Seeking some guidance choosing first home camera setup

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I finally decided I do need to seek some help from a forum of knowledgeable people. Please feel free to correct anything where I'm mistaken.
I know enough to check out the intro forum first, and the second thread I see is titled "No, I didn't buy Reolinks!". No, I didn’t buy Reolinks! (No, I didn’t buy Reolinks!)

Well, I've been researching this somewhat off and on (due to other projects, etc.) and knew that ideally I'd want to put together/buy a used pc for the purposes of using blue iris, because I like more options, control, and freedom of choice of hardware and freedom from proprietary stuff (apps, software, etc.).
But certain events have increased the urgency, and I need to get moving on this asap. So I finally ordered the Reolink NVR 8CH, and an RLC-811A.
I was pretty sure I'd made a decent choice. I really didn't find much, if any negatives on their cams and NVRs (except some models I wasn't interested in, in amazon reviews). I partly base my choice on yt channels including digiblurDIY, Home Tech DIY, and The Hook Up, all of whom had very positive things to say about their products. The comparison videos that The Hook Up has done all have Reolink near the top in results (especially for cams that aren't very expensive, more professional brands(?) ), at least for image quality.

So, now I'm concerned.
My goal was to end up with a setup having 4, maybe 5 cameras, one of them being specifically for the front door for vistors, deliveries, shady characters, etc.. And those video doorbells seem kinda.. junk to me. I like the backstreet surveillance "porch cam", but the price, and me being in canada, ruled that out.

That's probably a long enough intro, haha.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for providing this forum. I hope I can learn, and turn, share some stuff I learn in the process.

(It might be worth mentioning I'm also trying to learn HASS on a Rpi4, for a diy intrusion alarm system, and ideally I'd like to be able to have this all work somewhat together. Cameras being able to interact with sensors and sirens and stuff. So far I've just got HASS on the Rpi though. And I know that the blue iris route is the way to go for this, right?)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want something that works properly, send the Reolink crap back, and get a refund.
The Hookup is a joke.
(2) Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)" | IP Cam Talk

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll view your two links, thank you. This is devastating. I'm back to square one, where I was over a year ago now.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I've been researching this somewhat off and on (due to other projects, etc.) and knew that ideally I'd want to put together/buy a used pc for the purposes of using blue iris, because I like more options, control, and freedom of choice of hardware and freedom from proprietary stuff (apps, software, etc.).
If this is the case, then you'd be likely be disappointed eventually with pretty much whatever NVR you got anyway. Just find a decent refurb and put up a BI server quickly. It won't take much more time to set up than a NVR and you'll have plenty of help getting up and running here. Your bigger time sink starting out will be getting the wiring and installation done for the cams. You can be setting up the computer while doing/having that done.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I finally decided I do need to seek some help from a forum of knowledgeable people. Please feel free to correct anything where I'm mistaken.
I know enough to check out the intro forum first, and the second thread I see is titled "No, I didn't buy Reolinks!". No, I didn’t buy Reolinks! (No, I didn’t buy Reolinks!)

But certain events have increased the urgency, and I need to get moving on this asap. So I finally ordered the Reolink NVR 8CH, and an RLC-811A.
I was pretty sure I'd made a decent choice. I really didn't find much, if any negatives on their cams and NVRs (except some models I wasn't interested in, in amazon reviews). I partly base my choice on yt channels including digiblurDIY, Home Tech DIY, and The Hook Up, all of whom had very positive things to say about their products. The comparison videos that The Hook Up has done all have Reolink near the top in results (especially for cams that aren't very expensive, more professional brands(?) ), at least for image quality.

So, now I'm concerned.
My goal was to end up with a setup having 4, maybe 5 cameras, one of them being specifically for the front door for vistors, deliveries, shady characters, etc.. And those video doorbells seem kinda.. junk to me. I like the backstreet surveillance "porch cam", but the price, and me being in canada, ruled that out.

