Help recommend injector for ip8M-2899EW-AI

Reaction score
We simply can't do every single step for you. You need to take some initiative on your own.
You've been given all the proper links and information. Time to study.
Don't assume i'm not because if you're reading my messages I've been looking and why I am asking the things I am and asking for guidance in proper terminology etc.
I have been googling, reading, and getting information as I go while with many tabs open keeping history and finding the best solution I can as I am looking it up hence why I am even saying I can't find CMR + CMX certified cat6 ANYWHERE unless its some weird ebay seller as I can't find it even on the link for custom cables from the other person replying.
I am just trying to be safe since now I am being told I don't need shielded ethernet cables but then told I may need outdoor rated but then again I can't find outdoor-rated cables that are also in-wall rated, so it makes no sense and trying to find out where I am losing the information on what I am trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here ya go:
  • Use CMR jacket indoors
  • Use CMX jacket outdoors OR if the specs state "for outdoors" and has "UV protection", then use it outdoors. The words don't have to be verbatim. The intent is to protect the jacket from sunlight and moisture.
  • Use cable stated for "direct burial" or "flooded burial" if it's to be buried underground or below ground in conduit (water STILL gets into conduit).

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't assume i'm not because if you're reading my messages I've been looking and why I am asking the things I am and asking for guidance in proper terminology etc.
I have been googling, reading, and getting information as I go while with many tabs open keeping history and finding the best solution I can as I am looking it up hence why I am even saying I can't find CMR + CMX certified cat6 ANYWHERE unless its some weird ebay seller as I can't find it even on the link for custom cables from the other person replying.
I am just trying to be safe since now I am being told I don't need shielded ethernet cables but then told I may need outdoor rated but then again I can't find outdoor-rated cables that are also in-wall rated, so it makes no sense and trying to find out where I am losing the information on what I am trying to accomplish.
I already gave you a link that would of provided all that info, it you had looked around on that site for 3 minutes.

Reaction score
OK, here ya go:
  • Use CMR jacket indoors
  • Use CMX jacket outdoors OR if the specs state "for outdoors" and has "UV protection", then use it outdoors. The words don't have to be verbatim. The intent is to protect the jacket from sunlight and moisture.
  • Use cable stated for "direct burial" or "flooded burial" if it's to be buried underground or below ground in conduit (water STILL gets into conduit).
Btw thanks I ended up going with CMR just because seemed to be the easiest.
If you don't mind one more question, I do plan to mount it on my house like 10-15ft or so and I notice the camera has a earth wire, I went with the monoprice ethernet I linked and the TP link POE injector you said worked well so its POE no shielding as it probably will be going through a wall into the house just via a hole into one of the rooms...
Do I need to use the earth and if so how do I extend it, is there a certain gauge I want to use?
Thanks, just not familiar as I see so many cameras not have earth. It's a big camera so rather ask as I read tons of articles and no one really saying yes or no and cant find videos on how to do a earth extension or what wire to really use since its so small already so before I try doing it myself thought i'd ask, thanks again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do I need to use the earth and if so how do I extend it, is there a certain gauge I want to use?
Based on the fact that you did not deem it necessary to use shielded cable or install the Ubiquiti Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 surge protectors as I mentioned in my posts #12 and #14, it seems that you did not feel precautions for ESD from nearby lightning was required.

If you still think that, don't worry about that earth ground from the camera; if you now are concerned about ESD, the easiest thing to do would run shielded cable between the cam and an installed Ubiquiti Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 surge protector and properly ground the Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 as depicted here ==>> PoE Surge Protection?

Reaction score
Based on the fact that you did not deem it necessary to use shielded cable or install the Ubiquiti Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 surge protectors as I mentioned in my posts #12 and #14, it seems that you did not feel precautions for ESD from nearby lightning was required.

If you still think that, don't worry about that earth ground from the camera; if you now are concerned about ESD, the easiest thing to do would run shielded cable between the cam and an installed Ubiquiti Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 surge protector and properly ground the Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2 as depicted here ==>> PoE Surge Protection?
Great picture! Would this not be possible with 1 ETH-SP-G2? Since this wont go on a pole I guess and it would be a wood house Could I do this??

Camera ----> Shielded outdoor cable ----> ETH-SP-G2 to the earth pole I think I have on side of my house but the run would be around 10-15ft in ethernet ----- > through wall into my house to POE Injector?

I ask because is it effective to have the ethernet running down side of my house atleast that length to get near the grounding earth pole if something did happen and would it even be effective at all as I only have one pole near where my cable internet comes in.

Flaws of this I don't know.

I assume I can mount the EPH SP G2 to like my wooden fence near the grounding pole and run some sort of wire from it? Im searching for the drain wire I assume just dunno what its exactly called for that type I could probably use with the end on it.

I will say though I still am not familliar how to exactly extend the earth from the camera properly if I did change my plan of attack.

Last edited: