Help with IVS Tripwire and Intrusion

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for help on getting IVS to trigger BI. I setup the following in the camera and BI. I have all the options in Video Detection turned off currently. When I walk around the camera, nothing gets triggered in BI. What am I missing?

2022-08-30_13-48-26.png

2022-08-30_13-48-40.png

2022-08-30_13-48-53.png

2022-08-30_13-49-37.png

Last edited:

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't have "Get ONVIF trigger events" turned on in the camera video section. After turning that on it got a trigger. In regard to having both tripwire and intrusion active in the screenshots above, is that best practice? Is a Stright line tripwire OK or would zip zag lines do better?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Check under the video tab and camera IP.
Does it have the correct camera type?
Try using ONVIF type and see if the inputs show up.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't have "Get ONVIF trigger events" turned on in the camera video section. After turning that on it got a trigger. In regard to having both tripwire and intrusion active in the screenshots above, is that best practice? Is a Stright line tripwire OK or would zip zag lines do better?
FIne to have both tripwires and an intrusion box.

Whether zig-zagged or not depends on what/where you're trying to cover. If just to detect a vehicle/person coming into your driveway past to that point, what you have will work. If you wanted to trigger on someone coming in from the side then it might not. You could zig-zag it farther out and to the sides more if you wanted to get more. Your intrusion box should get most of that other than the gaps at the sides. Which you want for the box since it needs some spacing to see that it's crossed.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't understand why people use zig zag tripwires to cover a large area. It seems that an intrusion zone is a much better option in those circumstances - especially if you have both "crosses" and "appears" options checked.

(I'm not trying to say that I am right in my thinking. There really might be a valid use case that I just haven't though of).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand why people use zig zag tripwires to cover a large area. It seems that an intrusion zone is a much better option in those circumstances - especially if you have both "crosses" and "appears" options checked.

(I'm not trying to say that I am right in my thinking. There really might be a valid use case that I just haven't though of).
It really boils down to the field of view.

For many people either one works. For others, one works and one doesn't.

Here is a recent thread where someone was testing different options and SMD actually worked best for his field of view.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll layer both sometimes so if one doesn't work for some unanticipated reason then I have another way to catch whatever. Mostly just because I can and there's not really any downside for doing so. As long as it's not generating unwanted events at least.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My intrusion zone has a big tree shadow in the afternoon, and I am finding that on windy days, the shadow is triggering the intrusion zone. Would the best advise be to just use tripwire for this camera?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@archedraft You're the first instance that I am aware of to have a shadow trigger an IVS rule. Are you using SMD or motion detection rather than IVS? Those two can be triggered with shadow movement.

For IVS tips look at the last three pages of the thread mentioned by Wittaj. It will show you how, and why, to calibrate IVS quite well.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had that happen on one of mine a few times. About the only false IVS alerts that I can remember having. Late in the day people walking by on the sidewalk cast shadows extending into my driveway where I have zones set up. When the sun's just right the shadow is about the same size and shape as a human and it's moving through those zones so wasn't too surprised that it triggered but didn't really anticipate that one. Only happened a few times out of many, many walk-bys. Not sure why those times and not others.

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs Correct, I just have IVS turned on and the others turned off. From reading the other posts about IVS, that is what it seemed that shadows and night time car headlights shouldn't trip it, but I have had both happen.

EDIT: I should note that this particular camera (2231R-ZS) does not have people or car AI detection. That would probably help the false positives.