Help Setting up my IP Camera System in my new house

hippak

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All. Thanks in advance for reading this!

I have built a new house and currently have 5 cameras on the exterior (POE, Reolink 4MP Bullet Cameras). The cameras are wired via Ethernet into a a room in the basement where I will have my modem for internet plus all other wiring.

I would like to understand what else I need to purchase to get up and running. I live overseas and only spend 1-2 months at the house so being able to monitor the cameras remotely via smartphone is extremely important.

Given my situation, should i be using an NVR or a blue iris setup?

If NVR: Can someone recommend an NVR that has an excellent mobile viewing app?
Edit: I should mention that we have heavily invested into the apple ecosystem so would need a NVR that has a good IOS application.

If Blue Iris: What additional items do I need to get things working and what would the setup look like?
e.g. computer with a large harddrive and at least a I7-6700k + a powered switch? For the setup am I correct to assume that all the cameras connect into the switch, along with the computer? Does the computer need 2 network ports so that it can connect to the internet or do I connect the switch to the internet and then by connecting the computer to the switch this will provide internet for blue iris. Sorry for the basic questions here, I am just trying to think about what type of computer I can get e.g. small form factor. Lastly how important is the video card? Onboard or do I need a seperate video card?

Thanks for all the help!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
hippak,

Welcome to the forum!
Camera and Nvr compatibility
Suggestion on what NVR to buy

So much info is already here, just waiting for you to unearth it. That's way faster than asking questions, waiting for answers, that will only lead to your next question. The learning curve can be dealt with more productively by doing your basic research here first.

That said, try these search terms in Google. You'll get great answers to the questions you asked. And the subsequent questions you haven't asked yet....

newbie, advice, guidance, site:ipcamtalk.com
nvr vs bi, site:ipcamtalk.com
ios app, site:ipcamtalk.com

That last term will restrict hits/links to this forum only. No wading through sales sites....

Again, Welcome!

Fastb

hippak

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fastb.

Based on the searches I have opted for a blueiris setup and will actually add an additional camera.

I also was able to find some information on the computer setup but would still like to check if my understanding is correct:

Computer: i5 or i7, 8GB and a large HD
Computer connects to a POE Switch, All cameras connect to the POE switch and the POE switch connects to my router. Therefore I dont need 2 network cards in the computer. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Fastb.

Based on the searches I have opted for a blueiris setup and will actually add an additional camera.

I also was able to find some information on the computer setup but would still like to check if my understanding is correct:

Computer: i5 or i7, 8GB and a large HD
Computer connects to a POE Switch, All cameras connect to the POE switch and the POE switch connects to my router. Therefore I dont need 2 network cards in the computer. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Correct. No need for more than one network connection on your computer. At least in the case of a simple network anyway. The switch serves as the 'backbone' for your network and directs traffic where it needs to go among the various devices attached to it (router, computer, cameras, printers, etc.). Lots of variations possible beyond that depending on what you want/need to do but that's the basic idea.