Help setting up PTZ security camera.

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm afraid I need some help setting up my security camera system. I don't know very much about computers,routers,networks etc. The camera didn't come with instructions and an itty bitty cd that doesn't fit into my computer. The DVR I have came with instructions but nothing I understand that tells me how to link the camera and the DVR. I just want to be able to look around my yard at night when the motion sensors go off. I understand I have probably done some foolish things but I assumed from what I saw on youtube I would be able to make it all work. I can follow instructions well and I have some common sense, which is how I found this place. I probably should have the Geek Squad at bestbuy come and hook it up but I enjoy learning and doing things myself. If anyone is up to the challenge of helping me learn about this stuff you can e-mail me at kenna4u@yahoo.com or call me anytime at 980-221-9587 or if you think its best to call in the Geek Squad let me know by replying. Thanks so much. Kevin

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... First tell us what model camera you have and what model dvr/nvr...
The disc you received with the camera will fit in your computer... There is a space for it...
Please don't call the geek squad... They barely know what they are doing when it comes to computers.. Let alone cameras and networks..

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is from Zoneway.hd 1080p outdoor high speed ptz dome cctv ip camera 10x zoom ir onvif, no specific model number. . The plugs are 12v, cat 5, and rs485. The DVR is from Great Wall. model gw7204c1dvr. I have a vga cable to an 8 inch screen. Normally when you put the disk in the computer it tells you how to do everything but I just don't know where to put it. Thanks for your help by the way. I work part time and have to get dinner ready soon because work just called me in. I work in an ER.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The disc is small, but it will still go in your dvd tray. First things first, power up and wire the camera to your router. Run the disc and see if there is a utility file so it can find the IP of the camera.

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
I have to go to work soon so i will do that tomorrow about 10am eastern. The outside of the cam has the ip number and the login and pw on a sticker.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I cant find the dvr listed online...do you have a link to the product? What worries me is the DVR in the model number...you need an NVR not DVR...Are you certain that its compatible? With ip cameras you cannot easily mix and match cams and NVR's.....

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
My intention was to hard wire a camera to the DVR so there would be no skipping of the picture on the screen so I didn't think it would matter as long as the dvr had all the connections in the back.I assumed the ethernet port would transmit the picture to the DVR and the rs485 and 12v cables powered the camera. I was surprised however that I got no picture on my monitor when I hooked up the camera and the dvr with an ethernet cable. The IR lights came on and the camera turned once but no picture. This is the camera on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZONEWAY-PTZ-Control-HD-Zoom-Outdoor-IP-Camera-CMOS-IR-Night-Vision-Waterproof-/111428625863?pt=US_Security_Cameras&hash=item19f1a9e5c7. If you scroll down the page about 3/4 of the way there is a set up diagram and the DVR has all the connections as this diagram. This is for the DVR on amazon http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3PJC1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot use that DVR with this camera. It is a DVR for analog cameras not ip cameras. The network connections is just for remote viewing of the DVR and remote setup/settings changes. Return it asap if you still can. Its hard to tell what NVR the camera would work with because its off brand...If you can return it do so...Again with IP cameras you cannot just mix a match cameras and NVR's its not that simple. The camera might work with blue iris as there are several zoneway cams listed but you will need to use your pc for your NVR...(the PC cannot be old and under powered)...

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I guess. I will try to use my laptop as the nvr for now until I get a new one and I will attempt to return the dvr as well. Thanks so much for helping me. I got the disk in the computer and I'm trying to load up the software.

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
My computer didn't trust the software and wouldn't let me download the programs. I guess the next step would be to return the camera and get one that is not an IP camera so I can still use the dvr and the monitor. Any suggestions for one that works with this dvr. I want to be able to see about 50 ft at night. I want to have a good zoom so I can give the police a decent image if needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, i think you are looking at this backwards...you want to return the DVR and the camera and get a known brand ip camera like dahua that you can use either with a dahua NVR or their pc software called pss. In this day and age any new install should not be analog.
Do you really need a pan tilt zoom camera? will you be actively watching the camera so that you can zoom in on the subject? Do you intend to install motion sensors to trigger the camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking for something plug and play, you may be better off with a system like this.
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100128993.html
You have six cams so you can place a couple at the choke points (locations where the subject must pass through so you get a nice closeup shot). And the rest for a broader view. This comes with everything you need and is as close to plug and play as you can get with ip cameras. You only need to run a single ethernet cable to each camera...power and data is transmitted over the one cable. Best part is that its costco so you can return it anytime if you dont like it. DO NOT BUY THEIR CHEAPER ANALOG SYSTEMS that they sell in store and online. Aside from the six 1080p cameras and NVR the system includes a 2tb drive (which is a WD purple drive).

Bensdad527

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have wireless motion sensors in my yard. When the radio receiver beeps I just can't see what is in that zone. I just want to look at my yard to see what is setting them off at night rather than go outside everytime. I don't think I need PTZ necessarily but I want a quality picture for evidence so some sort of zoom would be nice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with fenderman 100%. That is the PTZ to buy if you must have PTZ, but the all in one system he linked from costco will be a lot more practical.