Help recommend injector for ip8M-2899EW-AI

Reaction score
I got an ip8M-2899EW-AI otw, was wondering what injector I should use reasonably priced, new to POE and all that so even a good ethernet cable off amazon would be recommended for outdoor use, snow, rain, cold etc.
I looked at the injector spreadsheet but dont know how updated it is as I see alot of trendnet/tplink recommendations elsewhere for POE+ but my camera I guess may use 3a it seems so making sure its powered enough etc.

Thank you.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, is there a ethernet cable you would recommend to use as well that isn't too expensive between 50-100ft.
Will this cable run between floors, inside walls, in crawl spaces or attics?

Can you terminate the cable yourself with RJ-45 connectors OR do you require that it be already terminated with RJ-45 (Ethernet) connectors?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its going outside so yes it will go inbetween walls and what and in ceiling too possibly.
I can do it myself I have a regular crimper but I also dont want to buy $100+ worth of cabling I won't use ever again for like 250+ ft Id like to spend like $50 at best for 100+ ft if its not terminated already as I'd also assume I have to get shielded or grounded plugs????

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its going outside so yes it will go inbetween walls and what and in ceiling too possibly.
I can do it myself I have a regular crimper but I also dont want to buy $100+ worth of cabling I won't use ever again for like 250+ ft Id like to spend like $50 at best for 100+ ft if its not terminated already as I'd also assume I have to get shielded or grounded plugs????
If you buy a pre-connectored cable you have to drill at least a 3/4" hole. It also likely won't have the jacket needed for in-wall, ceiling, etc. You want cable with CMR (riser) rated jacket to help prevent flames traveling along the conductor. Failure to use the required jacket could mean in case of fire the insurance co. may try to deny a claim saying the inferior jacket help spread the fire.

Bulk cable will require only a 3/8" hole, half the size of the pre-terminated cable. Cable with a CMR-rated jacket can be easily found by the foot or 100 ft. length at Home Depot or Lowes.

As stated by @looney2ns , you want solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA). You may be able to find a pre-terminated, solid copper (not stranded, not CCA) patch cable with CMR jacket of the desired length but it may be hard to find. The more expensive CMP (plenum) jacket can be used where a CMR is required but not the other way around.

Reaction score
links are always apprecaited :) also I can always just cut the end off a pre-terminted ot keep same smaller hole.

I just dont want to by a excessive amount that I will never use.

The issue I run into is searching amazon using all the correct terms I run out of the correct options so like U/TP or FTP etc. w/e I could use that assistance.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just let me know cause i don't know what to trust online so all the help so far has been great.
Go to Cables for Less for custom length, color and solid or stranded (choose solid for your application). You can have boot or no boot, crimped or not. If you get crimped, be sure to specify T-568B wiring on BOTH ends. The chart will give you an immediate price.

Contact them first to ask for a custom cable as above but with a riser-rated jacket, CMR.

They are in Mooresville, IN about 150 miles from @looney2ns . :cool:

Reaction score
It won't hurt but depending on where you live and where and how long the run is, it may not be necessary.
If I did go with shielded, I'd also install Ethernet surge protectors, such as the Ubiquiti unit described here.
So the POE injector being grounded isn't enough?

I rarely ever have like power outage issues etc.

But I do live where it rains, and snows alot so only reason I am trying to make sure I buy what I should and need, if I don't need shielded then I'm fine with that, that also means I wouldn't need shielded ethernet ends correct?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you don't get periodic, severe lighting I wouldn't worry about shielded cable, shielded RJ-45's or Ethernet surge protectors.
The concern is ESD (static) from nearby lighting strikes induced onto Ethernet cables and power lines.

I would, however, have my NVR, POE switches/injectors and PC on a quality UPS (battery backup) of the proper capacity regardless of where I lived to help protect against damage from power surges, brown-outs, etc.

Reaction score
Well like I said, if I don't need it I'm glad its just one more expense not needed basically....haha

So I could use
Without a problem then if I really wanted to and just deal with the excess cable cause its fairly priced at this point. Just as long as I properly use the cameras housing etc.? Or do I need something else?
I really want outdoor stuff too, if its like under $70 for 500ft to 250ft id prolly be interested and just do it myself.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I could use
Without a problem then if I really wanted to and just deal with the excess cable cause its fairly priced at this point.
Yes, that's really good cable and a great vendor.
I really want outdoor stuff too, if its like under $70 for 500ft to 250ft id prolly be interested and just do it myself.
You want outdoor-rated if the cable is directly exposed to sun (UV) and rain.
The CMR-rated is OK outdoors only if it is NOT in the direct sun or weather, like under an eave, under a soffit, behind siding, etc.

Reaction score
I can not fine CMR with outdoor use
Like honestly no where...haha its either CMR or CMX or someone claims UV resistant but its not.

Am I looking something up wrong?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can not fine CMR with outdoor use
Like honestly no where...haha its either CMR or CMX or someone claims UV resistant but its not.

Am I looking something up wrong?
CMX is for outdoor use (moisture protection) and UV (sunlight protection).