Help with new cam

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bit of an intro first,

I installed an analogue cam system with a Dahua DVR and 4 variable lens cams over 5 years ago but the quality by todays standards is terrible so I thought its maybe time to upgrade

There only really needs to be 1 cam at my place that looks up the driveway as this is the only entry point

So I thought I'd purchase and test out a Dahua 4m HFW4431R-Z from aliexpress - (one of the main companies with lots of pos feedback)

anyway I have plugged it in to my router using a cat 5 and a 12v 1A plug pack but router and dhcp does not detect it at all?

I have tried using an older Dlink router
I have tried using another 12v plug pack and another cat 5 cable
I have plugged it into my computers Ethernet port but doesn't show it in network connections either?

the IR leds do light up on the camera when placed under desk

I have ordered a POE injector plug pack but waiting for it to arrive
I was thinking of getting a 4 channel Dahua NVR but at the mo not sure if I need 3 more cams

does the camera have to be plugged into a NVR for it to work?

I should probably add I don't currently have a viable net connection but waiting any moment for my fibre to be connected then I was going to try out some of the cloud subscriptions (in place of an NVR?)

any suggestions would be very useful

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
anyway I have plugged it in to my router using a cat 5 and a 12v 1A plug pack but router and dhcp does not detect it at all?

I have tried using an older Dlink router
I have tried using another 12v plug pack and another cat 5 cable
I have plugged it into my computers Ethernet port but doesn't show it in network connections either?

the IR leds do light up on the camera when placed under desk

I have ordered a POE injector plug pack but waiting for it to arrive
I was thinking of getting a 4 channel Dahua NVR but at the mo not sure if I need 3 more cams

does the camera have to be plugged into a NVR for it to work?

I should probably add I don't currently have a viable net connection but waiting any moment for my fibre to be connected then I was going to try out some of the cloud subscriptions (in place of an NVR?)

any suggestions would be very useful
It has a static IP address. The 12V 1A power supply should work. The cameras default address is 192.168.1.108. Is your home subnet 192.168.1.X? I'm assuming you're on a Windows box. While plugged in to your router, can you ping it from a command prompt? Can you enter its address in to a compatible web browser (IE, Safari) and get to the login page and load the plug ins?

SD

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thankyou for replying

shouldn't the router (TP link TLWR941) display the camera as being connected?

I have tried 192.168.1.108 in my exploder address bar and tried ping in command prompt (destination unreachable and timed out)

I did try the diagnostics on the router and got the same thing

I can briefly hear something happening when I power the camera (lens moving?)

hopefully within a few weeks I will get a new VDSL router perhaps this will work?

perhaps I got a dud camera? or the plug pack is not supplying enough current? or power only works properly though the Ethernet connector?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
T
Thankyou for replying

shouldn't the router (TP link TLWR941) display the camera as being connected?

I have tried 192.168.1.108 in my exploder address bar and tried ping in command prompt (destination unreachable and timed out)

I can briefly hear something happening when I power the camera (lens moving?)

hopefully within a few weeks I will get a new VDSL router perhaps this will work?

perhaps I got a dud camera? or the plug pack is not supplying enough current? or power only works properly though the Ethernet connector?
typing 192.168.1.108 will do nothing if your network is not on that subnet.
As SD suggested, what is your network subnet? Put more simply, what is the ip address of your router?

muddypuddle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my network address is 192.168.0.1

Update,

yes thankyou for prompting me - I thought that subnet was default for nearly everything

I was being a dingbat - I changed it and now I can log on to the cam via exploder

initial impression is that the camera is a million times better than my analogue ones but there does appear to be a lot of compression compared to my various other 1080 cams (phone, carcam, SLR) but I suspect that its because its only 8 mbit and not 17 - 20?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score