Help with cable run layout?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hoping maybe you guys can help me out with my run layout...

I was originally thinking only using conduit to run up the side of the building ( shown in picture 1) and then running the bare wire across the top inside or outside of the brick to the cameras ( shown in picture 2) . Now I am wondering if i should run conduit throughout... Maybe run conduit across the bottom of the building behind the bushes then run it vertically to the first camera and continue from there?

EDIT:

OK, I decided I am going to use conduit. I really would like some opinions on my run plan though. please see my post below with picture.

What are your thoughts? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:

kroq83

n3wb
Reaction score
To do the job right to do in conduit. I would use pvc gray conduit.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I decided I am going to use conduit. I really would like some opinions on my run plan though.

This is what I came up with...

I will run each wire one at a time but I am still concerned with all the 90 degree corners!
So if anyone has any tips on that it would be more than welcomed.

IMG_20191210_121609.jpg
IMG_20191210_121204.jpg

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are going to run it like you show you need to use ether "pulling Elbows"

or "LB" condulets

For this installation I prefer galvanized rigid conduit because of the location but you will find it more difficult then PVC and if you have never run rigid conduit pipe find an electrician to help you. You will need a pipe cutter and threader and you need to know how to make the joints and debur all cut pipe.

You should use at least 3/4" conduit also. A little more money but it will make easier to pull the wire in. 1/2 inch is too small for this job.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
It would Look better if you ran the conduit on the roof and drop down to each camera. Or no conduit on roof and use a good cat6 UV rated gel filled direct burial cable. Or tuck/strap The wire under top metal flashing all the way around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the white siding is the point of building exit for feeding all cameras, I would find a different way up through the roof and feed cameras from the top roof area
A pair of tree branch cutters could disable all cameras by cutting the conduit

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree and it will be a whole lot easier not using conduit except where it is in reach of a vandal cutting the cable

It would Look better if you ran the conduit on the roof and drop down to each camera. Or no conduit on roof and use a good cat6 UV rated gel filled direct burial cable. Or tuck/strap The wire under top metal flashing all the way around.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Use water tight compression fittings for camera junction boxes and drip loop the wire before going into side of junction box.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello rufunky, what CCTV manufacturer have you settled upon for the job and what style of camera?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree and it will be a whole lot easier not using conduit except where it is in reach of a vandal cutting the cable
Use water tight compression fittings for camera junction boxes and drip loop the wire before going into side of junction box.
Are you both agreeing that I should run the conduit as I proposed in the first set of pictures to the roof then bare UV rated cable across the building and drop down to the cameras using drip loops going into the side of the camera junction boxes?

If I do run bare wire, I will have to run the cable on the top front of the building due to the way the rubber roof was installed. ( don't want to be drilling into the roof :eek: )

roof.jpg

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@rufunky - interesting project. Nice sharp pics and markings.
I'm a newbie but I'm going to throw out some questions.
Is this a residence or business?
Have you tested those camera mounting locations?
Seems you don't have a camera pointing towards the black door.
How come no cams on the front of the building?
One thing that sticks out to me is that I don't see any external lighting mounted on the building, front or back. Have you tested night vision?
Not sure what your objective is with the cams but if this is a business, I'd add lots of dusk to dawn lighting for security and to assist the cams night time vision.
Also for a residence as long as the lighting isn't a bother.
I vote for using metal conduit on the walls and paint to match and stay off the roof.
The suggestion to use the help of an electrician might be a good call. It's going to be a two person job on ladders to put the conduit up. Good luck!

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rufunky - interesting project. Nice sharp pics and markings.
I'm a newbie but I'm going to throw out some questions.
Is this a residence or business?
Have you tested those camera mounting locations?
Seems you don't have a camera pointing towards the black door.
How come no cams on the front of the building?
One thing that sticks out to me is that I don't see any external lighting mounted on the building, front or back. Have you tested night vision?
Not sure what your objective is with the cams but if this is a business, I'd add lots of dusk to dawn lighting for security and to assist the cams night time vision.
Also for a residence as long as the lighting isn't a bother.
I vote for using metal conduit on the walls and paint to match and stay off the roof.
The suggestion to use the help of an electrician might be a good call. It's going to be a two person job on ladders to put the conduit up. Good luck!
Hello windguy.

