Help Setting up a Honeywell HEW4PRW3 as ip not NVR

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Tony

ive entered all my information in there multiple times and it just comes up with the same error, I have even entered my details heaps of times annoying thing is each time I save it or hit apply it comes up with the error and deletes all the information back to default.

Ive also noticed even when i uncheck enable smtp and then click save it fails to update smpt error??

Last edited:

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Also Just went back into the ipconfigtool im using and noticed I cant do a clean config see below screenshot... It saids cant connect to device yet on another tab I can see live stream of the video. Something funny is going on here could this be related to me having to refresh 20 to 30 times on the web gui until I finally can load up a login page?

1642641355613.png

1642641382715.png

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem is here perhaps these cameras aren't designed to work without a NVR? I can take video of me trying to connect to them most times takes 40 or 50 times to enter the web GUI interface and sometimes its corrupt.. Its Frustrating the crap outta me. I really just want to set them up for motion detection as without motion detection shots they are basically useless I might as well go out and buy fake cameras with a flashing led light.... no point having cameras if you cant capture motion detection

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I found this after an exhaustive search. It's a Honeywell training Powerpoint that shows how to reset several different models of their "Performance Series" cameras.

However, when you look at the one for your cam, I'm pretty sure they got it wrong! All the other models point to the 2 small holes to short when resetting; your cam is the ONLY one which shows the 2 holes are the serial port and the reset is the 4 holes. Below is an enlarged and corrected (green arrows) version of the image for your cam, then a screen shot of the PP presentation.

Anyway, if you need to reset the cam, you apply power, short the 2 small pins with a paperclip for 5 seconds.

View attachment 115693

View attachment 115694
Can you send me this file I'm actually wondering now if I need to some how use the 4 pin holes to rest the camera for smpt email motion detection?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem is here perhaps these cameras aren't designed to work without a NVR? I can take video of me trying to connect to them most times takes 40 or 50 times to enter the web GUI interface and sometimes its corrupt.. Its Frustrating the crap outta me. I really just want to set them up for motion detection as without motion detection shots they are basically useless I might as well go out and buy fake cameras with a flashing led light.... no point having cameras if you cant capture motion detection
No, they should work without a NVR. Not sure why you're having so many issues...it could be so many things. Do you have access to another PC? Even if you take the one cam, a few Ethernet cables and a POE switch / POE injector to a friend's place and just try to open up the cam's webGUI?

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
No, they should work without a NVR. Not sure why you're having so many issues...it could be so many things. Do you have access to another PC? Even if you take the one cam, a few Ethernet cables and a POE switch / POE injector to a friend's place and just try to open up the cam's webGUI?
Its weird I nearly feel like taking a video and showing it, my POE injector is a chinese cheapy and im reluctant to decomissin my chinesee cheap cam as at the moment its the most reliable..... I nearly feel like I need a NVR something is a miss here....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you send me this file I'm actually wondering now if I need to some how use the 4 pin holes to rest the camera for smpt email motion detection?
The 2 holes are for reset, the 4 are for a TTL-level serial connection using a terminal program, for talking with the embedded firmware at at the cam's operating system level. That is something you probably won't have any success with and frankly I can't help you with that. But I'll attach the presentation file below since you asked.

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
The 2 holes are for reset, the 4 are for a TTL-level serial connection using a terminal program, for talking with the embedded firmware at at the cam's operating system level. That is something you probably won't have any success with and frankly I can't help you with that. But I'll attach the presentation file below since you asked.
Is the presentation attached?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many of these cams did you buy?
Can you try another cam and another PC at a friends place as I mentioned in post #25?

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
How many of these cams did you buy?
Can you try another cam and another PC at a friends place as I mentioned in post #25?
I bought 2 cams originally and have just purchased another 2 so four in total now. My cheap chinese ip cam is the winner here im not decomissioning it until I have these other cams worked out, which is a worry as they seem hard to setup properly

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try the above if I can perhaps at work... Would it be worth upgrading the firmware on the cameras at all? Do you know wher eI could find the latest firmware for this model cameras I did notice the microsoft certificate expire don the 20th may 2020. Perhaps If i upgrade the firmware it might resolve some bugs im thinking probably being hopeful but you never know. I tried a fresh copy of amcrest pro again didnt resolve the issue and I also cant get the test email to work when directly logging into the cameras on the web GUI.... It slike something is blocked but i cant possibly be because my chineese cam has no problems using the mail server to capture motion detection

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try the above if I can perhaps at work... Would it be worth upgrading the firmware on the cameras at all? Do you know wher eI could find the latest firmware for this model cameras I did notice the microsoft certificate expire don the 20th may 2020. Perhaps If i upgrade the firmware it might resolve some bugs im thinking probably being hopeful but you never know. I tried a fresh copy of amcrest pro again didnt resolve the issue and I also cant get the test email to work when directly logging into the cameras on the web GUI.... It slike something is blocked but i cant possibly be because my chineese cam has no problems using the mail server to capture motion detection
Tried at work and still no go.... What I've noticed though when I log into the WEB GUI it doesn't save the configuration file also when i enter smtp email settings... I did a bit of googling and also people suggest that if you have to keep clicking many many times to logon to the camera like I do the camera could be infected with malware? I'm not sure these cameras where never set up to email via motion detection anyway or used as ip cameras without a nvr maybe im just going to be chasing my tail. The only thing I can think of is try updating the firmware I have 4 cameras and only using 3 so not heaps concerned if I brick one... I still can't download the plugin either on the web gui to get a live picture on the cam. I'm thinking a correct firmware or update might solve some issues

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Still struggling with this... Here is a screenshot of me logged into the web gui it wont work with email the test fails... Any ideas anyone?
camerahelp.png

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insure you log into your Google account and enable "allow less secure apps" .
If no joy, try port 587 and TLS authentication.

Benscott

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi TonyR. I've done this and it still fails. I use the gmail account on my chineese cam and it works fine. I have a feeling its something to do with the firmware now as it fails immediately on the web gui and also on other software. On some software I can actually send a test email that confirms it works but never anything including pictures from the camera. Its a bizzare situation