Help with CPU performance [Solved]

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I got that but found out in the UI3 forum that its not possible to display larger views. For example I've got 2 cameras with a larger view than all of the others. Not a huge deal so I went and created some groups which is nice in the UI3 GUI

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Live view is the fps of the BI interface. Lowering it can have a large effect on cpu. Setting it to 15, or even 10 should still give you smooth viewing. With that many cameras, you may need to go to 5?

UI3 is awesome, I agree. And, i use it from time to time remotely to view and change BI settings. But, logging in remotely will always increase cpu by a factor of (cameras*quality)*cpu... or something like that.

Ti simply view the cameras when I'm away from the BI server, I use an android app called 'IP Cam Viewer' by Robert Chou, to view the cameras remotely. It logs into the cameras directly, and gives full control of the cameras. All camera settings are retained in the cameras, and by default, BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are running two Xeon E5-2690 CPUs the usage should be a whole lot lower than 45%.

Anyway, hardware acceleration is not supported by that CPU. Turn it off in Blue Iris and see if that helps (I'm not sure it will make a difference). Note if you turn it on and off globally you need to shut down and restart Blue Iris for the change to take effect.

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 - I'll give that a try and see what happens. Would a video card help any other than the builtin one?

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe BI does not support GPU acceleration.

It would most defiantly improve your overall system performance, since it's probably using a chunk of your system memory AND a bit of cpu. What does task manager tell you, or Sysinternals process explorer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
L
Ti simply view the cameras when I'm away from the BI server, I use an android app called 'IP Cam Viewer' by Robert Chou, to view the cameras remotely. It logs into the cameras directly, and gives full control of the cameras. All camera settings are retained in the cameras, and by default, BI.
This is silly...you cannot view recorded video...the blue iris app is far superior...additionally i will guess that you are not using VPN and are exposing cameras with serious security vulnerabilities to the internet...as an aside, ipcamviewer as been outdone by tinycam whos developer is a member here..both are not a good option when viewing blue iris remotely. Logging in remotely causes a very small cpu spike...

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought IPCamViewer years ago before I had BI and have kept it up to date, so.... that's what i've used - out of habit I suppose. When I hear a noise I have usually always go to IPCamViewer just to view - again out of habbit. I'm switching over to the BI Android app.

I have also bought the Android BI app, which is excellent. I use that a little more than 50% of the time. I just have to remember to use it!
BI Cpu usage increases maybe 1-2% when using the Android BI app, so it's very reasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought IPCamViewer years ago before I had BI and have kept it up to date, so.... that's what i've used - out of habit I suppose. When I hear a noise I have usually always go to IPCamViewer just to view - again out of habbit. I'm switching over to the BI Android app.

I have also bought the Android BI app, which is excellent. I use that a little more than 50% of the time. I just have to remember to use it!
BI Cpu usage increases maybe 1-2% when using the Android BI app, so it's very reasonable.
you should stop port forwarding your cameras...they are full of security holes.

Last edited:

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going VPN. Especially now that FCC repealed Net Neutrality. I'll wait to see what Congress does. If it stays repealed, it's the beginning of 'internet wars' between the isp's and other service providers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going VPN. Especially now that FCC repealed Net Neutrality. I'll wait to see what Congress does. If it stays repealed, it's the beginning of 'internet wars' between the isp's and other service providers.
The vpn that you would use has zero connection to net neutrality....the internet was just fine before June 2015....dont listen to the fools sending you into a silly panic...they simply like to shriek like little girls against any Trump administration plan...folks gobble that stuff up because they are incompetent to do their own research.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sayyyy whhhaaaatttttt!

So, your saying that the major isp's wouldn't block/slow traffic to competitor sites, or, hold streaming sites like Netflix/Hulu hostage by requiring them to pay $ to stream full speed thru the ISP's?
It's interesting that major ISP's have spent millions lobbying for the repeal, and at the same time, telling us they have no intention of block/slowing traffic (that they have spent millions lobbying for).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sayyyy whhhaaaatttttt!

So, your saying that the major isp's wouldn't block/slow traffic to competitor sites, or, hold streaming sites like Netflix/Hulu hostage by requiring them to pay $ to stream full speed thru the ISP's?
It's interesting that major ISP's have spent millions lobbying for the repeal, and at the same time, telling us they have no intention of block/slowing traffic (that they have spent millions lobbying for).
No they would not...you do realize that "net neutrality" was implemented in June of 2015...netflix and hulu worked just fine before that date...Use a bit of logic...they do want to keep their customers happy...want real competition and lower prices? Encourage verizon/frontier/uverse and others to keep building out fiber with incentives and deregulation so they can compete with the cable monopolies...I pay a fraction of what my friends do because my area has both fios and optimum available, while they are stuck with Comcast who knows that are the only game in town.
Someone really sold you a load of garbage.