Help with planned setup

sam988

n3wb
Reaction score
New to this forum and am very impressed at the amount of information here.. you guys are awesome.

I wanted to see if you had any recommendations for planned setup.

Setup will be BI PC with Cisco Switch and cat6 drops to all locations. planning on 24/7 recording

The house is 2 level + basement and surrounded by woods. There is not much light outside at night so low light cam is a must
house_layout.jpg

Was talking to Andy, he was recommending IPC-T5442TM-AS for front cams and IPC-B5442E-ZE for rest

Do you guys have other suggestions or think those are good options? What do you think about these camera locations?

Was thinking doorbell camera for spot B - Armcrest Ad110 (would like POE and not wifi but doesnt seem to be a real option)
F would be only internal camera for inside garage (which do you recommend here?)
G is located near a flood light
E is off the back deck, do I also need another 2 at the other corners? or on the house instead of deck?

for A was toying with idea of putting auto-tracking ptz as well as a fixed cam? but this is probably overkill and just for fun

Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
I like CamA and CamC for double visual angles to front area. CamB is great for door cam. I digress about CamD and CamG. Why in middle of house structure? I put my relative camera's on the corners, facing towards front of the house to capture entire side area along with motion activated LED 110v spotlights.
If your concern is forward of house... you look to be in good shape. If I were a evil person, I would come in from the backside where only 1 camera is present at CAME. If finances permit, I would slap in rearward facing cameras at the corners of CAMD and CAMG. But, that is just me :) If totally dark dark dark, consider IR Blasters for dark areas for backyard, 2 pitbulls, and a DJI Mavic drone camera. Just saying.... :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

The first thing to do is check out the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. The Cliff Notes in there are worth the read and contain a lot of guidance in terms of cameras and camera placement. Take notes, seriously!

The next thing is that you're trying to cover too much area with too few cameras. As Looney2nes says "you want to know who did it, not just what happened". My personal setup, and recommendation is a camera on each corner of the house looking back at the other camera to provide good overlap. That translates into a minimum of eight cameras for a rectangular house. At the garage, especially if you park outside the garage, a camera at each side of the door is the way to go. While a doorbell camera might be OK, I'd add a wedge camera as well, better optics and better facial recognition possibilities. Then, you can add an extra, front and rear, mounted in the center to provide overview further out from the house.

They all don't have to go in at once to save budget problems. Critical areas first then fill in the rest. If you're pulling cable to each location, if you have one camera there, pull two cables. If you have two cameras, pull three. Who knows, a cable can get damaged or you may want to install a PTZ or a specialized camera at some future date.

Reaction score
also...CAM-F (inside garage camera) could be a 2MP camera. I slapped in 2 x 2831's 8MP cameras as is my wood working shop and I want to see when (if) it put my finger thru the table saw blade :)
CAM-A could be PTZ, but you would also need a 100% fixed for-certain 5442 type camera to supplement your PTZ.

sam988

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies - yes read the the cliff notes. extremely helpful

I think you are right I will need Camera at back corners opposite D/G (and get rid of E?) or what you're saying is 2 on each corner for total of 8? (this would make wiring runs easier for sure)

What do you think about those two camera models Andy suggested?

And what about the recommended model for indoor cam F?

Reaction score
he was recommending IPC-T5442TM-AS for front cams and IPC-B5442E-ZE for rest
Realize that the IPC-T5442TM-AS is a fixed lens turret cam. You will have to choose which lens you want to give you the FOV you need. They come in 2.8mm, 3.6mm and 6.0mm.

The IPC-B5442E-ZE is a varifocal bullet. The Cliff Notes will tell you the difference between a turret and a bullet cam.

For the garage, I am currently using Dauha IPC-T2431T-AS-S2. They are perfect for that job and are fairly inexpensive ($80). When the lights are on in my garage, the color is great. When the lights are off, the IR image (B&W) is great also.