Help retrieving video clip from NVR!

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I'm sure this is covered here, but I’m in a panic. Please point the way!

I have a Dahua NVR4104HS-P-4KS2 with an SD-49225T-HN PTZ POE camera attached. I have not done my homework. Suddenly I have a recording from which I need to extract a video clip to give to the police.
My NVR records continuously. Today is 9-29-2020. I need to extract a 7 minute clip from the recording of 9-28-2020. I fired up SmartPSS on my Windows PC and successfully added the NVR, but don’t see how to view or excerpt a clip.

I’d be very grateful for a steer in the right direction to get this done!

Thanks, - Dave

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Using the + sign at top left click it and choose playback from the screen
playback0.jpg playback01.jpg

First thing you need to do on Playback screen is check the camera you wish to playback and choose the timeframe
playback02.jpg

Hit search and you will see a green timeline for the period and camera you selected
playback1.jpg

Next use your mouse wheel by hovering over the timeline and scrolling the wheel, this will "zoom" in the timeline making it easier to pick an exact time. Then click on the timeline where you want the recording to start and immediately click the Scissors icon at the bottom left. This sets the beginning of the clip
playback2.jpg

Next- with your mouse go all the way to the very right edge of the timeline, click and hold to drag the Ending point over to where you want to end the clip on the timeline. This is tricky to snag that end point, practice a few times.
playback3.jpg

Once you have a beginning and Endpoint simply click the scissors icon again and you will get a download popup. Make sure and choose mp4 and whatever folder you want to save it to. Hit OK and it will save the clip
playback4.jpg

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi! thanks for the quick reply. I chose my clip start and stop times with the calendars in "Time" in the menu in the lower left of the screen. II select start and stop with the scissors like you said. I get the warning about the camera playing back while trying to export (Snap1). When I get to the export dialog it shows that it is going to export a full hour! (Screenshot) It's got the starting time right but it doesn't get the end time right. I'm probably close, but no cigar - yet! Can you see where I'm going astray?

- Dave

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi! thanks for the quick reply. I chose my clip start and stop times with the calendars in "Time" in the menu in the lower left of the screen. II select start and stop with the scissors like you said. I get the warning about the camera playing back while trying to export (Snap1). When I get to the export dialog it shows that it is going to export a full hour! (Screenshot) It's got the starting time right but it doesn't get the end time right. I'm probably close, but no cigar - yet! Can you see where I'm going astray?

- Dave

Yes you get the warning, simply say OK and it will close the playing video and download. No problem

On the hour recording, you didnt have your stop set right. It will by default try to export 1 hour if you dont give it an end time
See this cap? you should have a separate start and stop and it will show the times on the little flags
playback3.jpg

If you see both the start and stop flag, you can grab the little red dot on the end flag and drag it to where you want to stop

Last edited:

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never get the selected segment on the timeline to go dark green like yours shows. I'll play with it. If I don't get it I'll record the hour and chop it.

If I get it right, I'll post the clip. Hilarious Sign Theft Fail. - Dave

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got it down to under 7 minutes, but there is a four minute dead space I want to replace with a brief text transition that explains: "Four Minutes Later..." Can I do it in Microsoft Photos? Or what other app woulbe quick and easy?

Thanks - Dave

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice

I’m leaning towards facing mine towards the street, thick black tar around the outside edge on the back, and 10ft of slack paracord discreetly tied to the bottom legs and anchored to the palm tree 10ft behind it....

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The day of the sculduggery was preceded by rainy and windy periods and I had been pressing the stout legs of sign frame deeper and deeper into the soil to keep it straight. So it was in there pretty good when the perps came along. If she had managed to get it loose she still would have dropped it when the slack came out of the jack chain secured to a leg of the sign frame and a support column on my front porch. (North Texas- I don't have a palm tree. LOL)

Karma- but I am still knocking on wood! ;)

rick442

n3wb
Reaction score
bigredfish is on the right track. Years back I used to work in construction. A new housing development I was working on had a problem with kids stealing the street name signs. We took a grease gun and applied liberally along the top. Problem solved!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I love the lets just try and look casual look with a grey hoodie pulled over my face in blazing sunshine as we walk past the same stretch of pavement 5 times eyeing the sign before going back and getting it. We have a wrod for people like that over here, eijits. Not sure where it came from but you can find it in the urban dictionary.

Incidentally, what scared them off were you home and challenged them? Also, are you still monitoring the CCTV with alerts? My guess is they'll come back and try again overnight.

BTW one way to stop theft is that anti-climb paint. It stays liquid and is all slimy and like a green grease if soemone handles the area it's applied to. You could paint the top of the large sign and all of the signs legs with the stuff.

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Eijits- combines the worst of ignorance and stupidity. The one with the black hoodie showed part of her face pretty clearly as she exited the frame the first time. I thought I could almost make out the lettering on the fronts of their outfits. Maybe a super analyst at the PD could come up with something. I wouldn't be surprised if the PD could make out part of the license plate on the white Nissan Rogue they drove off in. I dropped off a copy of the video at the police department in case it could have been any use to them

The perps were kind of jittery anyway, so I'm guessing that they freaked and fled when the bigger girl realized she couldn't quickly get the sign out of the ground. I'm recording 24/7 but without alerts. If they come back they will have to bring along some heavy duty wire cutters to cut the chain.

I haven't wanted to use goop on the frame because when I mow I pull the sign up and set it aside.

Thanks for the comment!

Dave McKeen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's another video:

The video quality is disappointing. The Starlight's image in IR mode with its internal IR illumination turned off used to be spectacular. Then about a year ago I made an adjustment to the image's Gamma in the app and it broke. No undo. I am reluctant to send it back to China to be fixed. <sigh>

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another video:

The video quality is disappointing. The Starlight's image in IR mode with its internal IR illumination turned off used to be spectacular. Then about a year ago I made an adjustment to the image's Gamma in the app and it broke. No undo. I am reluctant to send it back to China to be fixed. <sigh>
You cant expect any camera do well in this condition - shining a light directly at it. The gamma setting did not break the camera. IF you there there is an issue with the settings, perform a factory reset, you dont need to send it back to china for that. Sigh.