Help selecting PTZ POE outdoor camera

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for a solid IP camera to cover backyard. About 140ft back to the tree line and 80-100ft on either side of the mounting location and also a back patio area right next to the mounting location and a little behind it. Will be run with BlueIris, of course. Ok spending up to $500 for a quality camera, if needed, with good night vision (I was focusing on ones with a nice IR light source because otherwise I think it will be very difficult to see if there is anything at the tree line) and best at monitoring this fairly large space. I'll be using POE to run power and data. Most likely mounting location is on a wall siding (with builders edge mounting plate). Could do a ceiling mount (directly on a roof soffit) if it was a lightweight turret but not sure if those are up to covering a large area like my backyard, which is why I was focusing more on the pendant style camera.

I have been looking at the following:

Reolink RLC-423 - 5MP PTZ PoE Security IP Camera
2K HD Outdoor PTZ IP Camera with 12× Optical Zoom, 330ft IR Night Vision, Color Night Vision, Metal Camera

Any suggestions on the above or others I should consider, let me know. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
check out these threads.
I have the model in the link below and i have been very pleased with it. Good luck.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO reolink.

What do you want to use the PTZ for ? Watching for animal and pets in the back yard. If it is for security, the general rule is the PTZ will be pointing in the wrong direction when the action occurs. It is recommended that you will need a spotter camera so that it will move the PTZ to the correct point.
Or better yet use multiple fixed cameras with different lens to cover the yard.

Reaction score
NO reolink.

What do you want to use the PTZ for ? Watching for animal and pets in the back yard. If it is for security, the general rule is the PTZ will be pointing in the wrong direction when the action occurs. It is recommended that you will need a spotter camera so that it will move the PTZ to the correct point.
Or better yet use multiple fixed cameras with different lens to cover the yard.

Thanks for the reply. I get your point, certainly. It is in part for security and also for animal tracking. The coverage area near my house (patio) has a motion sensor and I have homeseer so the idea was to redirect the camera at the patio if it isn't already pointed at it if it is tripped, which is the only area where there could be some intrusion or other criminal behavior. The backyard is lower than the first floor by 1/2 story. I guess my budget is out of range of anything that would be able to scan and track moving objects... Cameras that appear to have that sentry feature appear to be more expensive by maybe 2x like the HIKVision.

When you say spotter camera, can you explain what you mean by that? A small camera to detect movement and then have it move to some preset position?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score