Help with nvr p2p device offline.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Im having problems at my brothers place, who lives out in the country and has internet via wireless bridge AP on his roof connected to a good Asus router in his office .
I installed a Dahua NVR system awhile back and just can’t seem to get the p2p on the idmss app to connect. It says device is offline but in the Nvr under network easy4ip it says online. I can access cameras on the app via lan ip/domain.

I’ve installed many of these systems and never had this issue yet. Hoping someone can help me out. I’m thinking it may be the Outdoor AP from the Internet company blocking it? Also The Ring Alarm system notifications work fine when they are not home.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im having problems at my brothers place, who lives out in the country and has internet via wireless bridge AP on his roof connected to a good Asus router in his office .
I installed a Dahua NVR system awhile back and just can’t seem to get the p2p on the idmss app to connect. It says device is offline but in the Nvr under network easy4ip it says online. I can access cameras on the app via lan ip/domain.
Has it been working and recently stopped?

I’ve installed many of these systems and never had this issue yet.
Are any of those that DO work on the same ISP with same wireless method?

I’m thinking it may be the Outdoor AP from the Internet company blocking it?
Is this cellular wireless deploying carrier-grade NAT?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you supply a network diagram showing the subnets and IP address ranges ?, It is not clear how the NVR connects to the office, Is that via another private wireless link (bridge) between yourselves ?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Tony it has never worked yet.

We purchased a new router because old one wifi wasn’t that good. But the new asus router gave me a address of 192.168.50.???

I know nothing of this internet provider called silo. It’s a AP unit outside pointing into the sky. And a wire coming into house which goes into what looks like a poe injector/adapter then into our new asus router.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the support page of your ISP, Silo, here:

"INTERNET FAQ's

Q: Can I access my internal network from outside my home?
A: No. In order to access your internal network or computers from outside of your home you will need a static IP address. If you require one of these please contact our technical support team. The cost for a static IP address is $10/month +tax

Q: Can I use VPN services with Silo Internet?
A: Yes. In most cases, VPN services will work normally but in some circumstances certain settings may need to be tweaked. Please call our tech support team if you have problems connecting over VPN."

Reaction score
Dahua P2P doesn't require a static IP address. I've had a bit of trouble with P2P lately, same as you describe. Device says P2P is enabled and online, but only some devices can connect, others can't. A reset of the device has sorted it out thus far, but it is annoying. Try restarting the NVR and see if the problem persists.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have yet to go over there and call silo tech support. But I do know the ring alarm system I installed works on there phones when they are away. It’s just when they get a ring alarm notifications they can’t see who is there on the idmss app.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have yet to go over there and call silo tech support. But I do know the ring alarm system I installed works on there phones when they are away. It’s just when they get a ring alarm notifications they can’t see who is there on the idmss app.
I assume ring is simply "relaying" on their cloud services to get the push notification to you.

A "simple" way to verify if your ISP is actually trying to sell you that static IP or just not wanting to help you out:
step 1: go to What Is My IP? Shows your real public IP address - IPv4 - IPv6 ->> note down the IP address you see
step 2: go to your asus webinterface (I assume 192.168.50.1)
step 3: go to first topleft menu: network map: look at the interfaces: you should see the 192.168.50.x range as "LAN", but what is of interest is the WAN side: is that the same or different as in step 1?

If yes, then your ISP gives you a "direct" WAN IP address. It might change over night (as it will be provided through DHCP). If it's not, you are effectively "forced" to "buy" a WAN IP address.

But then again, I would not recommend using the P2P connectivity. As you probably had to enable UPNP to "configure" that p2p, it lowers (or better said: undermines) your networking security. For push notifications to work (on NVR/IPC), you only need a working outbound TCP2195 connectivity. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. To actually view footage from "outside", you need to connect to you LAN first and then hook up the video feeds. In other words, if in step 3 you have a "publicly" accessible WAN IP, you simply deploy OpenVPN on your ASUS router, you connect with the OpenVPN client app to your router and iDMSS works like it currently works on your local LAN (ip/domain).

At least you can than turn off p2p, uupnp and all those other "phone home" systems.

Hope this helps!
CC

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua P2P doesn't require a static IP address. I've had a bit of trouble with P2P lately, same as you describe. Device says P2P is enabled and online, but only some devices can connect, others can't. A reset of the device has sorted it out thus far, but it is annoying. Try restarting the NVR and see if the problem persists.
OUTGOING e-mails and push notifications will work, even with no public IP (WAN), even in carrier-grade NAT (like most cellular wireless ISPs); it's the INCOMING traffic that is prevented by not having a public IP.

Reaction score
Right. I guess I should consider myself lucky then! I'm in New Zealand, and using a wireless ISP. They give each customer a static public IP as standard.

karl1980

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
guys need yr help on this one.

setup; 2 ip Dahua connected to poe switch / poe switch connected to LAN / Dahua NVR connected to Poe switch.

NVR p2p keeps showing offline and i can't remotely view my cams on app, nor consults the cam individual by browsing 192.158.x.xxx

what am i not seeing here?

btw: all tech comes from @EMPIRETECANDY and very satisfied

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
guys need yr help on this one. setup; 2 ip Dahua connected to poe switch / poe switch connected to LAN / Dahua NVR connected to Poe switch.
NVR p2p keeps showing offline and i can't remotely view my cams on app, nor consults the cam individual by browsing 192.158.x.xxx
what am i not seeing here?
Where did you get that IP address from?
Is that what your router says it is or is that what you assigned the router initially? If so, did you make it static?

karl1980

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where did you get that IP address from?
Is that what your router says it is or is that what you assigned the router initially? If so, did you make it static?

i meant 192.168.x.xxa nvr / 192.168.x.xxb cam 1 and 192.168.x.xxc second cam

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i meant 192.168.x.xxa nvr / 192.168.x.xxb cam 1 and 192.168.x.xxc second cam
Did you assign those IP's and did you make them static in all devices?
I ask because if the NVR and cams are left at DHCP, your IP's may have changed.

karl1980

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you assign those IP's and did you make them static in all devices?
I ask because if the NVR and cams are left at DHCP, your IP's may have changed.
i assigned those Ips. Where in the NVR menu can i see if they are static?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i assigned those Ips. Where in the NVR menu can i see if they are static?
Should be under "network" settings. But with p2p it shouldn't matter so much about the NVR, it's the cams that I'm wondering about since it's not a POE NVR (with POE NVR, the NVR operates as DHCP server and assigns IPs to cams like a private LAN). But again that will be under "network" settings in the configuration of the cameras as well.

Have you tried using Dahua's Config Tool? The link to download it and instructions are located in The Cliff Notes under "Using the Dahua Config Tool " .

karl1980

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should be under "network" settings. But with p2p it shouldn't matter so much about the NVR, it's the cams that I'm wondering about since it's not a POE NVR (with POE NVR, the NVR operates as DHCP server and assigns IPs to cams like a private LAN). But again that will be under "network" settings in the configuration of the cameras as well.

Have you tried using Dahua's Config Tool? The link to download it and instructions are located in The Cliff Notes under "Using the Dahua Config Tool " .
that's the issue, i can't access the cam settings as the page 192.168.x.xxa or b wont open