Help with choosing cameras and placment

IdoP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Just moved in to a new house.

Need some help choosing what IP cams to buy and what type of cams.

I already have CAT6 wires to to marked locations in the pic, and it a brick wall, so no a lot of adjustment there.
I don't know what type of cameras to choose (bullet vs torrent?) and what models.
I have great experience with Dahua cameras using blue iris.
Would love some high quality 4K cameras, but I've read on some posts here that they aren't that good.

most areas are have good night light from street lamps, but I wouldn't want to depend too much on that.

In total I have 11 cameras locations. I can use all of them if needed.

My property is build on "stepped" ground, so it have 2 levels and stairs connecting them. not sure if relevant for the placement.
I've color coded the different heights and placements of the wiring that I have and marked them on the outer walls pic attached.

Also, Buying from Aliexpress is easier for me. but not a show stopper if there is a different alternative (seen a lot of recommendations here for EMPIRETECANDY)

Thanks

CamPlacment.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread that lists the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance:

IdoP

n3wb
Reaction score
Take a look at this thread that lists the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance:

as the cameras are looking at an rectangular area up to 50 ft:
Untitled.png

I need a something that can identify up to 50ft, but that should also see as much as possible closer to the camera. so "zooming" optically is not a good option i believe.
maybe I should get 1 vari-focal and test what's the best fixed-focal for each position?
I would like to be able to at least observe in most of the area, "recognize" will be better, but i guess that I can't have it all.
should I get 8MP or 4MP for such a test?

Cameras are way too high. 2-2.5m recommended.
Unfortunately, the positions and highs are pretty much set in stone.

2m is a problem in any case, there's been cases are burglars that try and break the cameras so a bit higher is better in my area.
In any case, I'll try to mount them as lower as I have spare cables to in each position.

Thanks both of you for the replys.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people have shown here that 4MP is the ideal sweet spot for surveillance cameras.

The 8MP make great overview cameras or if the distance for focus is 15ish feet away. The sensors on the 8MP really point out that these cameras are not infinity focus and everything before or after the focus length sweet spot is blurry.

Keep in mind that the higher cameras mean you get top of heads and hoodies. Much better to have lower and if they try to break them, then you at least get good captures of them.

One camera cannot do it all - if you want to IDENTIFY at 50 feet, that means a smaller field of view. You will need two cameras - one overview to see the whole area and one varifocal OPTICALLY zoomed to the pinch point at 50 feet away.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Go with the 4MP version.

You also cannot ID someone both at 50ft and 8ft. To ID someone at 50ft the area nearer/under the camera will not be viewable.

This is a varifocal set to 12mm and me at 40ft.

12mm 40ft.jpg

See also my thread below with height and focal length comparisons and why one camera cannot do it all.

IdoP

n3wb
Reaction score
Go with the 4MP version.

You also cannot ID someone both at 50ft and 8ft. To ID someone at 50ft the area nearer/under the camera will not be viewable.

This is a varifocal set to 12mm and me at 40ft.

View attachment 178329

See also my thread below with height and focal length comparisons and why one camera cannot do it all.

That's great for 40 ft.
how much "dead" area you have below and in front of the camera because of the optical zoom?

edit,
found the answer here:
"I want 2.8mm cameras everywhere to see everything..." - This is why you need specific FOVs with purposeful focal lengths. | IP Cam Talk
in this section "With the 4K-X (3.6mm) being used as a general driveway overview and to capture color details I have T5442T-ZEs ...".
seems that you lose a lot of area because of the zoom.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
That's great for 40 ft.
how much "dead" area you have below and in front of the camera because of the optical zoom?
But 50 ft would be the middle of the street and even worse.

The camera is mounted about 7' off of the ground, so that helps the dead area, but I don't have a solid number. I will see what I can find in my footage.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At 3meters high, optically zooming in to 50 feet will leave the majority of that 50 feet in a "dead" area.

IdoP

n3wb
Reaction score
any recommendation for 4MP 1/1.8" vari-focal that can be used to find the "correct" fixed-focal for each area?
Dahua is preferred as I have some experience with them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Just moved in to a new house.

Need some help choosing what IP cams to buy and what type of cams.

I already have CAT6 wires to to marked locations in the pic, and it a brick wall, so no a lot of adjustment there.
I don't know what type of cameras to choose (bullet vs torrent?) and what models.
I have great experience with Dahua cameras using blue iris.
Would love some high quality 4K cameras, but I've read on some posts here that they aren't that good.

most areas are have good night light from street lamps, but I wouldn't want to depend too much on that.

In total I have 11 cameras locations. I can use all of them if needed.

My property is build on "stepped" ground, so it have 2 levels and stairs connecting them. not sure if relevant for the placement.
I've color coded the different heights and placements of the wiring that I have and marked them on the outer walls pic attached.

Also, Buying from Aliexpress is easier for me. but not a show stopper if there is a different alternative (seen a lot of recommendations here for EMPIRETECANDY)

Thanks

View attachment 177562
HI @IdoP ..

The image shows placements 3-4M high (3m, 3.5m, 4m ) ..

Looks like the cameras are placed rather high to get good ID image captures of people close to the cameras ..

one option is to run conduit down the wall to a junction box to a better position for the cameras ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^This - at 4meters high, any fixed lens like the popular 2.8 or 3.6mm loses all of its IDENTIFY distance in the vertical.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
You can see how much of a difference 4m vs 7ft install height makes as you get closer to the camera and how the dead zone is affected.

4m install height and 50ft.

1700580185775.png

7ft install height and 50ft.

1700580255258.png

And, for reference, this is a varifocal bullet at 4m height and set to 20mm to get a better ID at 50ft. You can see how much the dead area has grown.

1700580584144.png

IdoP

n3wb
Reaction score
You can see how much of a difference 4m vs 7ft install height makes as you get closer to the camera and how the dead zone is affected.

4m install height and 50ft.

View attachment 178336

7ft install height and 50ft.

View attachment 178337

And, for reference, this is a varifocal bullet at 4m height and set to 20mm to get a better ID at 50ft. You can see how much the dead area has grown.

View attachment 178338
Thank you all. that really helped.

I'll try and order from @EMPIRETECANDY (I don't see any option for international shipping, just send him a PM).