The middle camera location on the second picture will be facing the black door and window.
Its a business, there will be cameras on the front of the white bump out ( one facing each direction ) but the cable will run through the drop ceiling directly out to those cameras.
External lighting will be installed along with motion sensors and dusk to dawn lighting.

Thank you for your input :)

kroq83

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't screw thing to the rubber roof. It a very $$$$$ roof. Hotel in Vegas has it and it costly to install.

Use the bricks and mount on in wood with tar as glue to rubber roof if you use conduit.

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I understood what others were saying they were mainly talking about appearance. Running it conduit is definitely the best way in this application. Use galvanized rigid, LBs for the 90s Joint compound to seal the threads, You can paint the conduit to blend in.

If you have never run conduit now is the time to learn but find a commercial industrial construction electrician not a house wiring one to show you how to do it.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As I understood what others were saying they were mainly talking about appearance. Running it conduit is definitely the best way in this application. Use galvanized rigid, LBs for the 90s Joint compound to seal the threads, You can paint the conduit to blend in.

If you have never run conduit now is the time to learn but find a commercial industrial construction electrician not a house wiring one to show you how to do it.
This is the landlords building and he is already complaining about the added cost of the pvc conduit so I'm almost positive he doesn't want to add the expense of both hiring an electrician and using galvanized conduit. lol

What are the disadvantages of the PVC vs Metal?

SecurityCams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the landlords building and he is already complaining about the added cost of the pvc conduit so I'm almost positive he doesn't want to add the expense of both hiring an electrician and using galvanized conduit. lol

What are the disadvantages of the PVC vs Metal?
Deterioration in sunlight, metal provides shielding , Far more durable. You will want to clamp plastic at least every 6 feet or closer. The sky won't fall if you use PVC. If you want to paint it to blend in you will need to rough it up with some Emory cloth or some type of abrasive and clean it of all oil etc. but you can use ether type. My preference is rigid galv. for that install but do what you are able and don't worry about it. I do recommend LB condulets over pulling elbows which you can get in PVC . The reason is you need to avoid too tight of a bending radius in the network cable. The rule of thumb is no tighter than 4 times the cable diameter (check the specs on the cable you plan to use) so you may need to run 3/4 or larger conduit to avoid that. I rarely run any conduit less then 3/4 and for longer runs only 1" Easier to pull and add more wires, always pull a pulling string/rope with the wires so you can add without pulling everything back out.

Larger size conduit,.. This is to prevent the twists in the cable from gapping thus losing the benefit of the twists. A pulling elbow will look better but require you to bend the wire very sharply. Too small diameter of conduit will be a smaller turning radius in the LB also. It can affect the speed of your connection to the camera which you want to avoid.

The inside 90s can be done with pre-bent factory 90's You cannot use those for outside corners without standing the conduit off from the building. bad idea.

What you laid out in the photo for the install is fine.

Don't try to go too cheap, you are putting in a security system to protect your building consider the importance of a proper install or why bother at all. Painful though it may be on your wallet.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Deterioration in sunlight, metal provides shielding , Far more durable. You will want to clamp plastic at least every 6 feet or closer. The sky won't fall if you use PVC. If you want to paint it to blend in you will need to rough it up with some Emory cloth or some type of abrasive and clean it of all oil etc. but you can use ether type. My preference is rigid galv. for that install but do what you are able and don't worry about it. I do recommend LB condulets over pulling elbows which you can get in PVC . The reason is you need to avoid too tight of a bending radius in the network cable. The rule of thumb is no tighter than 4 times the cable diameter (check the specs on the cable you plan to use) so you may need to run 3/4 or larger conduit to avoid that. I rarely run any conduit less then 3/4 and for longer runs only 1" Easier to pull and add more wires, always pull a pulling string/rope with the wires so you can add without pulling everything back out.

Larger size conduit,.. This is to prevent the twists in the cable from gapping thus losing the benefit of the twists. A pulling elbow will look better but require you to bend the wire very sharply. Too small diameter of conduit will be a smaller turning radius in the LB also. It can affect the speed of your connection to the camera which you want to avoid.

The inside 90s can be done with pre-bent factory 90's You cannot use those for outside corners without standing the conduit off from the building. bad idea.

What you laid out in the photo for the install is fine.

Don't try to go too cheap, you are putting in a security system to protect your building consider the importance of a proper install or why bother at all. Painful though it may be on your wallet.
Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Do you recommend a pulling loop at each LB like recommended in this video?