Help with Hikvision NVR setup with Static Ip

bud23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am hoping one of you knowledgeable people can help me as I am kinda not getting too far.
My business has a router with static Ip.
I have a new hikvision nvr 4CH and 4 POE cameras.
The NVR is connected to the router via cat5 cable.
Now we just want to view the cameras remotley( WAN).I know I will have to forward ports on the router(technicolor), i can do this ok.
My question is how do I connect to NVR remotely?
I know I have to type the static Ip into browser, but I dont know how to set it up.
I do know a little about networking but not to much. There are plenty of youtube videos but they kind of skip over the static ip as most are using a dynamic IP.
Really any pointers/ videos/walkthroughs would be very much appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My business has a router with static Ip.
Now we just want to view the cameras remotley( WAN).I know I will have to forward ports on the router(technicolor), i can do this ok.
Do you do risk assessments for the business? Presumably.
Do you have damage insurance for the business? Ask them if it would be invalidated after you let the entire internet have the potential to have a go at the business network.
It's bad enough doing simple port-forwarding in a domestic environment, but you need to be aware that it's a risky thing to do when you have business data in play.
IP cameras and NVRs are very far from being hardened network appliances, with or without strong passwords.
Check out the recent high-profile incidents where hundreds of thousands of them have been compromised due to security vulnerabilities.

bud23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I appreciate your concerns. The NVR is specifically on its own network i.e. that IP is just for the NVR, the router is standalone and not connected to the LAN in any way whatsoever. The Wifi is disabled. I suppose the only real issue would be anybody gaining access to the NVR and viewing the cameras. At the end of the day lots of business' access cvameras remotely.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not so bad then, it sounds like you're aware of the potential issues and have managed them.