That's probably a long enough intro, haha.
Thanks for reading, and thanks for providing this forum. I hope I can learn, and turn, share some stuff I learn in the process.

(It might be worth mentioning I'm also trying to learn HASS on a Rpi4, for a diy intrusion alarm system, and ideally I'd like to be able to have this all work somewhat together. Cameras being able to interact with sensors and sirens and stuff. So far I've just got HASS on the Rpi though. And I know that the blue iris route is the way to go for this, right?)
Welcome @Ethernaught

My best advice, based on what members here have experience with ..

Get
  • one used business class i5/i7 PC .. newer gen chip = better .. buy and install Blue Iris on it .. ( there are other options, Blue Iris is the most popular for the members .. so if you are in a hurry this is an easy pick .. )
  • one small PoE switch
  • a couple of runs of cat5e/6 cable with AWG 23 or 24 copper wire for testing.. ( I like to use bulk cable for my actual runs )
  • one good 4MP varifocal Dahua OEM camera from Andy with a 1/1.8" sensor
  • setup a test rig ..
  • and start playing around with it.

You will learn a lot more by playing with various possible positions for a camera, and using the varifocal to adjust the FOV ..

In general, we underestimate the number of cameras needed to get the coverage we want.

Do not trust most of the Youtube reviews on Reolink, Reolink does what it can to reduce negative social media reports ...

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, and your help so far guys (some of you who've replied to me in other thread(s) too). I'm an avid "forum goer" for several things, but I put off joining a forum regarding this project for a long time and shouldn't have. I feel like I chose the right place though.

I have been reading, and also having some genuine laughs at some of the reolink threads. And I have some more reading to do. But as I'm a little lost for direction now I have a few questions to get me re-started.

-Is there a thread that has a template or list of the important information I should provide the forum with in order to be able to better facilitate receiving good, relevant suggestions (on equipment, software etc.)? Ie: what my 'security goals' are, rough home dimensions/type, budget(?), setting, what features I need, etc.

-Should I start a dedicated thread for this endevour? Not continue here in the intro section?

-Are there many canadian users here? From my experience, being canadian is going to significantly change everthing (availability, prices - not just xe, usability - climate/weather).

Thank you.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A simple sketch of the areas/buildings you want to protect, with dimensions, would help a lot. Your overall goals are important as well. I'm in the camp that feels one camera should watch another. That means at least eight cameras for a rectangular, or square, house/building. Some think that's overkill and maybe it is, but it does eliminate blind spots and allows each camera some form of protection by the one watching it.

There are several Canadians on here and I'm sure they'll drop by if you start a new thread.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get Blue Iris going pretty fast on a used Off lease refurbed or just plain used, Corporate HP Elitedesk or Dell Optiplex.
You don't have to build a PC and purchase Windows 10. for $250 bucks you can get a machine with a Primary SSD drive, 16 GB ram, Win 10 Pro, and then get a copy of Blue Iris.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I bet I've bought 20 Dell Optiplexes over the years, and all of them still have parts available on ebay. Just a matter of googling a bit,,,,discovering the part# and then plugging that part number into an eBay search. and boom you got parts.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can get Blue Iris going pretty fast on a used Off lease refurbed or just plain used, Corporate HP Elitedesk or Dell Optiplex.
You don't have to build a PC and purchase Windows 10. for $250 bucks you can get a machine with a Primary SSD drive, 16 GB ram, Win 10 Pro, and then get a copy of Blue Iris.
I still have ebay search result alerts coming in via email for some Dell Optiplex model, after hearing a suggestion for a BI machine. Haha.

I'm just starting to read one of the threads I was told to check out.
In the meantime, can someone maybe offer a few places that carry some of the commonly recommended here, that are either canadian retailers or that ship to canada. I'm not a fan of ebay, but I'll use it if I have to. And does this EmpireTec have an online store. I'd like to get at least some idea of what these cameras cost.

