Help with Camera Placement

0hhpySJ2

n3wb
Reaction score
HI! Need some help with camera placement I've taken a stab on possible placements in the attached pics. And the camera i'm thinking for each location. Welcome any feedback or better ideas. Back with Cams.png Side with Cams.pngBack with Cams.png Side with Cams.png

Heres What I'm thinking

Front of House 2 cams
Front Door/Porch- Dahua IPC-HFW2231R-ZS
-Watching proch
Driveway IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
-Watching the cars and driveway (not sure the location)

Backyard from right to left 3 or 4 cams
Backdoor- Dahua IPC-HFW2231R-ZS
- watching the backdeck stairways
Right Corner - Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
- watching backdoor exit and side gate
Left Corner - Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z5
- watching backgate/fence
Back Corner - Dahua IPC-HFW2231R-ZS
- overview of the yard (not sure if needed)

Side of house 2 cams
Dahua IPC-HFW2231R-ZS. with the chimmeny I'm not sure I can cover this with one cam or if there is a better location

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
looks good, imo. coverage of any easy way in is crutial. front door eaves trough may be in the view. maybe relocate to other side of door?

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @dudemaar , you may want that front door camera on the other side of the door so the gutter isn't in the way. You can then use front of the house as a guide down the right side of your capture rather than having the camera pointing at the front of the house. I would use a turret also, even thought there are plenty of pics on here of my 3MP verifocal bullets that I put on my house. This way no one can turn them or push them out of the way with a stick.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
move the door camera to the other side. Also move the camera down to about 6 ft up.
Recommend testing, use the Bucket and 2x4 to test the placement of each camera.
Also from the front door camera test with a person, have a friend put on a hoodie, baseball cap and sun glasses, if you can not easily identify him, then the camera is in the wrong spot.

The cameras under the eaves are nice to tell you what happened, but they may be too high to identify who.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as suggested by other members, in other posts

If you've not read the Cliff Notes in the wiki do it. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page
Always before mounting, use a 8'2x4, 5gal bucket, and rocks to make a move-able temp cam test rig. Test for 24hrs minimum.
Use this to help decide, IPVM Camera Calculator V3

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest at the front door, a Dahua mini-wedge with a 2.8mm lens mounted at 5-6ft from the porch floor next to the front door. On the door handle side.

Always test the location before permanent mounting.

Reaction score
Those locations look like what I'd pick if I was wanting broad coverage (i.e., wide angle), also consider varifocals so you can tweak them a little to optimize.

I know that identification of a subject will be harder if you are planning to put up several wide FOV cameras (say 85 degree plus). I personally love my wide FOV cameras, but they are only good for a general idea of what is going on. When your zoomed face is so blurry ID isn't possible of a subject driving a riding lawn mower across the yard (scalping it), walking up the sidewalk to kick in the door, or using the cover of darkness to do who-knows-what I regret them a little.

0hhpySJ2

n3wb
Reaction score
Good point on the gutter for the backdoor, I hadn't thought about that. As for the wide FOV camera I think i would setup the both doors to be tigher so they can focus on the upper half to capture a face. For the driveway cams, I'd set the field only on the cars. typically they're parked side by side to catch someone messing with them. the rest of them my partners wants to be able to see the entire area.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
This is why I like the smart functions such as line crossing and intrusion box with wide fov cameras. You get instant push notifications to app. I mean how often do you see a face if they are breaking in? A hoodie, balaclava sunglasses or low ball cap and you still won’t know who it is.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why I like the smart functions such as line crossing and intrusion box with wide fov cameras. You get instant push notifications to app. I mean how often do you see a face if they are breaking in? A hoodie, balaclava sunglasses or low ball cap and you still won’t know who it is.
Lots of times you see the face with proper cam placement.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
door bell cams are great for that. hidden and at the right height. If i was a burglar i wouldnt go anywhere near a home if i seen cameras. but then again those sketch bags probably dont even notice them or dont care.