Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
That's just the outer sheath protecting the inner important cables and if it works as it should I wouldn't worry about that to be honest.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I see a lot of reflection from you taking a pic through a bag ! :) you sometimes see some marks, scuffs, on cables that can be caused by Dahua packaging, movement in shipping if it was caught between top dome and packaging etc.

Would not worry as that is the cable sheath only. Unless you see a cut all the way through the sheath and into wires nothing to worry about.

Pardon my OCD, but are these crease lines on the cable normal? View attachment 54600

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for confirming that. I've seen similar creases (but obviously a lot smaller in extent) on the smaller turrets. I'm going to have to get used to this PTZ size. Its a lot bigger than what I was expecting; glad that I didn't order the 5"-inch model, lol

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hahah if you think that’s big you should see the Hunters and Ultras :) they give your arms a workout.

Take your time, bench test, mount and install correctly and make sure to configure properly. Then enjoy !

Awesome, thank you for confirming that. I've seen similar creases (but obviously a lot smaller in extent) on the smaller turrets. I'm going to have to get used to this PTZ size. Its a lot bigger than what I was expecting; glad that I didn't order the 5"-inch model, lol

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Those models would have exceeded my budget by four-fold, haha

Hahah if you think that’s big you should see the Hunters and Ultras :) they give your arms a workout.

Take your time, bench test, mount and install correctly and make sure to configure properly. Then enjoy !

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well enjoy this one, really is a very capable cam with phenomenal image. SMD & Deep IVS work really well on this and reach out if you need any help. DM if you need further help with config etc.

Those models would have exceeded my budget by four-fold, haha

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new 32x?
it is the same size.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I went with the 25x because from what I've read, it seems that at higher zoom level, there is an issue with autofocus not properly working resulting in a blurred out image

Has anyone tried the new 32x?
it is the same size.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
(On Auto-Tracking being removed from the model...)
Unfortunately this was a surprise to us all including Andy. Just remember as I’ve shared above, @GuitarKin too that using IVS triggers and presets or even PTZ activation allows you to accomplish similar (albeit no ‘tracking’) and impressive results ...
That is indeed impressive. Looks like a lot of setup work, though. (Perhaps not so bad once you've done it once or twice.) And y'know what: If the camera had originally been sold w/o AT, and I hadn't seen the problems I've seen reported here: I might be seriously entertaining acquiring one. (In fact I briefly considered asking for one for my birthday.)

Yes as I mentioned a few posts ago, definitely a PTZ can be jostled, mis-aligned etc when on power, cutting power mid movement, moving to final position, in transit, when mounting etc and ... I recommend people be cautious of and plan for when testing and installing a PTZ.
I know Reolink isn't much respected around here, but I gotta tell y'all: My Reolink C1 Pro, for which I paid all of $85 a little over two years ago, has endured all kinds of light abuse--incl. being jostled; being interrupted during POST; installed, un-installed, packed away, and reinstalled at least four times, etc. It's PTZ has never given me a moment's trouble. The video quality on my five 2mp Dahua cams (four varifocals and a fixed) is much better, but they cost 1-1/2 to 2 times as much, so I'd certainly hope they'd have something over the Reolink.

[/QUOTE]
Well as I mentioned above, I wouldn’t right any PTZ off just for Auto Tracking because using the IVS triggers, MD, PTZ activation etc you can end up with a more rock solid capture setup anyway.
I'm not writing this camera off for that, per se. I'm writing it off for Dahua doing the worst kind of bait-and-switch - selling something with a feature, then removing that feature after the fact, and for what sounds to me, from what I'm reading here, like build quality I feel unacceptable for a $360+ cam.

I'm open to having my mind changed, but, from what I've seen here so far, I think it unlikely that's going to happen.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As I told Andy, I would expect perfection if I had bought one of these:

1580062677762.png

For a tenth of the price, the Dahua was an experiment on my part, and the auto-tracking turned out to be good enough in its own right. The loss of Pan orientation was the fundamental issue, it resulted in the camera looking in unexpected directions, especially after trying to return from a location normally behind and below it.

If the slippage is fixed on return, then the Dahua might go back in its intended spot in the parking lot. Otherwise I have an alternate use in mind, combining the high zoom with the ability to steer the camera, to try to document and nail offenders in a nearby city park where we have had a lot of bad behavior including four stabbings, many assaults, drug use and dealing, and gang-tagging. The camera wouldn't have to make large arcs, just very small movements.

Also: on the topic of the slippage, if I were Dahua, I would consider having the Pan motor ramp its speed much more gradually when initiating a pan. That's a pure software fix that would help if the core issue is belt slippage.

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Saw the Loryta. Wasn't sure about it or who it is sent from. Very curious to see how it works out.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Loryta is just the label Andy puts on the cameras he sells on Amazon.com @EMPIRETECANDY He requires the label in order to be able to sell on Amazon. In other words Loryta is just a name designation indicating these cameras are sold exclusively from Andy but via his store on Amazon.

Saw the Loryta. Wasn't sure about it or who it is sent from. Very curious to see how it works out.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went with the 25x because from what I've read, it seems that at higher zoom level, there is an issue with autofocus not properly working resulting in a blurred out image
Is that still the case after all these months that passed?

When did the 32x come out? I thought the 32x was brand new. Is this the model you are referencing?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems to be an issue that is also prevalent on the ultra-zoom 5.3mm-64mm 2mp Bullet cameras as per those discussions; there have been multiple attempts to resolve this via firmware updates
I haven't heard anything relating to autofocus on the 25x PTZ
Is that still the case after all these months that passed?

When did the 32x come out? I thought the 32x was brand new. Is this the model you are referencing?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to be an issue that is also prevalent on the ultra-zoom 5.3mm-64mm 2mp Bullet cameras as per those discussions; there have been multiple attempts to resolve this via firmware updates
I haven't heard anything relating to autofocus on the 25x PTZ
It was also mentioned with above model? I could not find it anywhere on forum except here but no mention of issues.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It was also mentioned with above model? I could not find it anywhere on forum except here but no mention of issues.
Looks like it was in reference to the SD49225T older model; not sure if it is necessarily applicable to this AI model