebay is terrific. I can order practically any part i need to make a repair.

you can run BI and watch you tube and surf the web with anything like this.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
And if the thing eats a power supply its no biggie to find one on ebay. some retail products have difficult to navigate parts supply. The Corporate Lease/ Cube Farm/ PC's like Optiplex and Elitedesk/ Prodesk, are designed to be repaired and serviced by IT departments, and parts are easy to find, on a Google search.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you buy a cheap Box like the optiplex you can afford the SSD ( if it doesn't have one), and the surveillance drive, and the ram upgrades.
The margin on a new PC is gihugic. 2-3 years from now you'll be able to buy it for $3-400 bucks. after they soak you for $700-1000 on a new one.

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Save your money and get a used PC. That's all I buy from ebay. I have never had a dud with Dell Optiplex. HP Elitedesk SFF is even better for BI. ( 2 hard drive bays)
I bought this Optiplex one in 2015/$250 ( optiplex 9020 Mid Tower) and it been rock solid for 7 years. along with the 3 Optiplex 980 sff I bought for my Sons restaurant POS retail system, which have only needed an occasional hard drive, or power supply. with 24/7 operation. Parts availability on ebay is terrific. I can order practically any part i need to make a repair.

you can run BI and watch you tube and surf the web with anything like this.
Nice! That's way under what I thought I'd spend, but it's also not at the "top" of the recommended specs I've seen posted on this page and others. WD Purple adds another $300 to that price, so I'd still be a few hundred under budget. If you were looking for max performance (regardless of actual need), is there something you'd recommend in the $700 range which still leaves room for a 8+ TB WD Purple?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
this one above has a Quadro video card, which could also be utilized for Deepstack functionality. and 6 core 12 threads processor.
32Gb ram
and an SSD.
you ought abe able to find a better price on the WD purp. unless im outta touch with pricing.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

8 tb drive
you could probably get away with 4 or 6Tb for your size system. then add a 4Tb later if you can stuff one in.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This!
This is what I'm using.
i surf, do you tube, email, and run 18 camera's with this rig. ( mostly just BI) but I can log onto IPcamtalk and see whats up..LOL

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
With that one,,,you could buy 2-4TB Purples and have a fast video search. if you need to budget and buy one at a time and expand as budget allows....