While It's on my mind, is/was anyone else concerned about windows itself being being malware? I'm only half joking. I'm guessing there's no choice anyways.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi friends, I'm new here, I'm writing from Spain, so please forgive my bad English.

I find myself in the same situation as the colleague who started the post.

I just recently acquired a REOLINK RLC-811A, and I came across these posts. I had noticed those ghost images in low light conditions, and thought of returning to amazon.

I am very interested in the AI options to delimit the zones and detect people, here I have seen Dahua one step ahead.

I had thought of acquiring this new version, with SMD 3.0. and TIOC 2.0.

IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3

Do you think it's a good option? As you can see in my attached image, here you can see where it is installed and the ambient light conditions there are.

What also seems is that these Dahou suffer from ghosts as you can see in this comparison.

Another point that I need to clarify is the integration with HomeAssistant where I have integrated my security system with ALARMO.

Thank you all for keeping this site so interesting.

EDIT: I forgot to capture my installation at this very moment.

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi friends, I'm new here, I'm writing from Spain, so please forgive my bad English.

I find myself in the same situation as the colleague who started the post.

I just recently acquired a REOLINK RLC-811A, and I came across these posts. I had noticed those ghost images in low light conditions, and thought of returning to amazon.

I am very interested in the AI options to delimit the zones and detect people, here I have seen Dahua one step ahead.

I had thought of acquiring this new version, with SMD 3.0. and TIOC 2.0.

IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3

Do you think it's a good option? As you can see in my attached image, here you can see where it is installed and the ambient light conditions there are.

What also seems is that these Dahou suffer from ghosts as you can see in this comparison.

Another point that I need to clarify is the integration with HomeAssistant where I have integrated my security system with ALARMO.

Thank you all for keeping this site so interesting.
Welcome!
Study this: Sebastiantombs Cam Tips

isabido

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I already saw the fantastic summary message.

What is clear is that the distance to cover in my house is less than 15 feet. I think that with the 2.8mm wide angle, I can even identify according to DORI.

What I do not comply with, according to Sebastian's recommendations, is to use a 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor, in the model I have chosen (IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3) it is 1/2.7".

It could go to a 2MP camera to comply with the 2MP=1/2.7 rule, but it would lose all the new features of the more advanced AI of the new S3 series.

I think that in my case this new IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3 would be a good balance point

I would like to hear your opinions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With double the megapixels on the same sensor size, 1/2.7", the 4MP camera will need twice as much light to produce video. At night that means lighting things up like a baseball or football stadium for a night game if you go to 4MP. This is the physics of photography and not an arbitrary statement. If you want "features", like basic AI, human and vehicle detection, and an onboard microphone, have a look at the 3241T-ZAS. It's in the "new generation" but a 2MP version and a 1/2.8" sensor (could be a 1/2.7" can't remember for sure). I have three of them and they are excellent cameras with great bang for the bucks.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already saw the fantastic summary message.

What is clear is that the distance to cover in my house is less than 15 feet. I think that with the 2.8mm wide angle, I can even identify according to DORI.

What I do not comply with, according to Sebastian's recommendations, is to use a 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor, in the model I have chosen (IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3) it is 1/2.7".

It could go to a 2MP camera to comply with the 2MP=1/2.7 rule, but it would lose all the new features of the more advanced AI of the new S3 series.

I think that in my case this new IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV-S3 would be a good balance point

I would like to hear your opinions.
If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside. Outside the red/blue light is more gimmicky than anything else. Nobody will see it unless they are looking at the camera. And the distance isn't very far due to not being an ideal MP/sensor ratio.

You can make it siren or say "You are under surveillance" or add your own audio.

The video quality at night is comparable to any similar camera on same sensor and lens size. The biggest problem is people buy this camera expecting to IDENTIFY at 60 feet and no 2.8mm or 3.6mm will do that. But if you are under 15 feet it will be ok.

My 2MP AI has been spot on.