Help with layout and cam selection

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now that the inside renovations on my house are finally done, I can address the replacement of the existing outdoor security cams around my house. I attached a pic showing my lot and the house, with the location and number of each existing camera (pointing angles are only approximate). These are old analog B&W cams that were on the house when I bought it. They still work but are pretty bad. Very low res. I'd like to replace them all with PoE/PoE+ cams that will give me the best bang for the buck (figure $300-$500 per cam) - excellent low light performance and detail capture, PTZs where needed. I see the recommended Dahua 49225 is no longer available, so I guess that will need to be addressed.

My plan is to use the existing through points on the house that were used for the analog cams, to act as the new through points for UV rated Ethernet. Right now Position 1 is a PTZ. I think it might make sense to have Position 2 also be a PTZ. I plan to try to do this during the cooler winter months. I'm in Central Florida so the cams will have to be rated for a lot of heat and driving rain, and ideally not be overly demanding in terms of maintenance. I know how to run and terminate Ethernet, and have a bit of experience with old style smart tracking surveillance systems from about 20 years ago, for the government (using FLiRs etc). But I haven't kept track with the latest in sensor performance and all - especially for more affordable cams. Help is greatly appreciated.

I guess I need to ask - is it worth still using analog cams? Since I already have the power and coaxial lines in place, are there analog cams that are as good for the price as the PoEs like the Dahuas that are often recommended?

It'd be a lot easier (if not providing the best performance) if Ring made real outdoor cams that were PoE. I already have other Ring products, but it doesn't look like I can get what I want with their outdoor cam solutions.

Attachments

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The benefits of hdcvi are cost in both cameras and not having to recable. Or you could go ip over coax adapters, but that can sometimes be as expensive as recabling depending on skill and structure. As far as your diagram goes there’s a big blind spot in your back yard between 4 and 5.

tony22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't mind running Cat cable through my attic. Already did that for my internal hard wired network. I can use the existing coax as a feeder to "pull" the Cat out to the through points around the outside of the house. Yes, I was thinking I'd add another camera at that #5 location. I'd just pull two Ethernet cables out that way.

I don't want to throw money away :), but since I'm going this far I guess I should add that the cams ideally should be ONVIF compatible. At least then I'd get some usability with them through my Ring setup.