Help with Hikvision NVR-based Motion Recording

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am testing the configuration of my DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR with my two Hikvision mini-dome cameras (DS-2CD2542FWD-IS). I am trying to get the NVR to

1. Record when motion is detected by the cameras
  2. Generate a motion detection event alarm based defined arming schedule
What seems to be happening (based on what I see the Playback screen of the NVR) is that the NVR is only recording motion events during the event alarm arming schedule but at not other times (so when there is motion outside the arming schedule window(s) the NVR is not recording these events)

Assuming my understand is correct (the NVR can be configured to record camera events on motion independent of the motion detection event alarm arming schedule) any ideas what might be wrong?

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So am I correct in my belief that the Hikvision NVR can be configured to record camera motion events independent of the motion detection event alarm arming schedule?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry not sure what you are trying to do here, but if you've set an Arming window for the Motion Detection, then it would not record motion events outside of these times.

The way I set it up is record constantly and then allow the Cameras to inform the NVR on events, motion and smart ones, so I can search the timeline.

Paul

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Paul,

Perhaps I interpreted the arming incorrectly then. I assumed this was an Alarm (e.g., a motion event that occurs when one is not expect, like when a business is closed) and that Motion recording in the NVR could be triggered independently of that. If that is not the case (as you seem to be indicating) then it seems my only option is to use continuous recording in the NVR as you describe (using the event alarms as marker for points of interest).

So on the local console interface (VGA) of the NVR there is a Start Recording menu option that includes "Continuous" and "Motion Detection", which applies this across all channels (cameras). Is this what you have done?

I just noticed the NVR has a per-camera Record Schedule that allows more granularity on what events are recorded (Continuous, Motion, Alarm, etc). I probably need to look at this menu setting to see if it allows the flexibility I am seeking. So per the image below, if I select Motion and apply this "All Day" then I think the NVR should record on Motion regardless of the Motion Event arming schedule (i.e., I think the arming schedule only controls when the Motion Event response actions (Linkage Method) are triggered). I will test this and report back.

Last edited:

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the NVR record schedule was set to Motion (all day), yet the Event arming schedule still seems to control when the NVR records motion events (as Paul indicated above). I guess what confused me is the camera behavior appears different. What I mean is my cameras have internal micro-SD storage, which records event (to its local storage) independent of the event arming schedule (the arming schedule was set to be the overnight hours, but the camera records motion events 24 hours to its local micro-SD).

What I have decided to try is Continuous recording to the daytime hours and then motion recording in the overnight hours.

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the NVR configured Continuous recording for the daytime hours and then Motion recording in the overnight hours seems to work fine. Also the NVR allows the detection motion events within the continuous recording window (i.e., outside the arming schedule for motion events). Below is a screenshot of the NVR Playback screen (web browser interface into NVR) with the Motion Detection applied (I have circled the button that enables motion analysis on the recorded content). These motion events appear as "Alarms" on the timeline. These allows easier review of recorded content, by allowing you to focus on motion events.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the 'EagleEye' button - to the right of the circled swizzler - do anything on your NVR?
It doesn't on mine. I've yet to figure out what it's for.

Rob Bond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the 'EagleEye' button - to the right of the circled swizzler - do anything on your NVR?
It doesn't on mine. I've yet to figure out what it's for.
I do not think it does (looks disabled), as perhaps it is a function of the camera's capability. I will, however, double check and report back.